FreqFinder Review

NewEndian

Hello folks, it's been a while I know

First let me say, I've gotten more time to do app work more recently. I have had to devote some time to the iOS7 update, but there are some other new things in the works. A couple new features and a new app in the works.

I'd like to talk about a review that I read the other day on iTunes:

Frequency Finder - 1 star

by Orbsound - Jul 30, 2013

This might be a fine app... if it didn't shut down all the time

Of course having such a review is incredibly damaging, and I don't have any way to respond to it, so of course I encourage all of my users to contact me with any issues. I take pride in making myself available as such, and it's really to the benefit of all users.

But more importantly, since I can't ask him, I'd like to ask if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. I know that the app has the potential to crash, but I have not had it crash even a noticeably frequent amount. Does anyone else feel that FreqFinder crashes frequently?

Thank you,

James

I've had the occasional crash with the android version but not so frequent to be a problem really. And I feel like since the last update there have been very few. I'll try to get in touch next time it happens.

I wouldn't worry about one negative review too much, it's a great app.

" Of course having such a review is incredibly damaging, and I don't have any way to respond to it, so of course I encourage all of my users to contact me with any issues. "

unfortunately, this is not unique...

thus my Senatorium: 'contact the manufacturer' (aka <old cap>)...

I'm sure if you had heard from this 'reviewer', you would have resolved any issues.

Hmmm, spoke too soon,

I was using it today, and I copied a list and renamed it.  In the new list all the (previously approved) frequencies had red exclamation points beside them.  When I went into a specific frequency and tried to look at compatible frequencies, I got the endless rolling wheel of doom.  

Was able to replicate this when I made another new list from an existing one.

Closing and reopening the app didn't change anything, but a full iphone reset brought things back to normal.

I also have the TV add on and have been changing the location attached to the lists, which may have some bearing on the issue...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

iphone 3GS IOS 6.1.3

Hey Brent. www.newendian.com has a basic instruction for FreqFinder. But it doesn't go into that much detail.

Deleting is done by swiping across the profile in the list. It's a common mechanism for iOS, so it's a (perhaps false) assumption that users have encountered it before.

Thank you for picking up on the copying profiles issue. I will look into that.

Sincerely,

James

So FYI, I had another user with a crashing problem contact me. Reseting the app data did the trick so I suspect a rare kind of race condition problem on initial setup. It will be hard to track down. But I know now that it is a legitimate problem and have a small idea of where to look.

Also, very big thanks to everyone who reviewed the app. I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graham.

My apologizes, are you sure you mean sound reports? FreqFinder deals in transmitters. And 138 is a lot of transmitters for one list. I'm not sure I've ever been able to load up 138 channels in one list (I'd be interested to see it if you have, just email me the ffx file: newendian@gmail.com). Lastly, are you using the iOS or the Android version?

Thank you,

James

While learning to use Freqfinder on Android, I found that I would inadvertently close the app repeatedly while attempting to move through the various screens. I still do it after not using it for a while. It's strictly operator error, but perhaps the negative reviewer was expressing frustration with this tendency to close the app. 

Actually it's the latest IPhone version. I've had to train myself to hit the title screen on the top of the menu to get the master list of project files or the menu of profiles. It's definitely not a deal breaker but the only issue I've come across. It just doesn't have that natural flow of a folder within a folder that you can go into and back out of.

Hi Dustin. That is a deliberate design decision made for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that the transmitter list page is meant to be the dominant page of the app. Users are not expected to switch tx profiles frequently, but they are expected to move in and out of the app frequently and the first page they should see is the profile they are continuing to work in. I did not want the tx profile list to eclipse the main page in importance by emphasizing its encapsulating effect (even though it was important to maintain the pan back animation).

Other reasons include the sliding menu button is most intuitively placed where the regular back navigation button would go. The title bar button is both intuitive enough to warrant the profile change, and it emphasizes the title nature of the bar, where it helps users understand where to look to change the name of their profile during edit mode.

I do appreciate your feedback. And while I do believe this will continue to be the mechanism for changing tx profiles, I hope it is more clear why I made this design decision.