New iPower 9V alternative from Tenergy

Derek H

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ordered 6 of these plus the charger. Couldn't find much online in the way of meaningful reviews. One video review claimed that they perform more like a 350mAh 9 Volt but his testing methodology seemed odd. 

At $5/piece if they totally blow I'm not out much and will have a nice 6-bank multi-chemistry charger and can just try another type. The Hitech 600mAh are about $12 a piece. iPower's are still the most expensive from what I can tell.

I'll report back after some field time. 

I have discovered one minor annoying thing about the Tenergy six bank charger: the 6 charging spaces that both have terminals facing in, back to back, makes getting the polarity connection correct when fitting the 9 volt battery. They failed to reverse the + and - markings not taking into account that each side is a mirror layout. It is a small detail and thankfully the actual connection terminals seem to be fairly well (mechanically) polarity protected.

post-1-0-35154100-1376750660_thumb.jpg

I'm just wondering about the long-term use of the Tenergy 9V. I was always under the impression that lithium poly can maintain their capacities longer than lithium ions. 

I'm in need of replacing a number of my iPowers, so I'd really like to see how these hold up. $25 vs $5 is huge. :)

I have been using the Tenergy 250mAh for about 6 months now, almost exclusively for Comteks. We usually make it a whole day if they get turned off when not in use, but if left on continuous, I would estimate about 7 hours of run time. When I put them in my 411s however, you gt about 45 minutes of use before the 411 starts acting strange. The sound will either distort or the 411 will turn off. No low battery warning, and this only happens when I use these batteries specifically.

I ordered a couple of these and have been using the same batch for 6 months:

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Charger-pieces-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0040V2T3Q/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1376761273&sr=8-26&keywords=tenergy+9v

So I just received my charger/battery combo from all-battery and one of the LED lights is not working. Also a few of the slots when empty light red instead of green which isn't what they're supposed to do. So strike one.. . I'll be sending the whole kit back to exchange for a new one.

I don't know about the iPower compatibility either way. My feeling is that you'd be okay to charge iPowers in the Tenergy charger as it's charge current is about half that of the iPower charger. Not sure about the other way around. I doubt you'd get either company to give a definitive answer regarding the other's product.

I have been using the Tenergy 250mAh for about 6 months now, almost exclusively for Comteks. We usually make it a whole day if they get turned off when not in use, but if left on continuous, I would estimate about 7 hours of run time.

Alan, I've been getting about 10 hours of Comtek use from the Imedion 230mA rechargeable 9V's. I try to police them and unplug them at lunchtime, but I've rarely encountered situations where they go dead during a 12-hour day. But I haven't clocked them to see exactly where they die (though I have done this with Lectro transmitters and AA's). 

I've been using the 500mah tenergy's for almost a year now. I've had very good results using them in my comteks (216's). I find they last about 2 long shoot days before I need to swap them out. I find the transmitter begins the battery warning a few hours earlier than the receivers.

The charger, as Jeff mentioned, is laid out a bit odd and requires some flopping to get the polarity right. But they do protect against putting them in backwards, it's just a minor annoyance.

Very happy with them so far and haven't found any diminished capacity after a year of use (using the tenergy 6 bank charger).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Six month update.. I've used the Tenergy 9v fairly constantly since purchasing in August. The show I'm on now has seen 1/2 the batteries fail. Issue popped up when after a days use and charge would discharge within seconds of turning the Comtek on. All told 1/2 the original purchased batteries are dead.

On the bright side, the charger is great.. I've used it with a few iPower 9v with a few other China branded 9v and works great.

The tenergy case is not very sturdy and started flaking apart with normal use. When they were new the Tenergy worked well, just not sure they have the construction to withstand daily use on set...