New iPower 9V alternative from Tenergy

Derek H

I've had 8 tenergy 9v's and the 6 bank charger for about a year and a half now. All 8 batteries have been going strong and no noticeable decrease in performance over time yet. They don't see extreme heavy use though, as they are just for my comteks which often stay in the case more than they are used. I have noticed the outer "wrapping" around the 9v is pretty weak. It is just basically a tight plastic wrapper that has the branding and writing on it. They are starting to peel after repeated use in and out of my 9v battery holder/clip. They are all still on, but starting to see wear and tear. Pretty sure even if the wrap came off that it wouldn't affect performance as it is just a cosmetic wrap.

Just my personal experience. I may have just been lucky with a good batch. I have heard other reports of some Tenergy's being duds on arrival.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some Tenergy RCR123A rechargeable Li-Ion batteries and a charger a couple of years back.  The charger had issues so I called Tenergy and they said they'd send a replacement -- but I never received one.

The batteries take a looong time to recharge.  Four of the eight batteries still work.

Since when do Eneloops come in 2700mAH?

I thought the white ones were 2000 and the XX black ones were 2500.

there are Sanyo 2700mAh, but no eneloop version afaik.

the 2700mAh are similar to other high capacity NiMhs, i.e.:

if you take them straight out of the charger and go to work, they show nice high capacity (and the sanyo can be found very cheap)

if you leave them unused for a couple of days, they will have dropped below the eneloop 2500mAh in usable capacity.

if you leave them unused for a couple of weeks, they will be even below the eneloop 2000aAh.

personally i use the 2500 eneloop for everything that needs long runtimes and the 2000 eneloop for pretty everything else.

chris

The black Eneloop's, that I have been playing with, are marked 2400 mAh. I understand they are 2500 typical and 2400 minimum. I am measuring 2300 mAh plus or minus a few ma's. This is after 5 cycles of charge-discharge, charged at 1000ma and discharged at 500 mA. They are remarkably consistent. I might mention, I have never gotten full capacity out of the various 2700 mAh batteries that are on the market.

Best,
Larry F
Lectro

the Sanyo 2700mAh have the advantage of being very affordable, and if you use them straight out of the charger you'll get maybe 10% longer runtime over a eneloop 2500mAh on low current draw devices.

however, in many conditions, like if you leave them unused for a few days or if the device draws high current then you'll be better off with the eneloop 2500... and for long storage times or very high current draws the eneloop 2000mAh are still king (at a good price too).

personally the convenience of low discharge with the eneloop is more important to me then the slightly higher (true) capacity of any of the 2700mAh+ cells - plus they are fantastic cells otherwise too, so i don't use any other batteries anymore.

chris

Have you used the Sanyo 2700 batteries with SMV transmitters? If so, how long do they power the SMV's?

I have, but not enough to get a good read on them. They power my Zaxcom Stereoline TX for about 7 hours, and my SB-T for 3-4 shoot days. I have them as backup in my Nomad and they have been holding charge pretty well for occasional use (I charge those less than once a month). In the Stereoline their performance is similar to lithium batts.

• 3 years later...

Reviving the thread as I'm looking for 9V batts and charger: how are these other iPower alternative brands going now, a few years later ? was it worth the expense instead of going with iPower products ? If some of you guys have the newest Li-Po 700mAh batts; do they actually fit into Comteks ?

I once bought some Tenergy batteries and a charger (not 9v.). I had a problem with the charger and called Tenergy who said they'd send a new one. That was several years ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

On the other hand, everything I've heard about how good iPower service is (I haven't had the need to contact them myself), would lean me in that direction.

I too would like to know which rechargeable 9V people are using in their Comteks these days?  I have a boat load of Hitech 720mAh bats bought for my older Lectro transmitters but can't use them in the Comteks or my Deneke slate.  They will eventually break the hinge on the Comtek battery door and get stuck in the slate. My old Soshine 500mAh bats fit good in the Coms but the new higher mAh ones look suspiciously similar to the Hitechs.

Thanks ayushahuja and John, MSheldon this is exactly my concern about the newer iPower batteries (700mAh)  (will they fit in my Comteks ?) 

Anyway, after doing a little more research on the web and reading about different complaints about "defects", "won't charge properly" or  "not usable after a year" I decided to order the iPower 700s along with a charger and will see if that fits. Apart from the Comteks, everything I have in my kit is using AAs or AAAs so that'd be a bummer.

You all have a nice day !

22 minutes ago, Boomboom said:

Thanks ayushahuja and John, MSheldon this is exactly my concern about the newer iPower batteries (700mAh)  (will they fit in my Comteks ?) 

Anyway, after doing a little more research on the web and reading about different complaints about "defects", "won't charge properly" or  "not usable after a year" I decided to order the iPower 700s along with a charger and will see if that fits. Apart from the Comteks, everything I have in my kit is using AAs or AAAs so that'd be a bummer.

You all have a nice day !

Over time I find the iPowers (500 and 520, in my case) swell and then aren't a good fit.  However, they last me many years before that's an issue.

I've been using the iPower 9v equivalent since they first appeared. The first ones with blue print were quite big and really only fit Lectro 411 receivers well. Since they appeared in Purple print, up to and including the newer 700s, they have been fine in Comtek PR216s. They last for years.

Got it.  The Hitechs do swell a bit but even new they were too big for the Coms.  It would be great if the Tenergy fit and were reliable. I'd love to buy a 10 pack with a 10 bay charger.  My old Soshine charger takes for ever to charge and it's only 2 bays.  Probably will just have to spring for the iPowers.  

As an aside the Hitech bats have been great besides fitment.  They've held up well over the two years I've had them.  None of them have died.  I don't use them much anymore because, much like Boomboom, it's mostly AA bats in use these days.