Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures

Jeff Wexler

John Purcell has just released the 2nd Edition of "Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures." Many of our members ask about where they can learn more about the work we do and I have always stressed the importance of understanding the whole process as much as possible. Books have been steadily falling out of favor as a resource and this is unfortunate. I firmly believe that reading the few books that are available for us has a value that is distinctly different than the quick online snippets that so many rely on as the only source of information and education.

-  from John Purcell:

Our craft is timeless, but the technological world in which we work is changing constantly. In the seven years since I wrote "Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures", many things have changed. And many things have not changed. The big motivator in writing a second edition was to get the technology, workflows, and tools up to date. Then I got ambitious. The result is a book somewhat different than the first. “How different?” is pretty subjective.

Here are the major changes:
The technology, techniques, and workflows are brought up to date. 
There’s a chapter about life on the set: roles, processes, politics, and priorities.
Digital picture: How to avoid the classic pitfalls of working with picture files, plus discussions of   codecs, frameworks, interframe vs. intraframe, and the like.
The chapter about noise reduction has been updated/upgraded significantly. The chapters on conforms and ADR are also more substantial.
I added to and tweaked the chapter that deals with actual editing, but it didn’t change all that much—after all, editing is editing is editing. There’s also a chapter that provides tips and tricks from dialogue editors worldwide.
There’s a brief discussion about cross-platform session exchanges. 
The chapters on mix prep and dialogue premixing have been beefed up. More time is spent on the tools and the process, including in-the-box mixing.
There’s more history in this book. I feel that where we’ve been tells us a lot about where we’re going—plus, it’s fun to read. But since some readers are not interested in this, I’ve made it pretty easy to “skip ahead to the good stuff.”
The cover is now green. green.

Sprinkled throughout the book are quotes from all sorts of film professionals—big and small—who talk about dialogue, dialogue editing and mixing, and how they, as pros, relate to dialogue editors. 

The book’s as up to date as a printed text can be, there’s certainly more information (448 pages), and lots of illustrations. And there are the zillions of nip-and-tuck changes that you'd expect in a second edition. Go to Amazon and use “Look Inside” to check it out (at least what they’ll let you see).

Then decide for yourself if the second edition is a good investment for you.

Thanks,
John Purcell

Another vote for Purcell. 

My books cover dialog editing in a chapter, and so can just scratch the surface. Purcell gives it a whole book, and digs into all the details. He's also a good, clear writer... something unfortunately rare in technical crafts.

And yes, I've just started updating my book about the whole soundtrack process. New workflows, new types of gear, new wireless headaches, and new stuff about conceiving a good track. Like Purcell, the new book includes bits and pieces from some top practitioners in our various crafts. And our mutual publisher, Focal Press, has also given me more pages and the ability to include video as well as audio tutorials and diagnostics.

This is almost a year-long process. So don't expect my new book very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well I just placed my order, partly on y'alls' recommendation and partly on the quality of the other Focal Press books I've bought. But it is with some sadness. Sadness because my school, Santa Fe Community College, with its growing film department eager to support the lively movie and TV industry in New Mexico (Breaking Bad is not our only gift to humanity!), to me seems way behind in building up a reference section in our school library. I'm kind of an oldster so I value books, and I understand that the department needs to divide its budget between faculty and equipment to give us a hands-on learning experience, and I also understand that there is a lot accessible on the internet, but a library collection with as many books like Purcell's as possible should be a no-brainer (uh, maybe not the best choice of words). I'll lobby the school librarian and try to rally the faculty. I realize that from an author's or publisher's point of view, a good library collection might prevent a purchase like mine, but that seems short-sighted: if we experience the value of such books during our school days, once out working in the world, many of us will still want those resources for our own shelves.

[my school] seems way behind in building up a reference section in our school library...

Eric, see if your school subscribes to Safari Books Online. It's a great effort and resource started by two big tech publishers and now working with a bunch of good publishers. 

SBO has special pricing for academic and public libraries (my local library systems subscribe):

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/academic-public-libraries?iid=2013-libform-ctacorp-box-a

And they have both Purcell's book (not sure about Jay's):

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780415828178

If your school library doesn't already subscribe, ask them to. And while waiting, see if your local public library does and/or  consider your own subscription (granted, it's $20/month).

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/subscriptions

Ya, for some material electronic books don't match paper books. But the Safari people are doing really useful stuff.

Best,

Jim