Anyone still using the Deva2 ?

larry long

What happens when your scsi DVD Ram dies? They are hard to come by these days. Is there a way to change out the interface card to firewire?

Larry

I do not think the SCSI port can be altered in anyway on the Deva II. There were some experiments in the past with SCSI to Firewire adapter arrangements but then I stopped using the Deva II and went on to the Deva IV, I stopped following all of that. As far as SCSI drives go, we just had a presentation from HHB on the current state of their PortaDRIVE recorder and they still use a SCSI DVD-RAM drive (external) as one of the ways to get material out of the machine. The external drive is now bundled into the cost of the machine but is sold separately as an option (probably expensive). The other alternative is probably Glen Trew, Remote Audio, and their DirectDrive enclosure. I think they still do a SCSI drive. I have a total of 2 SCSI DVD-RAM drives and 2 Firewire drives, all in external enclosures, 12 vdc powering, and I do not use any of them anymore.

I'm not sure whether Peter Kurland is on board here or not but I believe up until very recently he was still using his Deva II and probably knows the availability of external SCSI DVD-RAM drives.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

What happens when your scsi DVD Ram dies? They are hard to come by these days. Is there a way to change out the interface card to firewire?

Larry

Remote audio makes box that has a SCSI connector on back and and IDE DVD-RAM inside.  http://www.trewaudio.com/direct_drive.htm

Mine works great.

David Terry

Remote audio makes box that has a SCSI connector on back and and IDE DVD-RAM inside.  http://www.trewaudio.com/direct_drive.htm

Mine works great.

David Terry

Larry,

Jeff's posting makes mine redundant.  When I began to write my reply Jeff had not posted his... Talk about quick service! 

David