Auratone 5C speakers

al mcguire

Remember Auratone speakers?

During the 70's & early 80's they were a must have item in a recording studio.

They were used to simulate what a mix would sound like in the real world.

A friend of mine was clearing out a closet and found a set of them. He was about to toss them when he decided to do an ebay search and found sets were going for $600. I remember them costing $70 a pair.

Amazing.

post-72-0-21654700-1376932697_thumb.jpg

These were the standard in every television facility / control room I had worked in right up until the early-90s ... 

For "lack better terms":, they were the "lowest common denominator" of speaker that one's mix might be listened from, either from  a car radio, a "hi-fi" (always loved that term!) or your state of the art 19" mono television. We were always instructed to mix, using them in sort of an A/B comparison... Primaries were usually JBL 4311s, I think.

While everyone else was trying to be the high-resolution leader in control room monitoring, Auratone cubes stayed right where they were, filled the L-C-D "niche", and they sold thousands and thousands of them.  

As the quality of television speakers began to improve - Sony and Mitsubishi sets actually marketed with "best sound" in the forefront - I started to use them less and less, and instead would check my mixes off the nice cue speaker on the good old Ward Beck consoles, as these speakers were not only good, but I could easily get a mono mix by monitoring the tape recorders record heads...

Good find Al, - But if I were your Auratone buddy,  I'd take $600 in a heartbeat and can the nostalgia !

MF

I don't recall them being that cheap, but used a pair as "broadcast ref" monitors for years and years, until TVs started to have higher fi sound.  I never liked the sound, but like the Yam NS10 they were cheap enough that everyone could have them and small enough that you could bring your own if they didn't.  Radio producers especially liked them since they would be a consistent monitor sound for them from studio to studio.  They also had a certain element of "if it sounds good on these, it will sound good everywhere"--an exaggeration of course but a comforting one in those times.  Can't say I miss them.  If someone wants to pay a lot of money for them, sell them!

philp

Genelec were my NF of choice, but I always had a pair of Yamaha NS-10, and Auratone monitors for confidence checks.  Weather mixing an album or a commercial for air, these nasty little monitors would give you a good representation of the "real world".  90+% of the masses enjoying our trade don't listen through hi-fi/quality monitors.  They listen to the stock speakers in their TV's, laptops and their cars.  Before I got the Auratone's I use to take my mixes out to my car, on cassette, and make sure that everything sounded balanced in the worst monitoring environment I had available (1968 Plymouth Fury III).  Trust me, if the voice nicely cuts through the mix with good body or the bass sounds nice and round on Auratones... you've got a mix that works. 

To echo though... I think I only paid $70 or $80 for the pair, so if anybody wants them for $600+... good luck, and enjoy.

What surprises me is that there are two Auratone replicas made today (or at least really recently):

Avantone MixCubes (several models, passive, active, etc):

http://www.avantonepro.com/Avantone-MixCubes-Full-Range-Mini-Reference-Monitors.html

1003-0.jpg

Behringer BEHRITONE

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/C5A.aspx

C5A_P0A9P_Right_View.jpg

There are probably others. What an amazing world we live in.

The great thing about Auratones wasn't that they were mediocre speakers that supposedly represented the real world*. It was that they were consistent. Between the care in their construction, and the fact that they were always used in the nearfield, any Auratone in any studio sounded exactly like the Auratone in any other studio.

They could also handle a reasonable SPL without rattling or buzzing.

You couldn't say that about any two random tv or radio speakers, or even about any two edit monitor speakers in a 1/4" deck.

---

* You couldn't "represent the real world". No two TV models sounded the same. 

They were commonly referred to as "awful-tones."

An old colleague of mine used to hate them, and due to the acute suckyness, called them "blow-o-tones" - he eventually left the south for Boston and over time became, and is still today, the lead sales and marketer for Genelec !  That's dedication for you...

Philip and AVU - I forgot all about the Yamaha NS-10s !  Yes they most certainly overtook Auratones, and of course, the mandatory tissue paper "filter" that became the norm for many mixers ...  a major trend -

Who started that tissue paper thing? Lillywhite? Clearmountain? EVERYone was doing it....

MF

Who started that tissue paper thing? Lillywhite? Clearmountain? EVERYone was doing it....

Ya, I think I heard Clearmountian. But I recall a fun takedown article years ago in RE/P or somewhere...Ah (thanks Google):

Examining the Yamaha NS-10M “Tissue Paper Phenomenon”

An Analysis of the Industry-Wide Practice of Using a 

Tissue-Paper Layer to Reduce High-Frequency Output

Recording Engineer/Producer Magazine, February 1986 – by Bob Hodas

http://www.bobhodas.com/examining-the-yamaha-ns-10m.php

Back to Auratones: Anyone know anyone who still uses them?

After the Auratones I went to JBL Control Micros as a "broadcast ref" speaker for the same reasons we used the Auratones--that peculiar combo of consumerish sound with the ability to play loud w/o rattling and hold up under daily use.  (Even getting doses of high volume high-speed-wind "lifter drop" audio from analog multitrack decks!)   They reflected the increase in clarity and top end that newer TV sound systems began to get in the late 1980s.  I still have these in the studio, although they rarely get listened to anymore.

philp