Zaxcom wireless boom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the areitec rig until I got my TRX742, it's a great rig and had no problems with it, quality of audio was to my ear no different to a cable. I actually think the areitec system might be a little lighter than the 742, it's a bit more fiddly but not much. My boom uses it on the mic end of the pole unless long swing time or length when its cabled to a a belt pouch, never rigged it on the end of the boom as don't use internal cabled booms here either.

Regards,

Chris.

New product from Cinela called HADES

They put the VDB phantom supply inside the PIANO microphone windshield.

I really don't understands why anyone would want to do this. I loved my vdB powering cable that I used almost everyday for the 20 years I used Audio, Ltd. wireless --- one of the best things about the Audio, Ltds the ease with which we could power a microphone directly from the transmitter whether for the boom or typically, for me, a quick plant mic. But why put that power INSIDE the windscreen?

Not a hijack but lots of people have used the MM-1 as a front end for wireless boom work. That combination does not provide any return monitoring, remote control via Zaxnet or backup recording. Using the MM-1 setup does give you one of the nice features of the 942 which is the ability to listen to the mic directly off the preamp.

Not a hijack but lots of people have used the MM-1 as a front end for wireless boom work. That combination does not provide any return monitoring, remote control via Zaxnet or backup recording. Using the MM-1 setup does give you one of the nice features of the 942 which is the ability to listen to the mic directly off the preamp.

You could add an ERX or a Comtek or LectroIFB if you wanted return, and feed it through the MM-1, and this setup does do backup recording.

The TRX900LA would be controlled via Zaxnet and will have the backup recording.

You could add an ERX or a Comtek or LectroIFB if you wanted return, and feed it through the MM-1, and this setup does do backup recording.

Yup, this is true. Most of these items are regular pieces of gear so it shouldn't be too hard to piece something like this together if you already have Zax wireless.

Most of the wireless booms you see over here (UK) seem to be an audio 2020/2040 TX at the mic end.

The only solution I've seen for the end of the pole is Ambient's QAPL adaptor (the large hole clamps round the boom): http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qapl.html

Another problem I've come across with most cabled poles is that you can't securely fasten some plug on transmitters, as they screw around the XLR barrel and the XLR connector is flush with the pole.

Here's my current setup with an Sennheiser 8060 and SKP3000 transmitter

20121123_160109.jpg

Most of the wireless booms you see over here (UK) seem to be an audio 2020/2040 TX at the mic end.

The only solution I've seen for the end of the pole is Ambient's QAPL adaptor (the large hole clamps round the boom): http://www.ambient.d...ories/qapl.html

Another problem I've come across with most cabled poles is that you can't securely fasten some plug on transmitters, as they screw around the XLR barrel and the XLR connector is flush with the pole.

Here's my current setup with an Sennheiser 8060 and SKP3000 transmitter

20121123_160109.jpg

I use an ambient qat with my zaxcom trx742 plug on:

http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qat.html

ao

The only solution I've seen for the end of the pole is Ambient's QAPL adaptor (the large hole clamps round the boom): http://www.ambient.d...ories/qapl.html

A lot of mixers in the UK use this bracket which fits between the pole and the mic mount.

I personally have never heard a complaint from a boom op about using one.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.post-233-0-79533200-1354790357_thumb.jpg

Sorry if I missed this--but on your pic the cylinder next to the TX is what--a mic PSU?

Re MM1 use--no BU recording (that hasn't been an issue for me yet), we do TB via a separate Comtek channel that is only my TB mic, turned down low in the boom op's headphones (via the MM1 moni rtn input). So far the boomies really appreciate the clarity (and lack of latency) of what they are hearing right off off the MM1. I talk them in on the TX gain. Not all the big Zax solution is, but workable with parts that can be used other ways too.

philp

Not trying to hijack but here's my poor man's TRX942 concept. (I haven't tried it yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work)

MM1

NeoPax Ankle Strap

TRX900LA

I do see a problem with this - the out of the mm-1 is line level and the input of your zax is mic level.

If you have a STA 100/150 and a regular trx transmitter, then yes, I think it would be a good set up.

Here's what I've been testing, though not thoroughly yet:

remote level control and recording, etc. I would use an erx for headphone return.

post-146-0-28892500-1354817405_thumb.jpg

I do see a problem with this - the out of the mm-1 is line level and the input of your zax is mic level.

If you have a STA 100/150 and a regular trx transmitter, then yes, I think it would be a good set up.

Here's what I've been testing, though not thoroughly yet:

remote level control and recording, etc. I would use an erx for headphone return.

Does the Deneke (I assume it's a PS1-a) care that it's seeing 3.3v at it's output? Or do you have some kind of DC block in there?

It's a PSC supply. And I don't know. I plan on calling Ron to double check. The folks at Zaxcom said the TX should be fine. I don't see how it would be a problem as people use a similar setup with a Lectro TX all the time.

In the TA5 connector of Lectro Transmitters, you set the Bias voltage depending on how you jump (or not) pin 4. There is an option for the bias voltage to be 0V, which is what I assume people use when they don't need to power something on the other end. In that case, the PSC (I was close...) box would see nothing, but in the Zaxcom case, it would see 3.3v - I don't believe there is a way to shut the mic power voltage off.

Probably won't do any damage, but I'm just curious.

In the TA5 connector of Lectro Transmitters, you set the Bias voltage depending on how you jump (or not) pin 4. There is an option for the bias voltage to be 0V, which is what I assume people use when they don't need to power something on the other end. In that case, the PSC (I was close...) box would see nothing, but in the Zaxcom case, it would see 3.3v - I don't believe there is a way to shut the mic power voltage off.

Probably won't do any damage, but I'm just curious.

Just got off the phone with Ron. He said it should not be a problem with the 3.3v being supplied to the output of the PSC phantom supply. He suggested though that I might put in a low value resistor between pins 1 and 3 of the female xlr connector that goes into the PSC.

I will do some full mic and listening tests now and report back.

-g-

Just got off the phone with Ron. He said it should not be a problem with the 3.3v being supplied to the output of the PSC phantom supply. He suggested though that I might put in a low value resistor between pins 1 and 3 of the female xlr connector that goes into the PSC.

I will do some full mic and listening tests now and report back.

-g-

That's great! I've been thinking of making something like this too, good to know it's supposed to work. :)