Working for Al Jazeera America any different?

Tyler Faison

I haven't been asked to work for Al Jazeera America yet, but I am curious if anyone else here has already worked for them and had any input on whether they are any different from the other guys in terms of payment standards and whatnot. I just figured things might be different when run from Qatar. Maybe not?

Ive done 2 shoots for them and their payroll service is Maslow Media out of DC. Neither job has been paid yet, but I expect payment at the end of this month.

Has anyone watched it yet? I spent 7 days working on their launch video- the first hour of programming that they were on the air today- but unfortunately I don't get the channel on my cable system. From everything I saw, I am really looking forward to their news coverage.

Marc

They are US-based, with headquarters and one of 3 broadcast centers in New York. The other two are in San Francisco and Washington DC. They have or also will have bureaus in Seattle, New Orleans, Nashville, Chicago, Miami, Denver, Dallas, Detroit and Los Angeles. A couple of guys I know helped light their DC facility, located in the Newseum on Pennsylvania Avenue next door to the Canadian Embassy.

Best regards,

Jim

A colleague has been working on a documentary (mostly OMB, interviews & run-n-gun) for them, for the last couple of months. The rate is good and the working conditions are more than acceptable.

It's possible that individual producers / production companies are setting the rates, so you guys in NYC may have gotten a greedy and/or "thrifty" producer - you can always set them straight…

HTH,

BK

I worked for them on a documentary almost 6 years ago. It was made by a friend. I surprised to see the budget they had sent her did not have any allocation for production sound. But she somehow managed to get some money out for sound. Which turned out to be a decent sum.