Erase your files on rented gear

Tilt Down

I'm not so sure, not my gear, I'm not going to erase anything, unless specifically told. I'm not going to be that guy that takes the fall if for some reason their media backups fail and go looking for the files on the production gear.

Yeah, use your own media (better yet, client's!), or back up to a personal drive and then format.

EDIT: (better yet, client's!) I actually hate using client media because I'm always skeptical of its condition but it might be best practice for politicians to buy the media...

" I'm not going to be that guy that takes the fall if for some reason their media backups fail and go looking for the files on the production gear. "

we have thoroughly thrashed the topic of our keeping of backups,  but in this case the PSM has turned the client's material over to a third party...in the current case political ads, so the material may be sensitive.  if it were to get out from some fourth party perhaps (the next customer to rent the machine), guess who could be help responsible....

I bought a used 788T a while ago from one of the usual suspects and on its internal drive was an entire day's worth of audio files from a huge upcoming film, from one of top directors/actors and PSMs. Really interesting to hear that work and what goes on on such set. It even contained some data in the sound report menu.

I really enjoyed that, but of course it shouldn't have been there. The shop at the very latest should've erased the HDD.

• 2 weeks later...

sure the  PSM has responsibility, but if this politician is talking sh*t with camera and sound rolling, then he/she has to be prepared to answer for it.

No. In the political commercial world we are neutral. And we are the guardians of the data. It does not have to a scandalous statement or comment that is the issue, the issue is the confidentiality of a yet to be released political message getting into the wrong hands.

This is a trust that is critical.

No. In the political commercial world we are neutral. And we are the guardians of the data. It does not have to a scandalous statement or comment that is the issue, the issue is the confidentiality of a yet to be released political message getting into the wrong hands.

This is a trust that is critical.

i very strongly agree with this. I rarely sign NDAs, but it is clear to me anyway that I would never violate the trust someone puts on me when I record their voice. Same goes for radio mics. I always let an actor know that they will never be heard unless they are actually on the set ready to shoot. This is the same kind of trust and I think if I violate that, I'll be out of a job soon