Ben

Anybody know about Portable appliance testing is?

I am going for a shoot in Scotland and the location we are filming in is requiring we have Portable Appliance Testing stickers for everything. I am not sure they know what they are talking about. The producers have been asking around NYC (adorama, able cine, etc.) and no one really knows what p.a.t. Is or where to get our appliances tested.

Anybody know what this is about or what it applies too?

Wiki page is not that helpful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_appliance_testing

Thanks,

Ben

its a safety test.

anything that is mains powered will need a test and possibly a certificate (just a printout from what i have seen)

so assuming you are battery powered you will be fine.

company i used to work for got everything in their warehouse PAT tested after the BBC stipulated that anything that came onto their site had to be PAT tested. i never remember anyone at the BBC wanting to check any paperwork though. 

but it is always good to regularly check that equipment is electrically safe.

could be worth looking at hiring lights locally - remember that we work on different voltages here - and the hire company may well already have their stuff tested.

sure there are some scottish sound people here who could point you in the right direction.

Thank you Rich.

I understand the rational behind testing. But, location has stated that they will be looking at our paperwork. Is there anybody in the US that can do the test? Really, i just need it for my battery charger (which is cool with 240/50V) and DP wants to bring a few small lights (also 240/50v compatible). We would love to rent, but we are there for such a short time and we will be in a remote area we may not have time to get to a rental house.

Thanks everybody.

is there any kind of electrical safety testing that can be done in the states?

will the location accept that?

do you need to plug your charger in at the location? will you not be able to charge at your hotel, who are presumably less fussy about what is being plugged in.

Asking for safety certifications suggests that the location may be hazardous in some way.

When seeking permission to film on a supertanker some years back I was asked if my camera was "intrinsically safe." I had no idea what this meant. Eventually I learned that it was a particular safety standard that applied to work in the petroleum industry and maybe others as well.

I think whoever is behind producing the project ought to be able to advise you and assist in getting whatever clearances might be needed.

David

Tell us the location, and maybe someone will be able to find you a local test centre, as Tim says, they travel.

It is a distillery in Speyside. Lucky me right?

It may just be for a few lights. I think I will just charger batteries at my hotel.

Thanks everyone for helping me with this. The client is being remarkably unhelpful, and just insists that we insure that our PAT is accounted for.

ah. sounds like one of those translation things where the other person is hoping to make you understand by blindly repeating the same thing over and over again, rather than explaining exactly what it is that is required.

maybe your DP should consider the possibility that they wont be able to use any mains lights and look into battery powered panel lights? - though heaven forbid a sound person should suggest anything to do with lights.

" I am not sure they know what they are talking about. "

it depends...

.... on who 'they' are.

personally, I bet 'they' do...

this is not really particularly unusual, and it is required.

Many times "locals" are less than pleased when outsiders come into their terrirory to work, instead of the locals getting the gig.  this stuff is what they already know and deal with, and part of the logic in their attempts to provide value for being hired...

OTOH, dealing with this stuff is part of the joys of traveling on these gigs../