How reliable is the Schoeps CMC6 MK41 in Hong Kong weather...

Bernierao

• 1 month later...

Just a quick follow up. I've been using a Shoeprs cmc5 41, a sennheiser mkh40 and an mkh60 in extremely hot and humid weather in Macao and Hong Kong and they work flawlessly. The only real problem is city noise. It seems to be everywhere, all the time.

Unfortunately I decided to go with a Zaxcom Fusion for this job (I normally use Sound Devices) and I absolutely hate this thing. The limiters don't seem to work. The Effects Package is just a name there that doesn't do anything but worst of all is the file naming.

I had to spending an afternoon trying to figure out out how to retrieve metadata - take names, scenes, comments, etc - and how to convert them into wave files. I also have to output a scratch track to a couple of Scarlets and I can't find a way to attenuate the signal. I wish Zaxcom could give some sort of output level control.

I can see this is an efficient piece of gear but honestly I wouldn't buy this machine. It's to expensive to be this complicated to operate. I understand that it's good not to lose a whole take because you ran out of batteries but I would rather lose a take then having to deal with this everyday.

I'm going to guess that you just didn't spend enough time with the machine. Zaxcom has a very... Um, different way of organizing things. You can still attenuate the outputs. The metadata is actually (in my opinion) the strong suit of the deva/fusion line. I would urge you to grab a copy of the manual and go through all your options again.

Yes, it's weird that some things are buried under a button called "my deva". It's also weird that the internally generated sound reports build the track columns as "name 1" "name 2".

Again, quirky stuff.

But what you seem to be having trouble with is actually really straight forward once you know that machine.

A week later...

I'm starting to like the Zaxcom a bit more now. I still think is over complicating things a lot. The sound reports are not to bad. I wish the Zaxcom could be more like the sound devices 702/744 where I can organize my takes by folders like a computer instead of having to rely on an excel type of document to go organizing files later. It would be nice to write longer notes as well. I still need to read the manual a bit more I guess.

Quality wise the recordings are coming out quite good.

I think the only time I ever had problems with my CMC641 was when I used to detach the capsules from the power supplies to store them. Once I stopped that and left them connected, I had no moisture problems. Baltimore and DC are pretty frickin' humid in the summer.

As for the CS3e, it's not so much a shotgun mic because the main element is at the tip of the mic, whereas with shotgun mics, the capsules are at the bottom of the tube. Being at the tip means you're at least six inches closer to talent.

Regards,

Ty Ford

" I always thought shotgun referred more to the look of a mic "

the manufacturers mostly consider them "interference tube" microphones, based on the acoustic construction...

I've always though shotgun indicated a scattering effect, and though these should be called rifle mic's, or carbines!