Monitoring Options for Wireless Boom

Michael Panfeld

Just skimmed the topic again - for those of you using an ERX for your boom ops to monitor, does the transmission delay BACK to the boom op cause any issues or annoyances?

With an MM-1 or TRX942 setup you can listen to the mic directly, but using a Zaxnet receiver (or even a feed back through a Lectro digi-hybrid) has delay....

Haven't had any complaints so far.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just skimmed the topic again - for those of you using an ERX for your boom ops to monitor, does the transmission delay BACK to the boom op cause any issues or annoyances?

With an MM-1 or TRX942 setup you can listen to the mic directly, but using a Zaxnet receiver (or even a feed back through a Lectro digi-hybrid) has delay....

As a boomie I am more familiar with lectro IFB (sorry never been a fan of comteks for booming) and the delay in the IFB is much less than the delay between my mind and hands. This is also why I like to boom with one ear off, I find it helps with cueing,  off camera dialogue and perspective, to hear the true surroundings at the same time as seeing it all. I boom as much with my eyes as my ears. Alas some days more with my eyes than ears. 

Haven't tried my ERX as boom IFB yet. May have the chance to hire them out to another mixer that I will be swinging for in the near future. Looking forward to hearing how they fare in that role.

• 2 weeks later...

"We use a Lectro HM plugon , and he monitors a boom-only feed via a Lectro R1A IFB."

-syncsound

I like the Lectro combo:->

I primarily mix commercials and have been using a wireless boom system for years with great success. I use a Lectro UH400a plugon transmitter plus a Lectro R1A IFB for boom monitoring. On commercial sets the rule-of-thumb is to never have open mics until rehearsals and camera rolls. This created a huge problem for the sound dept by restricting us from using the open boom mic for boom/mixer chatter. To get around the problem, I've accessed the "COMM" line input channel on my Cooper mixer via a dedicated Lectro r400a receiver. In addition to the UH400a plugon transmitter and the R1A IFB... my boom op wears an LM transmitter and lav mic for private communication back to my headsets. I also use the boom operator's open lav mic to eves drop in on the set to keep pace with production.

Hope this helps...

• 3 weeks later...

Sound Devices MM-1 has a split-ear function enabled via DIP switches.

Hey dude, there is no split-ear function for monitoring on the MM-1. You can mix the 'monitor' in to your primary boom feed, so whatever your sound mixer is sending you can be mixed into your mono boom channel, however there is no option on the MM-1 for split ear (L & R) separate feeds. Obviously you know your stuff, so perhaps you may have accidentally mixed the SD MM-1 up with another piece of gear. Just clearing up tech specs in case JFGrijalva is planning on purchasing the gear.

Hey dude, there is no split-ear function for monitoring on the MM-1. You can mix the 'monitor' in to your primary boom feed, so whatever your sound mixer is sending you can be mixed into your mono boom channel, however there is no option on the MM-1 for split ear (L & R) separate feeds. Obviously you know your stuff, so perhaps you may have accidentally mixed the SD MM-1 up with another piece of gear. Just clearing up tech specs in case JFGrijalva is planning on purchasing the gear.

According to the manual there is a "split ear function via dip switches"

According to the manual there is a "split ear function via dip switches"

Wild. I'll have to review the manual and see what it means. I use my MM-1 all the time and don't even see dip switches to give that option. Perhaps it's internal? Please do let me know. I'd never use the function personally, but I really like to know my gear inside and out. Learn something new every day I suppose!

Bottom Panel Switches

1 The bottom panel switches are accessible when the belt clip is removed. Use a 1/16-inch allen-head wrench.

1) DIP Switches The "Split Ear" setting allows the a signal to be sent to the left headphone earpiece and a monitor signal to be sent to the right earpiece. Also, S2-B can mute the mic audio to the headphones.

942 been working extremely well. I do hope there would be a 250mW neverclip version of it, and transmit both AES42 ch for super cmit on one frequency.

742 is fine too, just the batt for super cmit only last about 3hours on Li which is quite short, 5 hours for analog mic is fine.I hope there could be a new solution for powering the 742.

Bottom Panel Switches

1 The bottom panel switches are accessible when the belt clip is removed. Use a 1/16-inch allen-head wrench.

1) DIP Switches The "Split Ear" setting allows the a signal to be sent to the left headphone earpiece and a monitor signal to be sent to the right earpiece. Also, S2-B can mute the mic audio to the headphones.

I just found that as I was reviewing the manual. The one piece of gear I think I own that I've never read the manual for since it seemed so self-explanatory has hidden dip switches below a belt clip - go figure!  ???

On a side note, I have used all sorts of wireless systems that bypass the MM-1, for instance using a Lectro HM directly out to the mixer and monitoring via R1A or ERX, but I am never as happy as when I use the MM-1 as a boom operator, and if mine ever breaks I'll buy another one immediately.

" insight on the option to have direct feed from the boom in one ear, and the mix in the other ear? "

possible,  not popular

Why not? I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

I had gotten used to it back in the working-for-tuna-subs days where I had a 2-channel handheld recorder. I don't really use it anymore because the gear I've used doesn't give me the option. I just thought it could be useful to have the option.

MM-1 into Lectro LMa with a line level cable here. LMa set between 9 and 10 o'clock, just so that its limiter never catches on (don't like it compared to the MM-1 limiter which catches every peak). When it is set too low I in quiet scenes I can hear the "pong" sound every 3 seconds. I like the setup, but my boom ops who usually work without any cables anymore these days (I suppose usually they get Audio Ltd plug-ons or Sennheiser on their boom mics with other mixers) always need some time to adapt to the clunky system.

In terms of audio quality every wireless boom system means a compromise compared to hard wire, except maybe the Zaxcom system with NeverClip.

• 2 months later...

Also I'd like to know if focus pullers have had issue with the 2.4 Ghz transmission?

Another question is will the QRX 100 w the IFB option give the proper range needed to operate?

The reason I ask is I'm desperate to get something better sounding w range and am keenly interested in the Zaxcom boom 742 w the ERX. Comteks sound shitty but when I boomed I just pointed the mic and pretty much didn't care after a while if I lost comms. In the grand scheme of cutting I figured it was a small component to the bigger picture. I digress, I would love to try the ERX but I'm wondering if there is benefit to buying the IFB transmitter to get better range or is there something I should get to make the QRX get better range out to the ERXs. The last boom op I worked with was very much about good sound while working. Comteks weren't his obvious favourite.

Also the time delay is something I do concern myself with. Anyone here with working knowledge I would most appreciate their input in this thread. I read in another thread about people amplifying the IFB antenna. Is that a good thing to do and does it seem to be necessary since Zaxcom boasts on trews site that the range is 150 feet. I'd like more considering camera positions and my conceivable positions as a mixer.

Paul

Yes, amplifying the IFB100 is a must. I have simply bought a 14dBi gain antenna which I put on my antenna mast. So far it's working quite well. But what you're asking has been answered thouroughly in those threads you're referring to. I would say that the situation is the same with the QRX100 with IFB option.