Shallow Rackmount Drawer that weighs less than 18lbs.

AlanSound

Hi Everyone! I'm well into building my new PSC Euro Cart, but I'm having trouble finding lightweight drawers. I'm currently trying to fit two 2ru drawers into an SKB shallow 4ru case. Since the Euro Cart is so small and lightweight, getting a standard size rack case will cut too much into my legroom, so I'm stuck trying to find shallow depth components. I've already called a number of manufacturers to see if there exists a shallow depth drawer made of Aluminum or polymer, but no luck so far. The only shallow 2ru drawers I've found so far iare linked below and as you can see, they weigh 18lbs each. I'm trying to avoid having a 50lb rack case by the time it's done. Any ideas? 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650572-REG/Gator_Cases_GE_DRAWER_2US_GE_DRAWER_2US_2U_10_Deep.html

-AlanK

PS: Besides this hiccup, the rest of the cart is turning out great! 

Thanks for the lead, but I'm really hoping to avoid custom work. If I can't buy off the shelf then I'll just bite the bullet and get the heavy version.

they don't often stock the aluminum ones,  but I bought three drawers from them: a 1U, 2U and 3U. most niche  suppliers make items as they are ordered.  I wouldn't necessarily call it custom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm sorry that I never got around to posting a picture of my cart. I'm sure your decision was made long ago, but to anyone still considering, here have been my experiences with it:

I've used this cart for almost a year now and for the most part I'm happy with it. It is small, lighter than most carts, and does what I need it to do.

That said, I do have my qualms.

For starters, I found the handle bar that you are supposed to use to wheel it around to be useless if you add shelves as I did l. I fixed this by mounting handtruck style handles the that jut out of the back and also serve as a support when I have to lay the cart on its back for transport. 

Since this is my main mixing cart, I did cable runs and modifications that make collapsing the cart highly impractical. This doesn't bother me so much, but all of the handscrews that hold the thing together do come loose from time to time. Soon to all be replaced with bolts.

Next on the list though is to figure out a way to enclose the top for transport. Currently I just wrap it in a sound blanket.

post-1-0-53652700-1406735278_thumb.jpg

-AlanK

After all that, I forgot to mention the drawers! I ended up getting the steel shallow depth drawers since they were the only ones available short notice. They do weigh a ton (probably the heaviest part of whole cart) but if I release the wratchet strap, the whole SKB case slides off and can be carried separately.