DPA 4017C

Richard Thomas

I'm wondering if something as simple and affordable as a Rycote tac!t would take care of the problem,  without needing to use the B version.

The Rycote Tacit is one of the most inexpensive and affective accessories that you can buy http://www.rycote.com/products/cable-w_tact-filter-xlr-3f_3m-l45cm-x-48mm/. It has a very steep 18dB roll off with a knee at 65 Hz- far steeper than a filter on any mixer I know - and is very similar to a Schoeps Cut-1 or the steep cut on a CMIT. I have C preamps on 2 x 4018 and 2 x 4017. The C and the Tacit are perfect partners for boom use. I say go for it.

Tim

Hint for Cinela.. Make your own 18dB/oct filter and fit it into the XLR mount of your Pianissimo.

Good idea !

Anyway...few things:

- The filter has to deal with the 48V and needs to take enough power (current & voltage) to work correctly. Many microphones accept it but many microphones do not ! Difficult to make a "one fits all".

- Few widely used microphones already integrate such a filter (CMIT, 4017B...) and this may be true for newer models...

- Same for mixers (Aeta Mixy, some SD models, arriving Cantar X3...)

Not so easy, but thank you for the hint !

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread! 

Just wanted to run this by other 4017 users... I just picked up a 4017C and it sounds really nice, but I've noticed it has significantly lower output than the Sanken CS3e I normally run. Is this normal? Obviously not a huge deal, but for some quiet lines I end up stretching the preamp gain a little more than I'm used to with the Sanken. 

Thx!

-Mike

• 7 months later...

Hi

I just bought DPA 4017C. Mic is sounding great but i have handling problem.When moving on axis up and down mic is overloading.this is not happening when i move mic left right or up and down jus when i'm m oving front or back (on axis).

Does somebody know should i return mic back or buy MMP-B preamp.

4 hours ago, Ivica said:

Hi

I just bought DPA 4017C. Mic is sounding great but i have handling problem.When moving on axis up and down mic is overloading.this is not happening when i move mic left right or up and down jus when i'm m oving front or back (on axis).

Does somebody know should i return mic back or buy MMP-B preamp.

What are you using for wind protection? Even if you're indoors you should be using at least the foam that comes with the mic. 

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine just bought this mic and loves the sound , but found that the foam that came with it is just not great at attenuation wind when moving the mic indoors from side to side.  Besides the tact cable, is there a special indoor foam that people are using with success.?

6 hours ago, Brian said:

Friend of mine just bought this mic and loves the sound , but found that the foam that came with it is just not great at attenuation wind when moving the mic indoors from side to side.  Besides the tact cable, is there a special indoor foam that people are using with success.?

I agree! The foam isn't good when moving. I would like to know about better solutions as well..

IMMO I think we should ask DPA to do a C preamp with fixed high pass filter, if we write many, probably they consider it

I agree, but that's only for boom noises and low freq hums. It's not going to help much with swooshes from fast booming
I agree! The foam isn't good when moving. I would like to know about better solutions as well..

I agree as well. It's the same with the Schoeps foam, it's crap, too. Rycote has foams in offer, and then there are softie type solutions, like the softie or Bublebee's windkiller, etc.

Although, I just thought, the foam that comes with the 8060 looks better, but I haven't actually tried it yet. It's also a similar diameter, but of course it's too long for the 4017c

9 hours ago, mikewest said:

I have boomed naked - well wearing a Nagra and headphones!

BTW I have used my Sanken mikes in tropical /humid countries for years

including my stereo CSS-5 for 15 years!! no problems.

mike

Priceless Mike! What a way to make a point!

Although some might suggest that the Nagra 4.2 and DT48s combo equals "well dressed" ...

J

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

Although, I just thought, the foam that comes with the 8060 looks better, but I haven't actually tried it yet. It's also a similar diameter, but of course it's too long for the 4017c

Would that not just be a long version of the 'open' foams that come with the 8050 et al? If so, I would guess it wouldn't be much better for swings.

Would that not just be a long version of the 'open' foams that come with the 8050 et al? If so, I would guess it wouldn't be much better for swings.

Possible, I don't know. I only have the 8060 one and I never use it or the mic.

To be honest I haven't spent much time evaluating different foams, as they have never really been an issue for me. Whenever a boom op needs to do a fast move which creates noise, they will put it between words so nothing willne lost. It's easy to replace that noise later. I've never had an issue with that on words.

Re foams - Not sure how this might relate to the new invision or any other mount for the DPA 4017C, but I wonder if anyone has tried the old Lightwave mini Zeppelin as an indoor screen? I was never a fan of the design of this nor the (awful) fur that fit over it but I have a couple that I've used for on-camera mics - it's basically 5cm diameter of air with a plastic mesh with nylon, and they did a few lengths one or two of which I expect would suit the DPA and the mini Schoeps.

I'd expect a suitable length bubblebee or (if in the works) rycote sausage-ball to do a better job though.

Jez

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I'm reviving this thread since i couldn't find the infos i was looking for on here (please feel free to direct me to the right thread if i missed something). 

I just bought a C preamp for my 4017 and 4018 that i use with my Lectro HM transmitter. Yesterday on the first day i really tested it on the field i noticed some crackling noise (like a dusty vinyl) when using my 4017C. When i went home i tested every combination i have. I switched the capsules, the Preamp from the C to the B, Cable or HM and swapped the cable from the mic to the HM. I found out this crackling happens only with the combo 4017C and HM and with every cable i used between the mic and the HM. I attached some test i recorded. I pushed the gain in audacity so you guys can hear what i'm talking about. The three files are at the same gain on the recorder and the same gain on the HM.

Does anyone encounter the same problem and found a fix? Is my preamp faulty?

Thanks for your help.

Ben

MMP-B_HM.wav

MMP-C_Cable.wav

MMP-C_HM.wav