DPA 4017C

Richard Thomas

2 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Ben, The problem only  occurs wireless? Is that correct?

Yes, Like you can hear on the 3 files i attached on my first post, the problem occurs only when using the C preamp and the HM, C Preamp and cable doesn't have that noise, or B Preamp and HM no noise as well.

I had pretty much exactly the same issue with my C Preamp. I had to send it to DPA for them to check. They returned it and said they checked it and everything was fine. Still had the same issue. Sent it to DPA again, this time accompanied by the recording of the noise and this time they sent me a new C Preamp. 

To be honest (even though I absolutely love the 4017) this is still noisier than the B preamp, but it's only hiss, and not this weird crackling sound. Still, I will now only use the C preamp when I really have to for more space. It's a shame though, because on paper it's the better preamp.

I tried this with 5 different transmitters, including a HM and a HMa. It would only occur with both the Lectro tx, even though they were years apart. Very strange occurence. 

On 3/12/2015 at 2:44 PM, ramallo said:

My 4017C unit have a extended low freq response, more extended than usual in other microphones, but normal in my oppinion. Without a high pass filter, have some low freq rumble when I manipulate the boom or by moving fast the boom. I'm using the Rycote/DPA kit.

Probably a new C preamp with high pass filter engaged will be a nice addition for the DPA catalog

34e4xzk.jpg

My unit

156v1ix.jpg

Wow thats a nice measurement !!, made by DPA ? or where ?  since this would be hard to get in any circumstance. looks really smooth !

10 minutes ago, ramallo said:

DPA made, is the calibration sheet of this microphone

cool i wonder what there setup is,  since yeah the rise in top end is kind of what you expect from such (relative)big mic, it would be really nice to know how they measure this. its soo smooth :)

15 hours ago, Constantin said:

I had pretty much exactly the same issue with my C Preamp. I had to send it to DPA for them to check. They returned it and said they checked it and everything was fine. Still had the same issue. Sent it to DPA again, this time accompanied by the recording of the noise and this time they sent me a new C Preamp. 

To be honest (even though I absolutely love the 4017) this is still noisier than the B preamp, but it's only hiss, and not this weird crackling sound. Still, I will now only use the C preamp when I really have to for more space. It's a shame though, because on paper it's the better preamp.

I tried this with 5 different transmitters, including a HM and a HMa. It would only occur with both the Lectro tx, even though they were years apart. Very strange occurence. 

Ok, thanks for your reply. I will go to where i bought in a week after i come back from a shoot. I'll bring the recordings did with me then and we will see. I keep my fingers crossed because it is a very nice setup for interior!

Ben, My 4018C had same issue and now it is fixed.
It's caused by irregular Phantom power voltage of HM transmitter. It supplies 42V, not 48V.
And, MMP-C can not work with 42V.
I sent my MMP-C to DPA and they modified it to be able to work with HM transmitter.
Now my 4018C works perfectly with HM and HMa.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:05 PM, Naga said:

It's caused by irregular Phantom power voltage of HM transmitter. It supplies 42V, not 48V.
I sent my MMP-C to DPA and they modified it to be able to work with HM transmitter.

Thanks a lot! i'll contact my DPA distributor and see what they can do.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:05 PM, Naga said:

Ben, My 4018C had same issue and now it is fixed

That seems to make so much sense! That noise it made certainly sounds like it could be due to phantom power. So, when you say „fixed“ is the C preamp still noisier than the B version, but has lost that strange noise? That’s how mine is now... But I wish that more regular noise were gone, too

6 hours ago, Ben B said:

Naga, now that your preamp has been modified to work with 42V, what happens if you plug it with a cable supplying 48V? 

It can work good with 48V too. Don't worry!

6 hours ago, Constantin said:

So, when you say „fixed“ is the C preamp still noisier than the B version, but has lost that strange noise? That’s how mine is now... But I wish that more regular noise were gone, too

Sorry I can not compare to B-preamp because I don't have it, but when I compare the 4018C to my Mini CMIT, they have almost the same noise level.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:05 AM, Naga said:

Naga, thanks for sharing this glimmer of hope. Unfortunate to see so many mixers having this issue with the MMP-C! I have been working around my MMP-C preamp's 20db~ of steady low end noise in my signal when paired with a Lectro HMa. The phantom power voltage issue seems the most likely source - though it is interesting to hear yours and Ben's noise was a higher pitch 'dusty vinyl' noise in the signal.. wonder why the difference?

This other thread was recommended to me by Gavin Marsh, in which wiring in an 'RF choke' on the header cable between Lectro boom transmitter and the mic has shown some promise to reduce the noise. May be useful, if you haven't explored this yet. I intended to try this before exchanging my C pre-amp with my DPA dealer (for the 2nd time)... Will post an update here if/when I get around to trying it.

• 3 weeks later...

So to follow up on my problem with my C preamp and the Lectro HM, i ended up taking contact with the distributor in my country. He contacted the DPA headquarters and they replied "Lectrosonic P48 has a different set up , but we have a fix on the MMP-C to get it work.

So I need it here – the C preamp we produce today has this mod built in already".

The distributor made me try a brand new preamp he had (i'm guessing with the mod) and, magic, the problem was gone! I went back home with a new working preamp and a smile on my face!

Hope it will help anyone with the same problem.

• 9 months later...

After reading through several forum posts here, my understanding is that some versions of the DPA MMP-C preamp don't work with Lectrosonics plug on transmitters, but that DPA has since modified the MMP-C to work with them. Does anyone here know what serial number that modification started at, or is willing to share the serial number of an MMP-C with the mod? Thinking about buying one, but want to make sure it's compatible with my wireless setup. I asked DPA's support about it but haven't heard back from them for a little while. 

Mine is HBD28 and I have a second one, but not with me, so I can’t check the serial. 
Both perform rather poorly with the Lectro transmitters. 
I am currently very disappointed by the PR by DPA. The support did reply pretty quickly, but didn’t even bother to answer my second question. When I replied to their initial response, they didn’t respond anymore. 
The preamp seems to perform well enough when the tx is set to 15V, that’s a work around for now. However, I can’t determine if the specs are reduced when running at 15V. 

Just to clarify: when this thread started the noise was much worse. DPA did fix that, and I‘m fairly certain that a new preamp won’t have that issue now. If it did they will fix it. The issue I‘m having (as described in my other thread about this) may have to do with a balancing/unbalancing mismatch, I haven’t tried that yet. The DPA tech said they could fix that as well.