Michigan tax incentives

FSBELLA

hey guys,

any one here from Michigan?

just read and heard that Michigan has a 40% tax break for filming there. and a few more % points for hiring in state crews etc. that is pretty aggressive. for every dollar you spend, the sate gives you back .40c.

however, I did not see a cap on the budget, for instance if there was a limit of say $100 mil or if the incentive was capped at a certain amount??

later

for every dollar you spend, the sate gives you back .40c.

That sounds more like a Rebate, similar to Puerto Rico.  I know they did just pass something very aggressive.  Tax breaks behave a little differently, but the end result is much the same.  I too would like to hear the details.

~pwp

That sounds more like a Rebate, similar to Puerto Rico.  I know they did just pass something very aggressive.  Tax breaks behave a little differently, but the end result is much the same.  I too would like to hear the details.

~pwp

pwp,

I don't know how to cut n paste. but google, Michigan film comission, go to tax incentives.

later

I am unable to find the original article regarding the Michigan incentives but it is much worse than you can imagine. Here is a small snippet (part of a reply that I sent) which talks about the training program being run by a group of producers for the unemployed Michigan workforce, a program designed to train those previously not in the movie industry to be able to perform the work of camera people, sound people, grips and so forth. Once trained, the plan goes, the producer will be able to hire locally (one of the many provisions to get the rebate/incentives) people who have never even worked in the industry.

"On April 7, The same day that Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed into law Michigan’s incentives, a rebate up to 42%, the first series of two week retraining classes began at TicTock facilities for 15 unemployed state residents.

Stott teaches the first module, basic film set training. The second module on the role of the grip is taught by L.A. production manager Jim Behnke, who also boasts an impressive IMDB profile."

This "impressive IMDB profile" for the UPM teaching the grip class does not indicate any credits as a Key Grip.

-  Jeff Wexler

while I don't mean to hijack this thread away from the topic of all the various incentives being offered, -and there were plenty being pitched at the Locations Expo in Santa Monica the weekend before NAB-, the training element of some programs brings me to a problem I feel strongly about: the fact that most "film schools" do not properly prepare their students to work on professional movie sets.

They spend a lot of time watching and discussing films, discussing shots, discussing storyies, discussing directing actors, but when it comes to making movies, the students get pretty much left to re-invent the actual production process, and the experience they gain working on each others movies (where they all would rather be directing) is usually bad experience of wrong ways to run a movie production.

maybe some "movie employment" oriented courses are a welcome addition...??

a while back (before Katrina) I was talking with folks from Louisianna, and particularly the New Orleans area about movie employment preparation training as part of a comprehensive plan to increase movie production in the state and parish. They weren't so much interested in creating "Keys" as they were in making it possible for a lot of their locals to be knowledgable and experienced enough to be positive additions to visiting crews.

ok, rant mode = off!

I am unable to find the original article regarding the Michigan incentives but it is much worse than you can imagine. Here is a small snippet (part of a reply that I sent) which talks about the training program being run by a group of producers for the unemployed Michigan workforce, a program designed to train those previously not in the movie industry to be able to perform the work of camera people, sound people, grips and so forth. Once trained, the plan goes, the producer will be able to hire locally (one of the many provisions to get the rebate/incentives) people who have never even worked in the industry.

"On April 7, The same day that Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed into law Michigan’s incentives, a rebate up to 42%, the first series of two week retraining classes began at TicTock facilities for 15 unemployed state residents.

Stott teaches the first module, basic film set training. The second module on the role of the grip is taught by L.A. production manager Jim Behnke, who also boasts an impressive IMDB profile."

This "impressive IMDB profile" for the UPM teaching the grip class does not indicate any credits as a Key Grip.

-  Jeff Wexler

Sounds like Michigan's version of that 'school' in LA that trains people to be 'reality audio mixers' in two days..