Sanken CS1 with Sound Devices 664 and other mixers/recorders

Ben  Turney

Has anyone used a Sanken CS1 with a Sound Devices 664 and found any problems?

I have found that my Sanken CS1 does not work with with some mixers. It is fine with my Sound Devices 442. But when I have plugged it in to a MixPre or a 552, I have barely been able to hear sounds in the room through the mic, while on the other hand hissing is very loud, far above normal electronic hissing levels. Same problem when plugging it into an early version Nomad, but I'm not sure what version. 

When having this problem. I have made sure I have phantom power on at 48v. Also, I am not talking about the "heart-thumping" problem that occurs with this mic if the low-cut knob is turned completely off -- that's a different problem (though perhaps it's related). Switching the CS1 for a Sennheiser 416 and making no other adjustment, the problem has gone away and the 416 sounds fine. 

I'm on the verge of purchasing a 664 and want to check in to this. Thanks.

-Ben

I'm willing to believe it's a mic problem. I can't find any other reports of this issue. 

Yes, the cable is fine, and yes, when switching the CS1 to a 416, not changing anything else on the MixPre or 552, the 416 sounded fine. 

Even if it is a problem with the CS1, it's still funny that the problem does not show up with the SD442 mixer.

-Ben 

Back when I started out, like not so long ago... 2007. I was an intern on a shoot and we had similar issues with a mix pre and a schoeps cmc5/41 (or cmc6 memory fails me). What our guess was back then was that the SD unit did deliver 48v but not just enough to power the mic fully. There was never any issue with the mic being plugged straight into the cantar. Now in your case, it might be that the 442 has just a tad stronger 48v than your other products, due to some sort of voodoo. I'm not an expert. Could be a combination between mic failure and 442 failure. Did you try all of the inputs on the 442?

Are you powering the mic with the mixer internal phantom power? There is a well documented issue with high rejection mics and the phantom power of some Sd mixers. The solution is using an external phantom source. 

When I had this problem, a while back, the issue was a crazy motorboarding, but I was able to hear some sound, maybe this is not the problem you are having.

Are you powering the mic with the mixer internal phantom power? There is a well documented issue with high rejection mics and the phantom power of some Sd mixers. The solution is using an external phantom source. 

When I had this problem, a while back, the issue was a crazy motorboarding, but I was able to hear some sound, maybe this is not the problem you are having.

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mixers/oscillation-xfmr-inputs/

Are you referring to this? That won't be an issue with the 664.