Batt level monitoring with TXBAT on SRb Receiver. Rechargeable AA.

Dean Gudmundson

Hello all,

Yesterday did first 12 hour cart job with new SD 664 and new Lectro SRb RX. I'm using Eneloop XX 2500 mHa rechargeables topped up from Titanium Smart Fast 16 Bay Charger night before. First time using AA rechargeables.

Wondering: Reasonable TX run time (ball park) at 100 or 250 power settings. Does changing power setting upset the timer during the day? We reset power to 250 from 100 when set kept running away from my cart on the exteriors. Maybe this messed with timer read out? Have you found that 250 power benefit is worth extra battery drain? Set it and forget it? Best to leave it at 250 all the time? I know "IT DEPENDS" on - fill in the blank. I'm just wondering what others are doing. I was pleasantly surprised with signal power using just the whip antennas on RX in my bag.

Digital read out from RX on both TX read around 3:34 when they powered down. I didn't notice low battery warning, most likely it did flash I probably missed it. Does warning come on with plenty of time to replace batts? Appreciate hearing any comments/tips. Am I missing anything obvious?

My settings:

-Smart Diversity.

-COMPAT mode set to HYBRID.

-Batt type set to AAT as recommended in manual.

-TIM - Timer monitor.

Best,

Dean Gudmundson

3.5 hours is about what I get from the Imedion rechargeable AA's in an SMa at 100mW. I just accept that this is what they run and plan accordingly. I try to charge them in "soft" mode, and they seem to run a little longer that way (probably closer to 3:40). I don't think 250mW is worth the slight improvement in transmission all the time; you'd be surprised how far even 50mW can go.

I do use 250mW for camera hops and for boom IFB, but I power the transmitters in that case from the bag's NP-1 or from the cart.

Hi Dean and Marc,

Make sure the battery contact on the door surface is clean using a soft cloth, nothing abrasive. The threads on the thumbscrew should be cleaned with a soft cloth and then a speck of the silver grease added per instructions. The silver grease and the painfully detailed instructions are still available from your neighborhood Lectro factory. You all undoubtedly know this already, but it gives me a chance to preach to the heathens.

Dean, as far as the battery warning circuit, it indicates the battery is failing for no more than a minute or so and sometimes less. It is easy to miss, hence the timer.

Cheers,

Larry F

Lectr

Hi Larry,

First off you rock sharing your wealth of knowledge so generously. I for one have never entertained the idea of using any other wireless product then Lectrosonics...20+ years and still a happy customer in no small part for the personal customer service you provide.

Off topic a bit: SNA-600. I have a few of these and would like to keep using them with new SRb now (Block 21) passively for now. Can you tell me (or link me) what part I need to adapt SMA antennae connector to BNC for SNA-600s? Have looked around at your website with no luck. Also where I can order the tiny screws that hold the sliders in. Lost a few over the years. Surgical tape holding them together now. Something I can get at Home Depot?

All the best,

Dean Gudmundson

Sent from my iPad -

Dean Gudmundson

shadowsnd@aol.com

• 1 year later...

Larry:

Why is there not a metered battery setting on the SRb specifically for AA rechargeables? I've searched for an answer to this but with no results. Sorry if you've answered this before.

The manual recommends the AAT setting. I know at least one pro user that uses the 9v setting instead because it works well as a substitute for the timer. If you like a meter instead of a timer, which setting is going to be most accurate?

cheers

adam

If I may-

I believe they can't because the power curve of NiMH AA's is not predictable over all of the brands.

I suggested, a while back, that they replace the "battery fuel gauge" with the voltage readout (selectable for either 9v or AA, similar to the Timer display) so at least we could see at a glance, without any button pushes, what the battery level was.

Larry:

Why is there not a metered battery setting on the SRb specifically for AA rechargeables? I've searched for an answer to this but with no results. Sorry if you've answered this before.

The manual recommends the AAT setting. I know at least one pro user that uses the 9v setting instead because it works well as a substitute for the timer. If you like a meter instead of a timer, which setting is going to be most accurate?

cheers

adam

I suggested, a while back, that they replace the "battery fuel gauge" with the voltage readout (selectable for either 9v or AA, similar to the Timer display) so at least we could see at a glance, without any button pushes, what the battery level was.

Brilliant suggestion! That could be really beneficial

-Ken

There's some interesting discussions about it if you can find the thread. It's possible the subject was something else that stumbled into this topic, but Larry posted some of their experiences. The conclusion was the best method is the timer. 

IIRC the different NiMH capacities make it so they don't interface with the meters. A rechargeable AA may be 1700mAh, or 2700mAh. It's not like the high capacity ones start at a higher voltage and then match a voltage drop slope of the lower powered ones. Things are evolving so fast in this that there is not the consistency that there is with alkaline or lithium batteries. 

You can use the alkaline setting, but you have to learn how to read it for your batteries. Odds are it will blink for a good long while on your RX before it actually cuts out. That can be a little nerve wracking if you are working on a show where there are very distinct good times to change batteries, and times that it is impossible.