NP style batteries

Tony Johnson

Hi All forgive me if this topic has been covered already but what is the feeling about the longevity of NP style batteries. Mine need replacing for my fusion but I get the impression Down Under that they are a thing of the past now. That would be a pity as I have a couple of NP boots for powering wireless and IFB and I use them in my Fusion.

Just want to check before investing in this technology again.

Cheers

Tony Johnson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The technology (as far as the chemistry) is largely unchanged, but some are mixing up the form factor for a better shape (bag work) or a higher capacity than an NP-1 can deliver. As an example, I use a Sony BPU-style battery in my small bag - it has more capacity than an NP-1 and is proportionately lighter, and a V-Mount battery in a bigger bag for even more capacity.

Hi Tony,

I am still using NP1 Lithiums in my bag.

I have often seen a local Auckland company "Global media pro" recommended on this site by world wide sound brethren. Prices are pretty keen too.

Last year I had 2 oNP1's re-celled by a company in East Tamaki called Simpower. They actually increased the capacity from original, and they are holding up well.

Google should find them for you.

Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil, Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it I have IDX batts and chargers and they are not?? Compatible with other NP chargers so I need to stick with IDX. Also have IDX V locks but because I have the NP slot in my Fusion I was hoping they would still be making them for a while yet.

Tony

I would still have a chat to the Simpower guys.

I have a chinese manufactured Lithium battery, which uses it's own li-ion charger.(Phylion brand)

I don't know how compatible these are / would be with other chargers.

When Simpower did the re-cell for me, they retained whatever electronics were in the case, just replaced the old cells with new.

I was rather wary when I first recharged in case something went wrong. However a year or more later, and all is well.

I have been using verizoom Np1 batteries as an alternative to the IDX for about a year and a half now and they have proven themselves for what its worth.  As for the longevity of np1 batteries going into the future...  I am actually in the process of selling my NP1 kit to switch over to Anton Bauer dionic 90 batteries.  But I am kind of an oddball in that I am also a camera owner operator who takes sound work for other owner operators.  And I don't want to be maintaining two different battery systems.

As shown in this video (originally posted by member pverrando in the DIY forum):

IDX NP-1 batteries can be re-celled. However, if you are not comfortable with electronics and soldering, I would obviously take this job to professional who can do it. But as Phil D mentioned, it is possible, and as such, a potentially cheap way to get your IDX NP-1's.

Good luck!

" among some of the best purchases I've made. "

TJ, my thoughts...

if the technology is still meeting your needs, and considering the stability and market penetration of the manufacturer, and additional investment should continue to serve you well for the typical life of the product.

and yes, I'm still an NP fan...

Hey everyone,

Just chiming in with some info.

The majority of sound mixers I’ve helped out are heavily invested in the NP style; it's is a standardized format and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Re-celling batteries is a common practice to save a few bucks. However, it's potentially hazardous and we do not recommend it. Re-celling involves reusing the protection circuitry; using used protection circuitry can compromise the safety of the battery and cause problems to the equipment its powering. 

In addition, the cells used to re-cell batteries are often not balanced and come from different production lots. This reduces the over-all life span of the battery. The battery may work well for a few years but shortly after, it will suddenly lose its capacity.

The cells used in the IDX NP-L7S batteries are balanced and come from the same production lot. This results in superior performance and longevity.

I hope this info is helpful.

If you have any questions, let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

Thanks!

Zack

Zack

Zack, will idx be offering half size np1's in the near future? Is it even possible for idx to offer those? Many thanks for your response.

kind of related.

I experimented with np-35 " hawkwoods half size np1". I was extremely happy with the size and the power they held. The problem is that idx charger will charge them only if the hold a little charge. When drained empty the idx charger does not even detect it...

would love idx manufactured half size np1

Zack, will idx be offering half size np1's in the near future? Is it even possible for idx to offer those? Many thanks for your response.

We do not have plans to develop a half size NP battery; however, it is technically possible. Is that something you guys would like to see from IDX?

the smaller form factor of a half size np1 would be very convenient for some bag configurations.

i did look very hard at the hawk woods stubby np1's but eventually decided against it because i would need to get a new charger as well.

like Jack, i would get a few half size np1s

kind of related.

I experimented with np-35 " hawkwoods half size np1". I was extremely happy with the size and the power they held. The problem is that idx charger will charge them only if the hold a little charge. When drained empty the idx charger does not even detect it...

would love idx manufactured half size np1

Hey Rado,

Thanks for the feedback. What's the model of the charger are you using? 

If it is the JL-2Plus, it will charge a useable IDX battery that is as low as 10.5V.

If your NP35 isn’t charging, it could be below the 10.5V threshold level or that it is not properly establishing communication with the charger.

In regards to draining your batteries, we don’t recommend draining batteries until they die. This over-discharges the cells and causes cell damage. Constantly draining the batteries below 12V will accelerate cell deterioration and lead to premature failure.   To prolong the life of your batteries, we recommend stopping discharge at 12V.

With a lot of audio gear accepting voltages below 12V, we have to be extra careful and monitor the battery’s voltage to avoid over-discharging.

Pulling the battery off the gear once it reaches 1 LED is a good way of keeping your batteries healthy. You may be cutting the runtime but you are preventing over-discharging, which will result in long lasting batteries.

Hey Zack when buying the NP LS7 do I need to know how long the supplier has had them on the shelf? When does the lithium start deteriorating, once manufactured or after first use?

I appreciate your feedback re NP batts.

Regards

Tony

Ps I too would like a half size batt. I think since machines like Nomad and Maxx have come to the market with no battery slot a smaller NP would be great.

Hey Rado,

If it is the JL-2Plus, it will charge a useable IDX battery that is as low as 10.5V.

If your NP35 isn’t charging, it could be below the 10.5V threshold level or that it is not properly establishing communication with the charger.

In regards to draining your batteries, we don’t recommend draining batteries until they die. This over-discharges the cells and causes cell damage. Constantly draining the batteries below 12V will accelerate cell deterioration and lead to premature failure. To prolong the life of your batteries, we recommend stopping discharge at 12V.

With a lot of audio gear accepting voltages below 12V, we have to be extra careful and monitor the battery’s voltage to avoid over-discharging.

Pulling the battery off the gear once it reaches 1 LED is a good way of keeping your batteries healthy. You may be cutting the runtime but you are preventing over-discharging, which will result in long lasting batteries.

I never drain my batteries in purpose. With the np-35 I took out at 11.9v and did not put it on the charger right away because I was in the field. After 6 hours it did not want to charge. The second one I did drain in purpose to confirm that the first one did not just die.

I am probably buying the hawkwoods charger because my Maxx bag needs small profile battery and the np-35 is perfect size.

P:S. I am using jl2plus

Hey Rado,

In regards to draining your batteries, we don’t recommend draining batteries until they die. This over-discharges the cells and causes cell damage. Constantly draining the batteries below 12V will accelerate cell deterioration and lead to premature failure. To prolong the life of your batteries, we recommend stopping discharge at 12V.

I have always suspected this, and so changed my batteries at a conservative point. Glad to have that theory confirmed, and now i have a voltage to go with it instead of just "low but not dead".

Thanks