NP style batteries

Tony Johnson

We do not have plans to develop a half size NP battery; however, it is technically possible. Is that something you guys would like to see from IDX?

I would purchase half size NP1's immediately upon release. Thanks for asking. Please keep us in the loop regarding the possibility of this. I as many others am happy with my chargers and batteries and would rather stick with a name I trust.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for IDX! I stopped in at CineGear this year and talked to the IDX people --- my question was whether they had thought about doing something with LiFEPO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery cells that could really reduce the weight factor (though not so significantly over the existing Lithium stuff they use now). I think the answer was no, they are not working on it but didn't rule out the possibility. Form factor (size) was not discussed but for me the standard NP-1 size is fine.

Hey Zack when buying the NP LS7 do I need to know how long the supplier has had them on the shelf? When does the lithium start deteriorating, once manufactured or after first use?

I appreciate your feedback re NP batts.

Regards

Tony

Ps I too would like a half size batt. I think since machines like Nomad and Maxx have come to the market with no battery slot a smaller NP would be great

Hey Tony,

Good question. We encourage our dealers to maintain/charge their stock. If the dealer forgets to maintain their stock, an untouched NP-L7S will hold a charge for several years. Most of our NP dealers will sell their stock within a few months. You shouldn’t have to worry about purchasing dead/damaged batteries from an authorized dealer.  If you happen to get a defective unit, we will honor the 2 year warranty and replace it for you.  

Thanks,

Halfsize NP1,,,,good!!!

LiPo NP1.........great!!!!

cleve

Would buy either, both'' immediately upon release...

With 6 L7S and three JL2Plus chargers, not changing my system anytime soon....unless to LiPo and the JL2Plus would not charge it...then maybe....

Just curious as to why you'd want a LiPo NP1? LiPo typically has a lower power density than Li-Ion.

Batteries is not where you reduce the weight. Wireless, recorder, bag...another way is caring extra batteries, transmitters in a separate bag that you can give to the PA or just drop down on location. I only cary extra AA and top stick in my sound bag. Everything else I hold in a over the shoulder bag that I never cary when I roll sound.

Just curious as to why you'd want a LiPo NP1? LiPo typically has a lower power density than Li-Ion.

One advantage is that a LiFePo battery can take 1500 - 2000 charge cycles before its capacity reduces to 80% of its rated value whereas other LiIon batteries will typically take 300 charge cycles before their capacity reduces to 80% - making LiFePo a longer term investment. 

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

+1 more for half-size NP1

'Half size NP-1' ?

Weigth and power consideration in mind, two half size batteries on an audio

recorder should be the norm. Not only (à la Cantar-X) this brings the peace of mind

a twin battery supply offers, but at about the same weight* it solves

the 98Wh power limitation set by the IATA.

Explanation: in a couple of years, the current 49Wh half size batteries will

deliver up to 70Wh each, i.e. 140Wh on a two battery recorder,

whereas a single battery of the same volume will still be restricted to 98Wh.

full size:

http://inspiredenergy.com/Standard_Products/NH2054/NH2054.htm

NH2054 HD34     14.4V, 6.8Ah, 98Wh

Weight: 434g / 15.3oz

Length: 153mm / 6.0"

half size

http://inspiredenergy.com/Standard_Products/ND2054/ND2054.htm

ND2054 HD34     14.4V, 3.4Ah , 49Wh

Weight: 234g / 8.3oz   

Length:  87mm / 3.4"

"Inspired" batteries should become the NP-1 successors : same form factor, stronger housing,

self cleaning protected connectors, light, charge monitoring conform to the SMBus specs.

Furthermore the 'openess' of the manufacturer is unique. Click on the "Engineering Data Sheet",

you will be amazed !

Where can you find such thorough explanations and diagrams

in any battery manufacturer leaflet?

One flaw (easy to correct) : the two part charger is not built for on location survival.

jpb

* 2 x ND2054 = 468g/16.6oz  versus  1 x NH2054 = 434g/15.3oz

I mean, this is going to be a wildcard / not for everyone since I wouldn't exactly call it a "pro" level battery in that it's just a straight up standard DC connector but I've had great luck with the Bixnet BP-160 with my Tascam HS-P82.  It's 153 watt hours and it uses Panasonic Lithium Cells.  Max output is 4.75amps, is switchable between 12v and 19v, but only runs you $199.  I've been using two of them and they easily get me through a 12 hour shoot.

They even sell a separate DC to Magsafe connector that allows you to run your MacBook off of it for extended battery life which has come in handy a few times as well on trips...

JL-2Plus will charge a Global media NP-1... (beware it will go into somekind of snoringmode when fully charged)

thumb-1d4.jpg
In Stock
EUR 74.00
 Add To Cart

When it doesn't work anymore,get a new one....Or get an IDX for about 3 times(OK +about $ 82..) the global media price.

186.gif
389035.jpg

pImageZoom.jpg
What item is right for you?
Ask our Experts! 800.606.6969 Live Chat

IDX NP-L7S NP-Style Lithium-Ion Battery
B&H # IDNPL7S  Mfr # NP-L7S

Price:$217.00

BTW: Really happy to have someone from IDX here.

+1

Zack, while we are at it, there is another piece of kit that many of us are possibly waiting in vain for. A compact 4 bay lithium np-1 charger I believe would be a good seller. On a daily basis, I need to put 4 batts on charge at the end of thr day. Is there 4 bay charger presently on the drawing board?

+1

Zack, while we are at it, there is another piece of kit that many of us are possibly waiting in vain for. A compact 4 bay lithium np-1 charger I believe would be a good seller. On a daily basis, I need to put 4 batts on charge at the end of thr day. Is there 4 bay charger presently on the drawing board?

Would that even make sense considering that the current charger charges the batteries sequentially and not at the same time?

It means you could put your 4 batts on charge and walk away not having to cycle your batteries through once charged.

True, but you could get two independent chargers and charge a pair twice as fast than with this 4 battery charger that only charges one at a time. Now, if they could all charge simultaneously, then we are talking about a whole different ball game. Just my opinion anyway.