664 ext tc auto record

osa

anyone use the ext tc auto rec function on your 664? i used to use this function a lot on 552's and it seemed to fuction as it should. on my 664 it appears to be creating multiple files for ea camera start and stop action when chasing camera's tc. i searched here but didnt find any related topics. its a head scratcher at the moment. certainly not a deal breaker. i can still chase ext tc and record and stop manually for now...

kp

thanks marc will try it today. i wasnt thinking of the hold off function being required in this case because in the past with a 552 it worked great and the tc section wasnt nearly as robust as it is now w the 664. but it is certainly worth a shot. will report back

kp

Page 27 of the manual talks about the "Hold Off" mode, where you designate X number of seconds before the 664 goes into record. My guess is that the camera is putting out a little bit of garbage TC while it's going into record, and so it creates a few (very small) extraneous files. 

When properly configured, the hold-off function is your friend, although with the F3 and solid state media VariCams there's no reason to use record run timecode except with external video recorders that can't see the camera's stop/starts via SDI. And thus no reason for slaving to a camera's timecode. 

Many producers and production companies haven't revised their technical production guidelines to keep pace with modern technology and modern nonlinear editing practices. Hence the 2 or three jobs I get each year that specify a DAT backup recording.

Best regards,

Jim

• 4 months later...