sound to enchance a scene or movie

FSBELLA

hey guys,

just saw Cloverfield last night (I know a little late) but I must say Ed White and the post pro's at skywalker did a great job.

the audio or sound fx used, properly enhanced each scene throughout the entire film. from the screeching monster, the little monsters to the jets/gun battles and most importantly the sounds NOT scene, little creaks, thuds and the bumps. especially the breathing and the footsteps. every little noise kept me wanting and "listening" for more. I remember a lot was said about the hand held camera work and the pov story line, (think Blair witch) and people were sick at the movie theatres. but I thought it was fine, maybe because I was concentrating on the audio?

kind of reminds me of Coppola, and how he used or uses audio to enhance a scene, the conversation & the godfather. when he uses the train tracks rumbling by over dialogue etc.

33 views, no replies. 

no thoughts or comments from all you sound & movie lovers.

any movies or filmmakers come to mind, when utilizing one of  the most important elements -sound- it can be used as "character" to enhance a film.

RvD- any directors you worked with , that uses sound to the degree we are talking about? I know you have a story in there.

JW- ??

Old School?

SMorantz??

IzenEars- you love the horror genre-any filmmaker comes to mind for that matter?

Peter Devlin? who is I think, one of the most underratted, and one of the most passionate and very caring mixers I have dealt with.(as far as treating his crew and the project he is currently working on.)

(Bad Robot-inside joke)

no, I am not kissing his ass, he already is my client/customer and  friend.

thanx,

happy sunday all

Hey Frank, no dis, it's NBA play off time baby. I read your question and not having seen Cloverfield I was waiting for the thread to develop a bit before I jumped in. Personally I think most films have too much junk cluttering up the sonic landscape these days. 100%, 100% of the time is draining and insulting to me as a viewer with ears. My tastes in sound design runs closer to what the Coen Bros did with "No Country.." . Using the prod trk and enhancing those elements fit that fine film to the T. Less can be more in acting, filming, directing, certainly editing, and even sound, IMO. More later, I missed the games yesterday cause I was working, not going to happen today.

CrewC

old school,

I understand man, do see cloverfield when you get a chance. and yes you are damn right about No country.

With 2 young ones at home to keep me busy on the weekends or me to keep them busy. now a days I just watch the last 2 rounds (western & eastern conference finals, then ofcourse the NBA championship.

I really would like to see a LAKERS vs BOSTON finals with the lakers winning game 7 on a Kobe Bryant last second 22 ft fade a way jump shot.

side note- my buddy just did a Kobe commercial, and the mixer is not really a big sports fan, not big enough that he was unaware  Kobe has a dislocated pinkie on his shooting hand, and the same hand he shook!!,

a little bit to hard I may ad, that it made Kobe cringe and make a unflattering comment to him (in good fun, he says) well so far so good, Kobe is lighting things up. MVP- MVP- MVP

we all got a Little  nervous laugh back at the shop when he returned some gear, thinking about the consequences of what could have been.

LATER,

Ha ha, of course the scares (also called the experience) in horror movies are more than half of the fun!  I thought the Zack Snyder DOTD had some awesome sound design and just the right level of soundtrack.  In fact that movie has some of the scariest sounds in any horror movie.

I find most movies have way too much soundtrack, and furthermore the soundtrack is too loud.  Dialog is naturally softer than music, the music should be adjusted to the dialog's average db, not the peaks.

I loved Cloverfield, I saw it just before leaving NYC at Union Square having no idea it was such a New York movie.  I was not put off by the camera work.  I thought was very well done, and yes the soundscape was totally absorbing.

Hmm, I just saw The Ruins and thought that was some really really creepy sound fx.  I don't want to spoil it but it was unnatural and it worked to totally creep me and my girl out!

I also thought The Mist had some great distant-monster sound fx.  Paul L. did his usual amazing job getting production sound but there were definitely some masterful sound design added there.

So hey - anyone here a bonafide sound designer?  I would like to know exactly what you guys do?  In fact I'd love to know what all those post positions do.  I know what the ADR and foley do, and what the music supes and dialog editors do, but I really have no clue what the post mixer or sound designer do.  Anyone?

Dan Izen

Hey RVD, you are correct about Walter Murch, but he did much of the same thing on "American Graffiti" and other films that was done prior to "Apocalypse Now". I also saw Apocalypse at the Cinerama Dome on opening day with an old school bud from S C named Joe Woo. He is an editor and worked with Walter on 3 or 4 films later in his career. We were blown away that day for sure. Joe and I also saw "Star Wars" down the street at the Chinese on opening day. What a trip to think back on those days after film school and before our careers got going. We were wanna be's and fans of the cinema then. Both those films work as well as they do due to the strong sound design. These were the film school directors who truly believed that sound was an equal partner to picture in films. Amazingly they did it in a era that was stone age compared to these times we live and work in today. They set the bar high and many have followed. I also remember you and I day dreaming about doing production sound an then sound design and then re recording on a film by film basis. So that didn't work out, but we did all right just the same. I am working on a list of my favorite sound films and will post soon. Have fun shooting nights, (not easy), and go Lakers. Also thanks to Kevin S for the heads up on filmsounds.net. I thought I had read all the Walter Murch articals out there, but I was wrong.

CrewC

• 14 years later...