PROBLEM SOLVED - new thin cable DPA 4063 has RF problems

RadoStefanov

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Not related to the 4063 directly, but I just experienced strong RFi using Zaxnet with the DPA 5100, connected via its DAO*** / Lemo to XLR fanout. Adjusting and attempting to isolate the XLR cable runs from the Zaxnet antenna reduced, but did not eliminate the issue. Sending a heads up to DPA in the morning.

I've always found that my 4063's would pick up the rf from my Zante antennas when they were within about 15-20cm of it. But as the only time that happened was when I was plugging them into the to, I didn't worry about it.

I guess things to try after moving things about, is turning down your zaxnet power, or remoting the zaxnet antenna as well as looking into EMC XLRs from neutrik, as well as seeing if grounding or removing the ground on the shells of connectors helps anything.

Hope it's as simple as one of those solutions.

This is good news. 

I've been using DPAs more all the time, both with my Lectro and my Zaxcom systems.  Once used to them, it's kinda hard to go back. 

An anecdote:  Of course, lavs vary widely if based only on placement, clothing, etc.  Sometimes you get really lucky (funny, I should use that word considering the major sports figure I had laved at the time), but on one occasion I had a DPA (4061 IIRC) via Zaxcom wireless, and a Schoeps 641 hovering overhead.  In comparing the two, I at first thought I had routed the Schoeps to both channels as there was virtually no difference between them.  This is seldom the case, but on that particular day, with those particular placements, they were so closely matched that it was frightening.

One note:  I've had good success with some (but not all) of the 4060/4061 units with Zaxcom transmitters.  The ones that work fine seem to exhibit the same operational characteristics as the 4063 units.  Larry once mentioned something to the effect that internally the DPAs all operate from a lower voltage, so I'm guessing that production variations in the circuit supplying the voltage to the mic's innards may result in some of them working fine with Zaxcoms.  Where I would expect to experience the variation is in maximal SPL capabilitites, but I have yet to notice any difference. 

Of course, YMMV.

"An anecdote:  Of course, lavs vary widely if based only on placement, clothing, etc.  Sometimes you get really lucky (funny, I should use that word considering the major sports figure I had laved at the time), but on one occasion I had a DPA (4061 IIRC) via Zaxcom wireless, and a Schoeps 641 hovering overhead.  In comparing the two, I at first thought I had routed the Schoeps to both channels as there was virtually no difference between them."

I had exactly the same experience! The match was essentially perfect. 

Not related to the 4063 directly, but I just experienced strong RFi using Zaxnet with the DPA 5100, connected via its DAO*** / Lemo to XLR fanout. Adjusting and attempting to isolate the XLR cable runs from the Zaxnet antenna reduced, but did not eliminate the issue. Sending a heads up to DPA in the morning.

In my own experience, any mic is capable of picking up rfi from the IFB100 at close range, if that'swhat you're using for Zaxnet. And if your RX share the same power supply with an IFB100 they may be some noise introduced too.

By the way, the 5100 is based on 4061 capsules, isn't it?

Except that it also has a thin cable, right?

The DPA cable has always been thin (the topic heading is somewhat mis-leading since we don't actually know what manufacturing change introduced the current problem we are talking about). The above post was clarifying why we use (and have always used) 4063 with Zaxcom --- the 4063 is essentially identical to the 4061 but requires lower voltage for power (Zaxcom transmitters have always been a 3 volt system).

Excellent reporting (and I personally don't mind reports like this that are not purely "scientific"). For many of us, the difficulties encountered mounting the Zaxcom 742 on the fishpole will never be an issue since so few of us ever use a transmitter this way. Build quality and backlight issues, for me, are the main concerns, though there is nothing about the Zaxcom units that would ever make me give them up in favor of something else (like Lectrosonics, Audio, Ltd., etc.). The features and functions available on virtually all of the Zaxcom RF systems (complete remote control, recording, IFB send and receive, NeverClip, etc.) are just too important to give up. The sound quality, of course, is un-matched by any of the other wireless available.  I have gladly put up with some of the little annoying quirks to be able to achieve the quality of recordings I have made with Zaxcom wireless.

i agree with Jeff.

for years i have been working around the quirks of zaxcom gear because the features that they do offer make it worthwhile to do so.

regarding the play XLR connector, my boom operators started using some foot foam on the side of the tx and then using a bongo tie to keep it in place.

my boom ops also didnt mind the weight of the tx at the mic end of the pole. in fact much preferred it to an internal cabled pole. but then they are used to a panamic pole and a 2020 with vDB phantom bombe so it wasnt much difference.

regarding the RFI: I have noticed with my B24 742 that using a right-angled antenna reduces the otherwise heavy RFI getting in both my CMITs to zero.

As discribed in the other 742 thread I use a Rycote holder (cut off the part that goes around the XLR connector) which stabilizes the 742 enough to not have any mechanical or signal noises.

I agree with the tiny switch. That kind of switch isn´t designed for multiple on/off on a single day for years to come.

Thanks Geoff, for great report and I agree with almost every word (although I hope you might re-post it in one of the more relevant 742 threads. Once DPA gets going again, this part may get lost). RFI was luckily never a problem for me. For the XLR mount I do use an O-Ring from an older Rycote shield and it works quite well. And I do the same thing as Rich which is to put some Footfoam on the boom and add a tie around the tx so now it sits firmly on the pole. I think a properly gained Lectro tx with no radio noise sounds just as good, but the Zaxcom does have the upper hand sound-wise for me, too. The lack of noise bursts is just wonderful.