PROBLEM SOLVED - new thin cable DPA 4063 has RF problems

RadoStefanov

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the 2k filter turned on in the transmitter?

I get some noise from ZaxNet when I hold the mic near my Nomad. Is there still noise when no other rf devices are powered on?

Is the noise you're experiencing worse when the cable is coiled near the tx?

Are you sure the Lemo connector is properly terminated? I guess it's pretty obvious when the shell is not grounded, so I'm just checking.

Mark O.

Do you have the 2k filter turned on in the transmitter?

I get some noise from ZaxNet when I hold the mic near my Nomad. Is there still noise when no other rf devices are powered on?

Is the noise you're experiencing worse when the cable is coiled near the tx?

Are you sure the Lemo connector is properly terminated? I guess it's pretty obvious when the shell is not grounded, so I'm just checking.

Mark O.

Thanks mark.

Don't have the 2k on. The rf comes in different frequencies.

Cable is coiled away from the tx.

One of the usual suspects wired the mic and even though I required push pull lemo I got the threaded one.

No way to check...

hmm. i have some new 4063's coming to me imminently, which i will wire myself. will let you know how i get on.

though as i recall, before i properly grounded all my mics, i could sometimes get rf in the mic if the cable was positioned too close to the antenna. since grounding pin 1 to the shell, this hasnt been a problem. 

you can check if the mic is shielded properly with a voltmeter that has a continuity checker.

touch one probe to the pins in the connector, and one to the shell. it should beep. 

I recently bought two DPA 4063 lavs from one of the well-respected "usual suspects" and both had RF noise issues with Zaxcom transmitters, both a TRX900 and a TRX900LANC.  They wired another and sent it (this time it had a push-pull connector) and it, too, had RF issues.  I gave up.

Ironically, I have a couple of DPA 4061 lavs that work fine with my Zaxcom transmitters.

So, it appears that, along the lines of what Rado said, maybe DPA has changed something.

given that the 4063 was made by DPA for transmitters like Zaxcom's that put out less than the 5v that the 4061 requires to work optimally, perhaps you can see why there is some surprise that the updated version has changed something to the detriment of its current users.

Yep I can confirm rf problems here. 463 #LO6645. The newest one I had previous to that one is #LO6023, and its fine. I sent this one back to be rewired but its still having interference. It's worst when the cable is coiled next to the transmitter body as opposed to the aerial. The cable looks to be the same thickness though. I'll get in touch with the UK distributers tomorrow.

I had major RF problems with the first 4063 I got, to the unusable point, my dealer got another batch in and they sounded clean so they swapped it out.  Sometimes it seems like I have a bit of extra noise caused by RF, but it's slight and not a problem.  I would like to use DPA more because I like the sound better, but I am hesitant to buy more at the moment.

Ryan at Trew Audio Los Angeles is in conversation with DPA over this issue. I'm freaking out because all my gear is on its way to Hawaii so I can't check anything. I have 2 new DPA 4063 ser. no. L06653 and L06652, both dangerously close to the L06645 Andy P has stated.

I'm confident this will get sorted out between DPA and Trew Audio but I have no idea what the "fix" will be --- probably a return of these mics and some re-working of the current model before we can be back to the wonderful sounding trouble free mic I rely on.

Somebody should check the wiring. I know trew connects pin 1 to the shell . It is possible the shell should be connected only to the ground wire...

tried that when i first was getting to grips with wiring the zaxcoms. zaxcom said NO. shell and pin 1 must be connected to mic ground wire to prevent rf issues.

Somebody should check the wiring. I know trew connects pin 1 to the shell . It is possible the shell should be connected only to the ground wire...

Rado, when I was at Trew Audio this morning they had been following the topic (here) but nothing had really been determined yet. Ryan  did have lengthy conversation with DPA people who did keep asking about how things are wired. All of my DPA 4063 mics have been wired properly at Coffey Sound (now Trew Audio) so I don't think wiring is the issue here. Ryan is also aware that you got your mics from Trew and they are confident that the wiring is proper.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to send them a known bad mic as soon as I get it back from the customer. As I understand, he can't get away from set and will post it in the next day or two. From that point, DPA will be able to figure out the issue. I wish I could make the wheels move faster on this, but at least they are moving.