PROBLEM SOLVED - new thin cable DPA 4063 has RF problems

RadoStefanov

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to Sound Network in the UK. They're the UK distributors for DPA. There's a big event DPA are getting ready for, they're all really busy so they said I shouldn't expect any news until next week. 

I forwarded the link to this thread to Sound Network, and it has been passed onto the service department at DPA. This was the first time that they had heard of any issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

Confirming the same issue here. I have a hard wired earlier model 4063 (L02304) that is RF interference free, but the newer model (L06663) w/ DPA microdot to Lemo adapter...not so much.

I already sent one back (L06450) to the UK that sounded so bad I thought it was a defective capsule and they replaced with L06663, but this one's still having issues with my TRX900s.

What's even stranger is that the interference is worse on my LANC vs. LA. I could cut down on the interference on the LA by taping down the excess mic cable slack opposite from the pack, but the LANC had much higher RF interference in the same RF environment.

My LANC was sent in for another issue so I'll be following the developments and hoping that DPA solves this soon.

post-125-0-97087800-1381330252_thumb.jpg

Doing a test with FM modulation and no digital modulation.

If the problem exist with FM modulation (Audio Ltd, Lectrosonics etc); the DPA have done a big fault.

On Lectro, make sure the TA5F crimp is done as above. This dumps RF currents to the outside of the transmitter case.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

post-125-0-97087800-1381330252_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is from DPA today:

"I'm sorry for not keeping you up-to-date on the 4063 issue. The situation is that we are not able to establish the problem. I have asked the UK customer with the same problem for the exact model of the Zaxcom system – there are so many variants and we need to acquire a system which is similar in order to recreate the entire setup and provoke the fault"

Hopefully they will have a Zaxcom test system soon.

Back in the day when we were trying to convince Schoeps that they had an rfi issue with the Zaxcom radios (among other things) we discovered that using an RF signal generator with AM modulation (redundant, I know...) made the Schoeps fail every time.  We took an AM signal generator, fed it with 1 K tone and tuned it to the middle of block 26 (around 680 mHz).  If a Schoeps CMC6/41 got within 20 feet of it it outputted the 1K tone at high level (nothing subtle here).  If DPA monitors this site, find an AM generator !

After years of denying and rfi issue, once the problem was confirmed and repeatable Schoeps moved very quickly to fix it.  The had a new CMC6 out within 6 months. (well... somewhat quickly)...

Billy Sarokin

btw, those having issues with RFI in the DPAs, what block are you on?  We (me and Glenn at Zaxcom) also found that rfi sensitivity varied by frequency.  Before Schoeps modified their mics we tried building circuitry into XLR Female connectors.  Something that worked at Block 21 did not work on block 26 and visa versa.