PROBLEM SOLVED - new thin cable DPA 4063 has RF problems

RadoStefanov

I just spoke with Jose from trew audio. He just spoke with dpa. And they said things are not sorted yet. Just to add to the confusion. Dpa would do themselves a favor by joining jw sound and just keeping in touch I would say.

Does anyone here know if the 4073 (which is a low voltage version of the 4071). Works with the trx900la transmitter? Glenn?

I prefer it's sound to the 4063. A little more open in the top for my tastes. Anyone use it?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spoke with Jose from trew audio. He just spoke with dpa. And they said things are not sorted yet. Just to add to the confusion. Dpa would do themselves a favor by joining jw sound and just keeping in touch I would say.

Does anyone here know if the 4073 (which is a low voltage version of the 4071). Works with the trx900la transmitter? Glenn?

I prefer it's sound to the 4063. A little more open in the top for my tastes. Anyone use it?

the 4073 works fine with the zaxcom. but, when i tried to order some a few months back, i was told that they were being discontinued. though the US distributor may have some in the building if youre lucky.

The word i got from pro sound this morning is that it works fine with the micro dot adaptors, but not if it's directly wired to the lemo. Richard is checking again to see if that is still the case, our if they have newer info.

R they serious? Very keen to hear what you find out. Those micro dots on my friends setup break all the time. Do you think dpa have concluded this is the fix? I hope not.

I just rang dpa.

They said that the zaxcom outputs a lot of rf to start with. Dpa is in Europe and zaxcpm is hardly used there supposedly. So this "fix" is something they are working on but to me it does not sound like something that will be fixed per say. They said the resistors in the head were changed at some point. And they are trying to go back to old parts. But some parts aren't available anymore.

Like someone said earlier. Using the microdot adapter is the best way to run it as this adds more grounding and less interference. And said not to coil the excess cable near the antenna

He said this rf is not experienced with other companies. And while I support zaxcom the whole way. It does suggest that maybe zaxcom may be able to improve something on their side.

Oh and offer an option to run 5v mics like the 4080 :)

I just rang dpa.

They said that the zaxcom outputs a lot of rf to start with. Dpa is in Europe and zaxcpm is hardly used there supposedly. So this "fix" is something they are working on but to me it does not sound like something that will be fixed per say. They said the resistors in the head were changed at some point. And they are trying to go back to old parts. But some parts aren't available anymore.

Like someone said earlier. Using the microdot adapter is the best way to run it as this adds more grounding and less interference. And said not to coil the excess cable near the antenna

He said this rf is not experienced with other companies. And while I support zaxcom the whole way. It does suggest that maybe zaxcom may be able to improve something on their side.

the 4063 and 4073 were designed to accommodate transmitters that output 3.3v. like the zaxcom transmitters.

part of the problem is that digital radio mics rf modulation is more like AM than FM. and some mics are better shielded against AM than others. that said, i have never tried, or heard from anyone that has tried connecting any affected mics into any other digital radio mics.

the COS11D was developed to be shielded against digital rf transmission.

the 4063 and 4073 were designed to accommodate transmitters that output 3.3v. like the zaxcom transmitters.

part of the problem is that digital radio mics rf modulation is more like AM than FM. and some mics are better shielded against AM than others. that said, i have never tried, or heard from anyone that has tried connecting any affected mics into any other digital radio mics.

the COS11D was developed to be shielded against digital rf transmission.

Oh I see. Good to know.

Dpa mentioned the 4063 has the same capsule as the 4073. Which was good to hear since a little post eq can land me the same boost.

I'm going to order the dpa with microdot and use an adapter and see how that puppy holds up.

I just rang dpa.

I am contacting DPA tomorrow to get the info on this. I have been told in the past that they are working on it but it has now gone past the point where I can believe the info I have been given.

Some of the comments regarding RF power levels and resistors are not something that anyone with real knowledge of the problem would say.

Glenn

I'm glad Glenn is going right to the source as there's an awful lot of hearsay on the net.  Frequently, one person's question becomes the next person's "facts" as all the while a wide variety of suppositions are embellished.  The ambiguous term "knowledgeable source" is highly suspect these days.

My personal experience is that some DPAs other than the 4063/4073 work okay with Zaxcom transmitters.  I have quite a number of 4060 and 4061 versions as well as 4080 and 4099 models.  Most of them work fine with Zaxcom.  A few of them exhibit RF issues, so I only use those particular ones with Lectrosonics transmitters.  I've had good success using Zaxcom transmitters with a mix of some of the above that have Microdot connectors with Lemo adapters and others that are wired directly to Lemo connectors.

Not long ago I purchased a couple of 4063s from one of our usual suspects and they both (along with replacement ones) exhibited RF issues so they were all returned for a full and courteous refund.

I am contacting DPA tomorrow to get the info on this. I have been told in the past that they are working on it but it has now gone past the point where I can believe the info I have been given.

Some of the comments regarding RF power levels and resistors are not something that anyone with real knowledge of the problem would say.

Glenn

Awesome Glen. I'm glad. I'm glad. As you say. And others. It seems to be a different scenario every time we call. Something feels fishy.

I'd be curious to snip off a sanken wire and team it with the dpa.

Awesome Glen. I'm glad. I'm glad. As you say. And others. It seems to be a different scenario every time we call. Something feels fishy.

I'd be curious to snip off a sanken wire and team it with the dpa.

Good luck rewiring the head of a lav.  If you could master that you'd develop a customer base. <g>

"He said this rf is not experienced with other companies. And while I support zaxcom the whole way. It does suggest that maybe zaxcom may be able to improve something on their side."

This is nonsense and it doesn't explain why DPA lavs all of a sudden had problems with Zaxcom wireless. The RF that Zaxcom wireless producer has NOT changed so making the suggestion that Zaxcom needs to change something is ridiculous. I have had as many as 8 DPA lavs that have worked absolutely flawlessly with Zaxcom transmitters --- then two new ones I purchased were NOT working properly. DPA needs to solve this no matter how many people are using their mics or how small our market is. Period.

Thank you Glenn for contacting DPA directly on this issue.  I look forward to hearing what you find out.  There is some conflicting info going around about this issue.

I don't claim to know how much of DPA's market their lavs are, but lavs are a solid part of their product line, and apparently a change has caused an issue, so they should find a solution.

I don't claim to know how much of DPA's market their lavs are, but lavs are a solid part of their product line, and apparently a change has caused an issue, so they should find a solution.

It's only Senator who claims to know that our market doesn't much interest companies like DPA and Sennheiser. This, in my opinion, can't be true as both companies build various products specifically tailored to our needs.

"Well, to throw another wrinkle out there, my bad DPA is a newer model using the microdot and adapter and good DPA is an older hard wired version."

I will add that ALL of my good (excellent, great sounding) DPAs are wired directly to the connector (no microdot). The new ones (problems) are all wired directly to the connector.

UPDATE:

Mikkel Nymand and Eric Mayer of DPA and I have been in pretty steady contact about this since the beginning. I have been silent because I didn't want to report speculation and felt I should wait until I had something concrete. They have identified the problem but feel that it needs to be field tested before it is deployed. They have shipped me several 4063 that I will be getting out to my affected customers for field testing.. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Stay tuned for more.