PROBLEM SOLVED - new thin cable DPA 4063 has RF problems

RadoStefanov

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JB: " going right to the source as there's an awful lot of hearsay on the net. "

really ?

Doug: " my bad DPA is a newer model using the microdot and adapter and good DPA is an older hard wired version. "

yes, that is exactly what this thread is about...

Olle: " you're all saying is that these are all random issues! "

nope  (read the thread title again...)

Con: " It's only Senator who claims to know that our market doesn't much interest companies like DPA and Sennheiser. "

I'm being mis-quoted... I never said that.

[quote name="studiomprd" post="241947" timestamp="1391814131"

Con: " It's only Senator who claims to know that our market doesn't much interest companies like DPA and Sennheiser. "

I'm being mis-quoted... I never said that.

I didn't quote you, I was summarising what you said in this and other threads. The quote was:

"maybe so, but the business they do with us is a very tiny part of their marketplace".

I think I'm close enough

What I'm wondering is why Zaxcom has stuck to using the 3V dc bias when the rest of the world seems to be using a different and more commonly usable bias voltage scheme. So now everyone who uses the Zax wires has to buy an even more obscure version of mics that are somewhat obscure to begin with. And I say this as a DPA lav devotee.

Is there no way for the Zaxcom wireless to output a voltage other what they presently do? That would seem to resolve much of the issue that warranted 182 posts and all the consternation so far. This is probably something that is beyond a firmware solution on existing units but Zaxcom may want to look at this for future compatibility. Maybe a software selected bias voltage selection in the future?

Scott

What I'm wondering is why Zaxcom has stuck to using the 3V dc bias when the rest of the world seems to be using a different and more commonly usable bias voltage scheme. So now everyone who uses the Zax wires has to buy an even more obscure version of mics that are somewhat obscure to begin with. And I say this as a DPA lab devotee.

Is there no way for the Zaxcom wireless to output a voltage other what they presently do? That would seem to resolve much of the issue that warranted 182 posts and all the consternation so far. This is probably something that is beyond a firmware solution on existing units but Zaxcom may want to look at this for future compatibility. Maybe a software selected bias voltage selection in the future?

Scott

Yep. Agreed. Would probably need hardware changes to a few components (if it was possible) - DC-DC boost converters and the like.

Since Sanken, DPA and Countryman all work at 3.3V it was decided to save the battery power to make the unit run longer rather than waist power making 5.0V. This was what we did 12 years ago and it may not be necessary for us today but thats where we are.

Glenn

"Is there no way for the Zaxcom wireless to output a voltage other what they presently do? That would seem to resolve much of the issue that warranted 182 posts and all the consternation so far."

I don't think a change in the bias voltage (thus making other DPA models available to use) would have made any difference in this current problem that has prompted the 182 posts you mention. DPA has stated that the 4063 (low voltage model Zaxcom users use) is no different in performance or specification to the other models that use the higher voltage bias (5 volts). Zaxcom users would not have discovered these other models have the same problem (a change in manufacturing) because we don't use the models with the 5v bias.

DPAs have been great with Zaxcom transmitters from the very beginning. When Sanken made the necessary changes (which benefitted everyone, not just Zaxcom users) and came out with the COS-11-D, that made the most popular lav (though not my favorite) work perfectly. As Glenn has pointed out, Countryman (B6, and others) have also worked without any problems, as well as Voice Technologies, Sennheiser, Rode, etc. There has not been any shortage of microphones available. The pisser is that the mic we all love just suddenly stopped working properly. That said, I think DPA has finally discovered the problem and it has been corrected.

UPDATE:

I just received an email from Mikkel Nymand, the product manager at DPA. After thorough testing, in the lab and in the field, they have implemented some component and production changes to the 4063. This issue is officially solved for new mics.

thanks Ryan, TrewAudio and DPA for quickly tackling and resolving the problem

I've been watching this thread since it started. I have three 4063 that I use with my Zaxcom TRX900LA transmitters. When I first started using them I would occasionally hear some noise, particularly when the cable was wrapped near the tx. I contacted Zaxcom and was told to use the 2k filter. That has mostly eliminated the noise, but it isn't a solution, just a work-around. I sometimes hear noise of the high-noise-floor-type and wonder if this is due to the noise problem that started this thread. It makes me question my mics.

Is there a way to know if my mics are indeed affected by this issue? Is there a particular path to getting replacements?

I know I can contact DPA, but will the person I reach have a clue as to what I'm talking about? My dealer for the mics was Pro Sound, but I hesitate to contact them because they couldn't even wire them properly for Zaxcom tx - I had to modify all of them after I received them. I would love to have bought them at Trew Audio, my usual dealer, but they weren't selling them at the time I made my purchase (Nashville office any way). Trew has always provided me with great service and it's no surprise to see them taking the lead in tracking down the problem with these mics.

Mark O.

Since Sanken, DPA and Countryman all work at 3.3V it was decided to save the battery power to make the unit run longer rather than waist power making 5.0V. This was what we did 12 years ago and it may not be necessary for us today but thats where we are.

Glenn

Glen,

Not sure if I'm reading between the lines but does this mean that you are considering a move to 5v? I'm only asking as I'm thinking of moving to zax radios and at the moment this means having to buy all new dpa's even though I have lots of 4060's from my current system, just because of the difference in voltage....

Mark, if you are hearing the interference, your mics are affected.

Thats a bit of a stretch I think. I have bought my 4063 years ago and there was some RFI all the time which the 2k notch minimized. It was a very small amount and hardly audible (only when using the 4063 as plants and using more gain on the TRX).

I have not been listening to the latest (faulty) version but from this thread I would expect some RFI which made the 4063 completely useless.