New Sound Cart (Filmtools Upright and SKB)

MT Groove

I finally put together my new cart and put it to the test this past week. It has been performing extremely well. I kept it simple yet effective. But it will constantly receive upgrades. The build process never ends.

I will post better pics soon. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome. First mod will be to build a battery tray to properly hold the Pelican battery. Next up will be some lights.

post-639-137912674345.jpgpost-639-137912676199.jpg

post-639-137912680059.jpg

post-639-137912683801.jpg

Sammy Huen

Hey Vale,

Here is the components for the Antenna mast.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546540-REG/Manfrotto_099B_3_Section_Extension_Pole_35.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503258-REG/Manfrotto_154B_154_Triple_Microphone_Holder.html

The pole rests on a slight protusion on the bottom of the cart.  I simply secure it to the cart by wrapping a stip of velcro around and zip ties tio finish it off.  Seems very secure so far.  Hope this helps.

Splendid job. Elegant and clean. I'm still working off a PSC sound cart upright I received for some music playback on an episodic I did years ago, instead of a money. Production bought it for a British sound mixer and I ended up with it. No complaints.

Sans Pelican battery of course, heavy? Looks like a few heavy rack mount drawers. I can't seem to find any light ones.

Just ordered Manfrotto triple head. This forum is setting me back some duckets. Like the majority of us sound mixers I love new practical solutions, especially if they're lighter than what I've been doing (C-Stand arm). Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Dean

Sent from my iPad -

Dean Gudmundson

shadowsnd@aol.com

• 2 months later...

Splendid job. Elegant and clean. I'm still working off a PSC sound cart upright I received for some music playback on an episodic I did years ago, instead of a money. Production bought it for a British sound mixer and I ended up with it. No complaints.

Sans Pelican battery of course, heavy? Looks like a few heavy rack mount drawers. I can't seem to find any light ones.

Just ordered Manfrotto triple head. This forum is setting me back some duckets. Like the majority of us sound mixers I love new practical solutions, especially if they're lighter than what I've been doing (C-Stand arm). Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Dean

Sent from my iPad -

Dean Gudmundson

shadowsnd@aol.com

starcase has aluminum drawers. you save 11.25lbs over steel for a 3U drawer:

http://www.starcase.com/3RU_alum_rack_drawer_detail.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice carts guys! Love the custom battery holder...

Andy and Sammy, what size cases are those? I was guessing a 10u and a 6u for Sammy's and (2) 10u or 12u for Andy's cart. Thinking of doing a similar setup but with a 12u and an 8u on the smaller FilmTools cart like Sammy did but with the SKB cases like Andy's (because of recessed latches).

The pics were posted a little bit ago, you guys still happy with this type of setup?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Sammy

Have you secured the cases to the cart with ratchet straps (I cant quite make it out from the photos)?

How do you find the Filmtools cart - any problems thus far? I remember a thread where Paul Graff said as well as being quite heavy, he found it unstable and all the weight was on the front wheels. 

Really nice job - very impressive set up

Stuart

Very nice. Black Magic really hit the ball out of the park with those dual rack mount monitors!

I am going to try to build a somewhat similar setup in the near future and am curious how you guys secure your recorders and other non rack mount gear to prevent it from moving around?

Very nice. Black Magic really hit the ball out of the park with those dual rack mount monitors!

Well, yes and no.  They are SDI input only, so if an SDI feed is all you'll ever receive, then yes.  If you sometimes get a composite feed, then you'll need a composite to SDI converter -- an HDMI feed requires an HDMI to SDI converter -- component requires a component to SDI converter, etc.

I'm not knocking them, they're what I'm currently using, but with situations like a feature I worked on last summer, (sometimes an HD-SDI feed, and sometimes a composite feed), not ideal for every situation.

I switched to them a while back because the Video Assist team I work with most of the time prefers to send a 23.976-PSF signal which not all monitors will handle (The BMD Duo will).  The monitors I was using were ideal except for that as they could handle composite, HDMI, component, SDI, and HD-SDI (everything except for 23.976-PSF - yikes!).

Stuart, I currently secure the SKB cases with a ratchet strap.

Yes that filmtools cart is relatively heavy and much weight is over the front wheels. It is not the most maneuverable cart. However, I do like the smaller footprint compared to the magliner type carts. By having the Pelican case battery over the rear wheels, it also distribute the weight better.

Sammy Huen