Lav consistency

Jesper Magnusson

I very seldom have to conceal lavs and never taped to skin. In this case I would assume you also tape the sweater to the tape that is holding the mic, to keep the sweater from rubbing on the mic. Is this correct?

Sometimes, depending on the material and how noisy it is. Some topstick (or double sided tape) usually helps to diminish clothing rustle / movement, but you have to be careful that it doesn't look too obvious.

In this case I would assume you also tape the sweater to the tape that is holding the mic, to keep the sweater from rubbing on the mic. Is this correct?

Often it is possible to find a spot where nothing rubs (usually right at the center of the chest) if the mic is small enough. Else I prefer to tape a bigger piece of soft fur over the mic, with a small hole where the capsule is. It gets tricky when it's a hairy chest and a tight sweater or t-shirt. One may consider other places than the chest.

Taping the shirt to the chest always looks strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Good question.

First line of thinking is always where to best place it for noiselessness. All other considerations come after that.

Few places work for that noise-free attachment, or maybe I've a lack of imagination.

Have found that using same make/model lav on all the talkers works best if I intend to mix the scene, that's for sure.

Problem is, the player facing the street will always have more street than the individual facing away. In that event, I keep the noisier lav open, and dont' cross-fade, but raise and lower the quieter mic.

Jan

LOVE LOVE LOVE Jan McL!!!!  But there is one problem with this technique.  When the actors are close to each other, if you don't cross fade there will be phasing.  Best bet there is to roll a little ambience tone and let post add the traffic noise to the quieter actor. 

btw, did I mention, LOVE Jan McL!

LOVE LOVE LOVE Jan McL!!!!  But there is one problem with this technique.  When the actors are close to each other, if you don't cross fade there will be phasing.  Best bet there is to roll a little ambience tone and let post add the traffic noise to the quieter actor. 

btw, did I mention, LOVE Jan McL!

And I love you too, Billy :) XOXOX

In that face-to-face-real-close event, tend to use one lav or the other for both...depending on lots of factors, but yeah, one rather n' two works better than a hard cross fade for my fingers.