iZotope RX3

Karri

So the new RX is out. For RX2 users, iZotope has a pretty sweet upgrade deal, from RX2 standard was around $150? for RX3 standard and $499 for RX3 Advanced. I went the advanced route this time, mostly for the deverb function. I only had a little time to play with it before leaving for a shooting trip for the rest of the week, but the two new modules, the deverb and the realtime dialogue denoiser seem like solid tools.

I just started using RX3 Advanced on docy. Incredible time and clip saver, way better than RX2. I voted with my pocketbook!

Upgrade was $399 from RX2 Advanced. Worth it.

Just curious about the mechanics of how you use it in a docy edit if you wouldn't mind explaining please? Do you extract a track or two from the edit, process it with RX3 and then re-sync? RX3 will only deal with up to two tracks (stereo) and doesn't re-export timecode and metadata (track names, notes etc.) does it? Presumably unless you've used pitch or time stretch everything stays in sync?

Thanks

Pindrop, RX is both a stand-alone app and suite of plug-ins, so there's really little chance of needing to resync; you either process the audio file (conveniently through the DAW) destructively or apply a plug-in to the relevant tracks. For myself I link it with Logic Pro in the prefs. So whenever I need to process a file, I just select the region, hit the keyboard shortcut to open RX, process, then close. Logic immediately refreshes the file information/overview (about 90% of the time anyway). This is the main procedure since Spectral repair is so useful but isn't available like the other simpler plug-ins.

I run the RX3 processes as plugins while I'm editing. If I need a quick NR or de-reverb pass I select the clip, do a destructive process* (it's very fast, particularly if you've already saved a preset for that character/setup), and keep editing.

It's only when I need to do elaborate spectral work that I open the full app, with its compare function. And syncing isn't an issue at all: I do a quick bounce of the area I'm working on, click the 'replace with bounced version' in the timeline, open it from the project folder but in RX App and process, and when I save it has the same start point... so it goes right back in sync.

I've been working that way with the full app since the first version of RX. It's the plug-ins in RX3 that have made it a killer app for me.

--

* of course making a muted unprocessed copy on an adjacent track first.

I run the RX3 processes as plugins while I'm editing. If I need a quick NR or de-reverb pass I select the clip, do a destructive process* (it's very fast, particularly if you've already saved a preset for that character/setup), and keep editing.

It's only when I need to do elaborate spectral work that I open the full app, with its compare function. And syncing isn't an issue at all: I do a quick bounce of the area I'm working on, click the 'replace with bounced version' in the timeline, open it from the project folder but in RX App and process, and when I save it has the same start point... so it goes right back in sync.

I've been working that way with the full app since the first version of RX. It's the plug-ins in RX3 that have made it a killer app for me.

--

* of course making a muted unprocessed copy on an adjacent track first.

Great thanks for explaining all that, that's very helpful. I'm thinking I'll get RX3 before the offer ends on Sept 27th. One last question does it seem to be OK to have elements of the plug in and the stand alone app open at the same time or does the edit or RX3 get confused?

thanks.

does it seem to be OK to have elements of the plug in and the stand alone app open at the same time or does the edit or RX3 get confused

My DAW only opens the plugin for as long as I'm doing destructive processing on a clip. If you need to process something else, the plugin restarts but with the same settings. So this hasn't come up.

It's possible I'd get into a double-open situation if I have a plug inserted in a channel ... but I don't see RX as something you'd put in a whole channel, like a compressor or equalizer.

I have been using RX 2 for a few years now and just upgraded to RX 3 Advanced.  For $499, it was worth every penny!  I have been using the Waves WNS as a real-time plug-in on my DX tracks, but I see myself using the new RX Dialogue Denoiser in a similar way (real time, automating the settings for each clip).  The Dereverb works really well and is easier to use than Unveil.  I have not used it yet, but I could see the Deconstruct being helpful for some more difficult noises.

must smart a bit if you'd alreay shelled out for Advanced

It did when I first thought about it...

but over the past few days, being able to reach in to some city dialog and pull out the brake squeals and traffic horns by just selecting them ...

plus being able to take an archival vinyl record and split it into clean music on one fader, and all the clicks and crackles on another so we can set exactly how loud they are...

all while I'm mixing, without leaving my DAW...

...it's been worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using RX 3 Advanced (upgraded from RX2 Regular) on a Feature Doc and it was been working wonders on even the WORST of it.  It is all shot in Central America and almost everything is a camera-mounted shotgun in a sofie.

I have been using spectral repair to get rid of all the camera handling noise and LF wind rumble.  The new Dialogue Denoiser + Denoiser in Adaptive mode have been great for all the broadband noise.  I have also been using the ReReverb to great success on a few interviews.

For HF hiss, I have been using an instance of Waves' WNS on my DX tracks with the uppermost band set to 20khz and dropping that down as needed w/ automation.  What is everyone else doing to get rid of HF hiss with RX?

There is one sequence where there is a kid up in a tree delivering lines with only the camera mounted boom down below.  I was able to strip out the LF rumble w Spectral Repair + Dialogue Denoiser + Rereverb + WNS for the hiss that yielded an end result that makes is sound like he was wearing a lav!

Gone are the days of using C4+BNR!

I upgraded from RX2Adv which I use almost every day to RX3Adv. Great update.

One thing I was missing was the "Scan" function on the Gain module. iZotope support showed me this new window (A new item under the View menu), which I find invaluable - so much so I suggested they add a feature where users can dock it to the interface instead of having a floating window:

post-1384-0-77929600-1382048495_thumb.pn

Anyway, enjoying the ride. 

RX is an amazing tool.  I did cringe a little when going from RX2 advanced to RX3 advanced, but did it regardless.  Used it for a quick cleanup job and was happy with the new dialog rx

Absolutelly agree. Each version is huge milestone for post related work. For me is suitable also as good basic audio editor (encode/decode MS, fades, resample, save, markers...).