iZotope RX3

Karri

Do you think I could throw RX3 at this problem? And am I springing for the dialog denoiser in the advanced package? I like to think my editors don't have to touch my product, so I've utterly fallen out of the nest as to what I can do - eqs, filters, destructive plugins - and what is best left alone.

I just came from a shoot having calibrated my mixer to clipping level on the recorder, sending tone and adjusting, and checking my playbacks obsessively (Sounded like I was in the same room hearing the lines for myself, only drier than even monitoring my channels. Good sign, I thought. But once that Red Epic whirls up again...) only to find little piss puttering waves when I got back to my editor. (Would you believe as quoted from the engineers with the mixer manufacturer, the SD card might be the culprit? Or maybe it's the rudimentary visual input increments on the Tascam DR-40? Or maybe it is me ever foolishly concluding that I actually know what I'm doing.)

The dialog sounds good, and it's all there. But gain brings a consistent noise floor along with it. (Insert expletive and heart palpitations, midnight mumbling and pacing here.) I can get about 7db gain before the constant background becomes onerous. And I want this to sound good out of laptop speakers.

Here's a follow up: is there anything you cannot do in the plug-in version? Does the denoiser work in-line in a DAW or just the stand-alone version? Because I bet I could get this job done within the 10 days they offer as a fully functioning plug-in. In the meantime, I'll read up and see if I can contribute to these answers for the community.

Cheers for that Mattias,

Still, if it ends up being too expensive, maybe I'll hire you or rent your workstation?

I'm also seeing that the standard version does have a single band denoiser. I'd have to analyze it further, but if its just the pre-amps on the recorder, then maybe the problem is consistent enough for me to tackle on my own with the version that I can afford.

J

" maybe it is me ever foolishly concluding that I actually know what I'm doing. "

well, you said it...

" I like to think my editors don't have to touch my product, so I've utterly fallen out of the nest as to what I can do - eqs, filters, destructive plugins - and what is best left alone. "

but even before you said it, this was my first clue...

" maybe it's the rudimentary visual input increments on the Tascam DR-40? "

that was another...

" gain brings a consistent noise floor along with it. "

this, too...

in another current thread I mention that lots of cheap gear can create 24/96 files, but that doesn't mean the audio is that good!

" I want this to sound good out of laptop speakers. "

not the industry standard reference..pretty variable from laptop to laptop...

" from a shoot having calibrated my mixer to clipping level on the recorder, sending tone and adjusting, and checking my playbacks obsessively "

another clue ...

" if it ends up being too expensive, "

it may, for the TASCAM /ZOOM crowd, and it is another clue...

I get a feeling of "style over substance" here...

Oh Senator, you're such a stinker sometimes and I love you. I hope you are not that hard on yourself when you make mistakes.

"Too expensive for my own budget" I should say. Maybe you've read Ayn Rand too many times, but some of us don't have much money and life is not fair. So what does it say about you that you are kicking me while I'm lifeless in the dirt? If you could be any less pragmatic in your answers, not to mention your attempt at hijacking the topic, I would flag you for trolling.

By "obsessively playing back," I mean confirming that it sounded good in my RETURN (as well as the phone outs of the recorder) and not taking that for granted. Not, "obsessively changing things trying to fix something that was odd but never getting it just right."

No, truly, I like substance, and most likely I'll pay for some resemblance of it-unfortunately ex ante this time. And no, laptop speakers are not my monitors. They are unfortunately the first impression for many consumers and clients. I have the HS80m's and the 10w. Shoot me for not affording Adams. With your logic, it must be because my monitors are more stylish. I genuinely praise your input and always check your related threads, so were good.

James,

If you have a small clip you can send it to me and as long as there's a quiet spot with tone only I can see what I can do on iZotope RX3. If it's sufficient then you know to either hire someone with it or if it's worth buying. I have some time this week so we could do that if you want. I'm also in NYC btw.

Thanks Mattias,

I spoke to an Izotope rep, and he thought I should get good results as well-sigh of relief that even he recommended the full band denoiser. I'd spring for it. I'll A/B with the advanced version and the dialog denoiser in order to see if it really weighs in with a better result. (Also, the dereverb - and maybe even pitch - will probably help it to analyze the background as well as cut better with VO dialog.) And I'd be happy to share a file with you here in the city. In the least, let me spot us a bite and touch base. It helps me to know a good dialog editor.

Cheers,

J

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a follow up: is there anything you cannot do in the plug-in version? Does the denoiser work in-line in a DAW or just the stand-alone version? Because I bet I could get this job done within the 10 days they offer as a fully functioning plug-in. In the meantime, I'll read up and see if I can contribute to these answers for the community.

There are plug-in versions, but there used to be about a :30 second limitation in track length with RX2 as a Pro Tools plug-in. I dunno if they fixed this or not. At the moment, I'm just using it as a standalone, then reimporting the piece back into Pro Tools as necessary.

There are plug-in versions, but there used to be about a :30 second limitation in track length with RX2 as a Pro Tools plug-in. I dunno if they fixed this or not. At the moment, I'm just using it as a standalone, then reimporting the piece back into Pro Tools as necessary.

Time restriction is hugely expanded, it's only really an issue if you're at 192khz (I think it's still 30sec there)

There is a new version of Spectral Layers now out (v2), but I continue to hear there are problems with user support by Sony. The support on iZotope is fantastic -- they're very quick to answer emails and solve basic problems in my experience.

And an update: I see that iZotope has just posted a 112-page PDF booklet of instructions on how to use iZotope RX 3, which is informative both on what it can do and what it can't do (like get the microphone closer to the subject):

http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/iZotope_AudioRepair.pdf

The 30 seconds limitation was expanded to 45 seconds ( on 44.1 kHz ) - around 42 sec on 48 kHz - and 10 seconds on 192 kHz with an update Izotope released about a year ago.
Version 2.10.656 offered the expanded capture time + further improvements.

About to jump on the RX3 boat soon and happy to hear that 192 kHz capturing is poped up to 30 seconds.
That's 3 times more than what was available on the latest RX2 firmware update.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...