iPhone is now a network camera

Matt Mayer

While waiting around for post-game interviews yesterday at Notre Dame, I saw a scary sight.

An iPhone on a tripod, with a mic connected and an ESPN mic flag on the microphone.

I checked ESPN.com this morning and sure enough, there is an interview with the Michigan State coach on this setup:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=332640087

I had heard rumours of ESPN cleaning house, getting rid of a lot of their long-time producers, and hiring a bunch of relative youngsters to work cheap and do things like this, but this was the first time I had seen it in action.

The race to the bottom is accelerating.

I was recently asked by a cameraman to take his lights and my audio to

an NFL training camp to do interviews. The producer was given a camera 

and was going to shoot the interview with ESPN's camera. Awful. I don't

really want to participate in the collapse of an industry. 

Sadly, I think we are going to see more and more of this type of scenario.

I saw an guy in the World Series of baseball last year interviewing players

with an iPad....Cameraguys were telling him to "get that thing out of the shot."

He was holding it about 5 inches from the players face. Ughh.

I've been visiting various breweries in the Midwest and elsewhere for a doc I've been working on. We're often interviewed by local news crews. At Great Lakes in Cleveland, I met this producer/preditor/cameraman who worked for a local network affiliate, who was by himself with a JVC camcorder fitted with an SR unit. He had a handheld mic with a buttplug, as well as a lav mic Lectro transmitter. It just so happens that he was on the same block as I was, so I asked him what frequency he was using, so as not to interfere with each other. He had no idea - I guess they set them and leave them there.

Anyway, he conducted and shot the interviews, he shot the B roll, edited and even voiced the final piece, which was 6 or 7 minutes long. He's obviuosly very experienced and the piece looks and sounds good, for what it is, but you KNOW that as recently as five years ago there would have been at least three people involved in making it.

BK

I noticed at this last NBA All Star game a young correspondent from Asia was doing her stand up with an Iphone, I'm assuming that was for the internet. I also notice that Iphones with tripods and mic rigs at SXSW music/film fest are becoming more freq instead of the 5D's. I still see a lot of 5D's but seems more blogger/reporters are showing up with Iphones, again I bet these are mostly for video blogs on the internet.

Even LA local news reporters are working by themselves in the field. They drive the truck, set up the camera, lights, and sound, and do everything. 

A friend with whom I shared this discussion replied with this:

encouraging not monitoring audio....tis a bad thing. 

• 3 weeks later...