Difference b/n PAL 24p & NTFS 24P

JCC

I googled this a lot but have not found a definitive answer:

If you shoot PAL 24p on 5D mark3 and NTFS 24(23.98) on any other hd cam, and both are exact same start/stop times and exact same audio/footage- will there be any difference?

My 5D mark3 has PAL and NTFS system settings, and they both offer 24p- is there a difference?

What's the difference between PAL 24p and NTFS 24p?

I understand PAL is 50hz and NTFS is 60hz,

And I get that PAL likes 25fps because it is easily divisible into 50, and NTFS likes 30, or 23.976 with a pull-down because that can be divided into 60. But 24 into 50? Are the base times (50, 60) no longer an issue in HD?

If there is no difference, will PAL 24p cut seamlessly with any other NTFS 24p?

" NTFS system settings "

??

" The NTSC camera will produce a clip with .01% fewer frames that takes the same amount of time to playback "

I've never seen it put that way...and that is incorrect!

PAL is a system of encoding color onto video signals, and NTSC is a different method of doing that, but it requires a non-integer frame rate, that is a frame rate .1% slower than integer rates.  thus it takes longer than 1 exact second to complete the companion integer frame rate number of frames... (example at 29.97 FPS, the 30th frame is completed, but it extends beyond one second of time.)

From what I know. 24p is on todays Firmwares actually 23,97.

REAL 24p has been killed on the 5D a few years/monthes ago.

But It could be that 24p "pal" is real 24p as we (PALpeople) don't use fractions (0.03) for color sampling. And 24p NTSC could be 23.79 to be in pair with the color sampling of NTSC countries.... ?

You can shoot a test of both settings and make a commande+i on the file to see what it tells you.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...