UHF frequencies available in New York City?

Bruno S

Hi everybody,

I'm going to record sound for a documentary in New York City in october and would have information about available UHF frequencies.

I have wireless system using the allowed frequencies in Belgium: a Lectrosonics Srb and SMDB in block 20 (512-537,5 MHz) for Lavalier mic and a Sennheiser G3 (823-865 MHz) for monitoring sound to the camera.

I had the informations that the block 20 is not the worst in NYC but the best is the 26 and that also depend of the place in NYC (north, south etc.). I don't know yet precisely where I'm going to shoot.

Has anybody experimented the using of these frequencies in NYC?

Could anybody using available frequencies in NYC give me some tips?

I'm alone to record and boom so I plan to use the antennas provided with the UHF systems. Using directionnals antennas could help but seems to me a bit difficult and not ergonomic to use in this case but if you have advices or tips to improve the reception, that is welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bruno S.

Bruno,

Best to check in with an establishment like Professional Sound Services In NYC, Rich Hart is who I deal with, and he or anyone of the employees will steer you in the right direction. They also have rental packages if your equipment is not suitable. Really great group over there , definitely check them out, give them a call!

JHW

Bruno,

212-586-1033

Hi everybody,

I will test my systems on NYC. I'm glad to know that block 20 is in second position in the top four of the available blocks in this city. Anyway, I'll probably rent in NYC other wireless system to avoid bad surprises and big problems.

I'll also take my little spectrum analyser in my luggage to have a look in this high frequencies jungle.

Thank you all a lot for your precious feedbacks.

Greetings from Belgium,

Bruno

Taking into account the differing opinions you will receive on this topic, the one consistent piece of advice I have received from almost every mixer I have spoken with in the NYC tri-state area is to avoid Blocks 22-23 like the plague. Other than that, within reason, almost any block in NYC will work with high quality RX/TX combos (I'm a Lectro user - 211/411a in blocks 21 and 25 respectively).

Best of luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

www.fccinfo.com  Saw it on this chart from Lectrosonics. Lectro's great, always teaching me new things. Enter the zipcode or whatever. Works great for 21 and 26 210Ds where I have to guess a frequency (24 I have some problems with but at least I have a 201 w/scanner). The lectrosonics site & some receivers have the tv-station-channel listed too with each frequency. 

" almost every mixer I have spoken with in the NYC tri-state area is to avoid Blocks 22-23 like the plague. "

they are saving those blocks for themselves...

It's strange because when I first started buying wireless the pro-audio guys at B&H told me that Sennheiser Block G was best in NY. But later on I realized Block G's range of 566.000-608.000 was the same/close-to Lectrosonics Block 22 (563.200-588.700) and Block 23 (588.00 to (614.300). Maybe because it's over a wider range? Block G has always worked for me pretty well in NYC. 

for what it's worth.....I just spent a few days working at the Javits convention center using Block 21 and 25 and had no issues....

+1 - I use Blocks 21 and 25 everywhere in NYC all the time with almost no issues. Mind you I only run on average 2-3 wireless, but I have (knock on wood) never yet been in a situation where 21 and/or 25 has failed me. Use those blocks regularly everywhere from Times Square to deep in Brooklyn.