Shure UA 844 shutdown issue

Harris K

Hi all,

I'm using a Shure UA844 for antenna distribution, which I have not done extensively previously. I found today that when either BNC input is connected to a lectro SNA600 dipole antenna, the unit shuts off and ceases antenna distro, though still passes DC to the RXs. Everything was fine when connected to sharkfins. I did not have an oppurtunity to try with a ground lift, though initial research suggests it's a start. This occurred while on genny and house power. Can anyone point me in a direction for how and why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Harris

is there any powering enabled to the antenna outs - for instance if you had used powered sharkfins before.

the lectro dipoles read as a short for DC, so the antenna distribution may be shutting down when it sees the dipole.

lectro have just announced a fix for this if you are unable to switch off the antenna power.

**edit**

in fact, looking at the manual, it does appear that there is dc at the antenna out, but there doesnt appear to be any obvious way to switch it off, but the manual is pretty poor.

though maybe Shure can help you out, as it may be as simple as an internal switch. (it may not be though)

Hi all,

I'm using a Shure UA844 for antenna distribution, which I have not done extensively previously. I found today that when either BNC input is connected to a lectro SNA600 dipole antenna, the unit shuts off and ceases antenna distro, though still passes DC to the RXs. Everything was fine when connected to sharkfins. I did not have an oppurtunity to try with a ground lift, though initial research suggests it's a start. This occurred while on genny and house power. Can anyone point me in a direction for how and why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Harris

Hi Harris,

You need the improved  SNA600a, which has a DC blocking cap. Fortunately, there is a free conversion kit for the older SNA600. We will be sending the kit out out at the end of this week. Send me your name and shipping address. larryf@lectrosonics.com

"Conversion kit" is a little fancy since it consists of a surface mount cap and some simple directions. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics