Interesting finds from eBay

Tom Visser

Here's another LM1 for sale, although this one doesn't come with a power supply nor does it take 12VDC (without modification).

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soundcraft-Lm1-Production-Sound-Mixer-Cooper-Sonosax-Audio-Developments-PSC-/111238132819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e64f3453

These can be powered by either 12 D-Cell batteries or external 8-30v D.C. via the 4-pin XLR on the rear.  No modification necessary -- it's how they are designed.

They are very good quality units.  If they're similar to its successor, GP-1 (and I'm guessing they are), the balanced mic preamps use discrete components (vs op-amps), the type of topology you're more likely to find in high end dedicated preamps.  Both the noise and crosstalk are extremely low and they have a sizable amount of headroom.  The limiters on the outputs (switchable on or off), however, were designed more for feeding a tape recorder and have limiting characteristics that work best with analog tape.  A modification to the limiters makes them useful in our world though they're not as good as with some newer units.  I'd say that's about the only thing that's not up to top standards as we use analog today.  The LM-1 and GP-1 are excellent units.

Soundcraft boards are some of the easiest to maintain and keep running for years, or modify for souped up performance.  John, what's the difference between the LM and GP lineup?

I just wish there was some way to incorporate this eBay replica into my workflow somehow...

$T2eC16NHJGoE9nuQeSkFBRUWeYmB9g~~60_57.J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM-5-DSKY-DISPLAY-KEYBOARD-APOLLO-GUIDANCE-COMPUTER-AGC-MODEL-ART-CRAFT-KIT-1-1-/230953345011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c5e45ff3

That was an awesome deal for the Soundcraft board. 

The biggest differences between the LM-1 and the GP-1 can be seen if you compare some of the controls on the modules.  The GP-1 made the channel gain (mic or line) a continuous control as opposed to 5dB steps as on the LM-1.  Also, the GP-1 has individual gain controls for the AUX2 send.  One of the biggest differences for how I work is that the GP-1 gives me two (count 'em 2!) boom op headphone feeds, each with its own talkback button.  The expanded monitoring is really nice. 

One of the biggest drawbacks for the way we work today is the lack of channel ISO sends.  I've made a lot of modifications (including ISO channel outs) to my GP-1 and it's serving me really well.  I managed to locate a GP-1 service manual with all of the schematics and wiring diagrams so that's been a big help in making the modifications.

It has 100mm P&G faders which are nice and smooth and can be disassembled and cleaned when necessary.  I've modified the output limiters so they're better suited to feeding digital equipment.  They're still not great but I try to stay out of the limiting range and they're just there for an added measure of safety. 

The user guides for both models are available on the Soundcraft web site.

I won the eBay auction for the LM1. I was pretty surprised at how low I got it for. I've been in communication with Soundcraft in the USA regarding the stepped gain on the preamps. Apparently those parts are not made anymore and the tech rep I've been emailing has just finished replacing those with variable potentiometers and I'm guessing a few other parts on a LM1 recently. In fact he's sending me the parts and instructions to replace at no charge. Thank you Soundcraft! I will also add direct outs to a db25.

Hi Frank,

Here's some info from a senior service tech at Soundcraft

Hi Graham , The LM1 is designed to run on a wide voltage range since it has a DC to DC converter circuit build inside to power its internal voltage requirements .

"External voltage source can be 8-30V DC , so no conversion necessary .

Make sure you supply power to the correct pins on the 4 pin XLR connector. See schematics and user guide.

OR regular D cell batteries inside the mixer . ( 12 or 16 depending what size LM1 you have . )

OR rechargeable D cell batteries which can be charged with the PPS 100 or PPS 110 PSU .

This PSU is specific for the LM1 and will supply 28V DC to run the mixer and charge the rechargeable batteries if used ."

I believe pins 3 and 4 carry the 28v for power as well as charging the rechargeable batteries from the power supply. I don't plan putting batteries inside and will just run it from the cart power.

Sorry, being a little selfish and posting my own auction on here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121247538688

Sennheiser 300IEM (pre-G2).

If you into honest to goodness auctions, unlike the Amazon-store-like eBay that we have today, I've been going through the closets and clearing odds and ends out!  Spring cleaning has come early to my household.

$_57.JPG

• 11 months later...