744t - Still worth investing in?

Korey Pereira

I am very familiar with this piece.  Used it all through college and now rent if for gigs where a 4-track recorder with TC is needed.  My big question is - should I invest in one now (used, they are finally coming into my price range), or is it on the way out of fashion?  Thanks in advance for the input!

If you really dig into the manual and learn all the many many things the 744T will do, then it would be a great choice I think, as opposed to the other low-cost recorders mentioned.  It is a surprisingly deep machine.  For the huge majority of small sound jobs out there the chief diff between it and the later recorders is number of tracks.  If you need that track count then you have to go upscale.  If like a lot of us you don't then it might be a good fit for you--esp since there are so many well-maintained units avail used these days.  Feel free to PM me is you want more info.

philp

It depends on your type of work.... PERIOD....   It is a great machine.... Very dependable... I STILL know mixers who mix 4 or 5 mics onto one mix track as a normal way of doing their job...  For many jobs, 4 tracks is enough... and as you know, many times just one or two.

As a machine to keep down the road as a backup or as a machine to roll as a backup to another also recording, a great choice..

If you can find one at a nice price, you cant go wrong... It depends on YOUR jobs as has been said.... Only you know... 

I would personally go the other way and say take a pass; spend the money on something that will be more versatile going forward. The main problem is that for any kind of ENG/bag shoot, you really need to stick a mixer in front of it to make it usable, IMO. And if you're doing more "cart" mixing, sooner then later there will be the expectation that you need more tracks. If the used price was in the $2500 range, I'd probably just buy a MAXX and have a new unit with warranty coverage and a lot more functionality (and upgradability). That said, the 664 and Nomad Lite are only a couple grand more and offer a lot more function and upgradability, or perhaps a used 788 and CL8?

You're very lucky to be starting at a time like this. There's so many great and reasonably priced options in the multi-track marketplace, you really can have your cake and eat it too.

E.

744 is a great machine for lightweight bag use. Think documentary: MS boom mic, 2 wireless going to the line inputs.

The 788 is so much more power hungry. You can run a 744 on a larger on-board battery for a whole day.

In feature/episodic, clients will typically expect "mix + isos", and increasingly they demand that everybody be wired. That's easily more than four tracks then, and the real-time mixing feature of the 788/CL-8 combo makes it a better suited tool that still fits into a bag nicely.

IMO, if you have the work to justify the purchase, buy one. But the (pre-owned) price seems to be dropping as new gear is released. Four tracks is also limiting,  the last four projects I've worked on, about 40% of the scenes required five or more mics.

If your doing low budget indy productions, the client will likely not want to pay for it anyway and choose some nit-wit with a H4n.. who likely has equally cheap mics and such. $3000+ ( w/ batteries, cables, ect.) is a lot of money to have tied up in something that's not used.

As I mentioned--dig into the 744 manual, esp the internal signal routing, separate for tracks, analog output, digital output and monitor output, which allows you to mix the 4 inputs a number of different ways.  A few accessories, like outboard pot attenuators for inputs 3/4 and a cheapo outboard DAC for the digital outputs, some in-line trafos on the line outs to feed a camera etc help a lot.  If you have the money and interest to go new then do it by all means.  If you have a limited budget and are doing the usual run of smallish jobs then a good used 744 is worth considering.  As has been said, many mixers, including myself, who have bought more modern machines hold on to their 744s for backup, as a 2nd unit, to use as a master clock and TC generator etc etc--very useful box.

philp

I had Steven's setup (702T w/442) and made the jump to the Maxx. For the price ($2800 with additional recording channels), size, and battery consumption, I think I made the right choice. I've used 744's and they are great, but the added features of the Maxx (lower battery use, NeverClip, digital routing, backup w/MARF, etc) won me over, as I'd be spending about the same for either product.

I've been very happy with the purchase. For what I do (indie and low-budget reality) I usually only use 1-3 tracks. I'll buy a Nomad when the work needs it (and will pay for it).

The routing possibilities are one of the least understood things about the 744 generally.  I encourage you to read the manual and think creatively.  It is a far deeper machine than a 702--I have had both.  I also very much like the idea of being able to record to more than one media (ie card), lately I've found it very convenient to be able to record to 3 at once.  Are you sure about the battery drain of each recorder?  In any case, I think you can find a used 744 cheaper than $2800 these days if you look.  The ability of the 7XX machines to work together on CLink is also a great thing, if you are generally in the 4-and-under track range but need more tracks for just one day or setup.

philp

I would personally go the other way and say take a pass; spend the money on something that will be more versatile going forward. The main problem is that for any kind of ENG/bag shoot, you really need to stick a mixer in front of it to make it usable, IMO. And if you're doing more "cart" mixing, sooner then later there will be the expectation that you need more tracks. If the used price was in the $2500 range, I'd probably just buy a MAXX and have a new unit with warranty coverage and a lot more functionality (and upgradability). That said, the 664 and Nomad Lite are only a couple grand more and offer a lot more function and upgradability, or perhaps a used 788 and CL8?

You're very lucky to be starting at a time like this. There's so many great and reasonably priced options in the multi-track marketplace, you really can have your cake and eat it too.

E.

+1 - Agreed.

Are you sure about the battery drain of each recorder?  In any case, I think you can find a used 744 cheaper than $2800 these days if you look. 

philp

As someone who used a 702T a lot, and a 744T a bit, mostly with NP-1's, I can say that the Maxx eats batteries slower from my own personal experience. I'm getting over a day in most instances with an older NP-1 with the Maxx. Also it's lighter and smaller, and the LCD screen is nice.

744T's can be found for cheaper than $2800 if you look, yes, but the average I still see is right around that price. For a used unit. You can purchase a new Maxx. Also, as previously mentioned, you'd probably want a mixer in front of it (442, also adding to weight and power consumption) and that's an extra $1k if found cheap.

But again, it's up to personal preference. Really on either purchase you can't go wrong.

If OP was in LA I'd let him try out my Maxx to get some hands-on action with it. Get grabby! I've been lending or showing it to some other mixers, and the offer stands to anyone in LA that wants to come and check it out if they're thinking about buying one. You just have to come to the Valley. Or MOS (also in the valley).

As someone who used a 702T a lot, and a 744T a bit, mostly with NP-1's, I can say that the Maxx eats batteries slower from my own personal experience. I'm getting over a day in most instances with an older NP-1 with the Maxx. Also it's lighter and smaller, and the LCD screen is nice.

744T's can be found for cheaper than $2800 if you look, yes, but the average I still see is right around that price. For a used unit. You can purchase a new Maxx. Also, as previously mentioned, you'd probably want a mixer in front of it (442, also adding to weight and power consumption) and that's an extra $1k if found cheap.

But again, it's up to personal preference. Really on either purchase you can't go wrong.

If OP was in LA I'd let him try out my Maxx to get some hands-on action with it. Get grabby! I've been lending or showing it to some other mixers, and the offer stands to anyone in LA that wants to come and check it out if they're thinking about buying one. You just have to come to the Valley. Or MOS (also in the valley).

I agree with you Nick. And mighty nice offer you are making there!

I get most of a day on a 744 on a single L mount Sony F750 battery, usually two will more than cover a very long day.  What else were you powering with that NP1?  And how old were they anyhow?!   Re Weight--the Maxx as listed at  3lbs.  A 744T is 2.6 lbs.  (And a 702 is even lighter, right?).   You don't need a big mixer in front of the 744 for smaller jobs anyhow, esp if you read the manuals and get to understand how it works.   I'm all for everyone getting the tools they want but make sure of your facts, OK?

philp

I agree, the 744T is a very reliable and great sounding piece of gear. It's tried and tested for years.

In addition to the many things mentioned, I also prefer the file management of it and the fact that you can record to three media. At the end of the day you just hand in you card and be done with it. No mirroring, or whatever. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years now and it has never ever lost a file. It froze once (just a few days after purchase), but still no data lost. Today I need more tracks so I have a 788T now, but I'll hang on to the 744T as backup, car stuff and cascading, as you can link it with other 744s and 788s as well.

For ch 3&4 I got a 302 which is a very useful piece of gear on its own or with a 744.

I agree, the 744T is a very reliable and great sounding piece of gear. It's tried and tested for years.

In addition to the many things mentioned, I also prefer the file management of it and the fact that you can record to three media. At the end of the day you just hand in you card and be done with it. No mirroring, or whatever. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years now and it has never ever lost a file. It froze once (just a few days after purchase), but still no data lost. Today I need more tracks so I have a 788T now, but I'll hang on to the 744T as backup, car stuff and cascading, as you can link it with other 744s and 788s as well.

For ch 3&4 I got a 302 which is a very useful piece of gear on its own or with a 744.

Exact same case here.