744t - Still worth investing in?

Korey Pereira

After many years of using the 744 I've started using the keyboard feature on almost every job: set it down during a break, plug in the keyboard, add notes to various files, they get saved with the metadata (usually on the card copies) and then they pop up in Wave Agent at the end of the day.  Unplug the keyboard and clip back into the harness.  Way faster than doing all the "homework" later in Wave Agent.  

philp

Nick, Thanks for the offer - If I were in LA I would LOVE to get my hands on a MAXX.  I have always used a Sound Devices and agree with Philip that the 744t is very intuitive once you spend some time with it.  Also, I will have to try using the 744T with a Keyboard - I guess I knew you could do that, but would actually be really helpful.  I wish there was a Zaxcom Dealer in Austin (or Texas for that matter).

For me personally, I am going to continue renting a 744t for the next few gigs lined up and then will be deciding between a 744t and a MAXX (6ch rec option) - I think it will ultimately come down to which I can get a better deal on.

Thanks to everyone for the great input!  I have been using the site passively for years to find answers to most of my questions.  Decided it was time to start participating!

S

Thanks for the responses! As much as I would love to hold out for a 664, 788t or Nomad, I like the idea of getting a 744t now and having as a back-up down the road. I was considering an R4-Pro or 702t, but feel it is worth the jump to go with the 744t.

Thanks for the responses! As much as I would love to hold out for a 664, 788t or Nomad, I like the idea of getting a 744t now and having as a back-up down the road. I was considering an R4-Pro or 702t, but feel it is worth the jump to go with the 744t.

Surely a choice between a 702T or a 744 is a no brainer! The 744 wins hands down all the time.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Malcom - very much agreed when price is not a factor.

I was more considering the 702T/R4Pro as a more affordable option to "get it now" vs. continuing to rent a 744T.  I have since decided to hold out for a few more gigs and push my budget into the range of a 744T/MAXX in the near future vs. continuing to rent long term and save for a 664/Nomad/788t.

As discussed earlier, this will give me a professional 4/6 track option w/ timecode that I will be able to use for most gigs, which will save on rental.  If I start doing work that regularly calls for more than 4/6 tracks, I will then have a solid backup / lightweight kit when I do go for someting with a higher track count.  I could also consider renting a second 744t (readily available in Austin) and using CLink in the meantime.

However, most of what I do now  is only 3-4 channels...

For me personally, I am going to continue renting a 744t for the next few gigs lined up and then will be deciding between a 744t and a MAXX (6ch rec option) - I think it will ultimately come down to which I can get a better deal on.

The 744t is a great machine, and I loved mine during the years I owned one. But bear in mind that it is not a mixer per se -- it's a recorder that can record on up to 4 tracks. The 788 is actually a mixer (as is the 556 and the 664), and those will do a mix track and record isos. The Nomad will also do that. I think the 744 is more useful as a secondary machine, or in a situation where you specifically need up to 4 separate tracks and not a mix per se. Otherwise, you'd need an outboard mixer of some kind to create a mono mix. 

I think the 744 could be redesigned to essentially be a "small 788" that would allow routing the channels to provide for mixing... but I can't say if Sound Devices is interested in doing that, vs. pursuing a completely new direction in recorders. 

I have a 4ch mixer I am planning to use if I do go with the 744t, but agreed - it would be nice to have 4 isos + mix, which is what I see as the big benefit of going for the maxx.  Perhaps I will hold out long enough to find a used Nomad Lite as that being a more long term solution.

I also have to say that seeing this shot of Simon B's minirackcart makes me want a Nomad even more - I forgot you can use that with a Mix8.....

post-346-0-83423100-1349079009.jpg

The SD 744T is an excellent and sturdy recorder. Together with a 302 mixer it worked for me over years and can do its job for several years more.

On the other hand calculating an investment into this recorder in relation of the price per channel, the 744T costs twice of a 788T which has much more features. 

Meanwhile I would invest in a 788T instead of its old brother ...this makes the 744T not very attractive even you buy a used machine. (Have my 788T/CL8 for 2 yrs now.)

Zaxcom has now a good and more 'modern' alternative to the 744. Anyway - regarding reliability and customer support I would give SoundDevices my preference over Zaxcom.

The SD 744T is an excellent and sturdy recorder. Together with a 302 mixer it worked for me over years and can do its job for several years more.

On the other hand calculating an investment into this recorder in relation of the price per channel, the 744T costs twice of a 788T which has much more features. 

Meanwhile I would invest in a 788T instead of its old brother ...this makes the 744T not very attractive even you buy a used machine. (Have my 788T/CL8 for 2 yrs now.)

Zaxcom has now a good and more 'modern' alternative to the 744. Anyway - regarding reliability and customer support I would give SoundDevices my preference over Zaxcom.

That's a very strange way to calc the cost of a recorder, right?   And in any case there is really no need to buy a new 744--there are lots of used ones around in good shape.  If one has the $ and need for more than 4 chan, then why consider a 744 anyhow?

philp

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...