Nomad & Ambient 301 Slate - Switches 8-9-10-11

PTA

To all those out there who have an Ambient 301 Slate, what exactly do switches 8, 9, 10 and 11 control. I get that it effects how the timecode is displayed on the slate, but I don't get what exactly the manual is describing by the setting of switches 9, 19, and 11. Can anyone shed some light?

Follow up... I'm noticing that when my Ambient slate is jammed to my Nomad, with all these switches (8-11 up or off) that nomad lags by a frame when a snap a photo of the two. I'm not sure if Nomad's display lags by a tiny bit or if the Ambient is fast a bit. When I switch 8 down, the displays seem to be together.

Does anyone else that works with these two together have any knowledge of this?

The switches are for lag for lag or advance of the tc. I used to use that function to align ambient and denecke slates. Way back. When deneckes had a 1 frame lag. Now of course they do not.

So how should it be set to show no lag? If the switches 9,10, and 11 are all up, will it display accurately?

Hi Palmer,

received your message today morning at five past midnight, maybe it was delayed somewhere...

Yes, ... the user interface of the ACD 301... :) Nobody can be blamed for not understanding that! It is definitely mind buggling. I have to admit that our software engineer designed that interface 8 years ago so the logic follows binary encoding... (So, if you can easily see pictures when you are looking at the Matrix, it all would be very obvious...)

Dip switch 8 determins advance or delay.

9, 10 and 11 are for the frame amount the tc display should be ahead or delayed.

9 always counts for one frame, 10 always for two and 11 always for four frames.  The combination of these numbers add up to the total amount of frames you wish to enter.

Thus if you want to delay your display 1 frame: Switch 8 should be off, 9 on

Delay three frames: again 8 off for delay, 9 on for 1 frame and 10 on for 2 frames so the one frame and the two frames add up to 3 frames

Five frames ahead:8 on for ahead, 9 on for 1 frame, 11 on for 4 frames and these again add up in 5 frames.

Manual%20Dipswitch%208-11.png

We are very proud about the quality of the slate and that there still are a lot slates in constant use after 8 years without servicing BUT the user interface is something we rightfully got complains about and it was one of the main reasons we came up with the new Lockit Slate.

2nd problem:

The Nomad has a LC Display which always have offsets when they aren't compensated by software. I must admit I never compared the Nomad display to the slate , only with products of competitors. But we will definitely check that with our Nomad and come back to you. But what I pretty surely can say is that comparing the menu screen of a recorder or a camera with the slate is never a trustworthy reference.

Another reason could be that we are displaying the TC which is produced right now. (I guess that's the reason because Glenn knows of course about LCD technology...) A lot of cameras and recorders display the TC frame after generation. So if you delay your ACD301 by 1 frame you should probably be fine.

Cheers

Timo

P.S. Maybe I should add that we thought that displaying the tc which is generated right now is the best way to do it, since you will see the TC which is corresponding to the tc stored in the material... If only the rest of the world would know that we are right, not them... ;) I think now you can imagine that this discussion comes up internally everytime somebody mentions our slate... :)

P.P.S. We decided today to stick with that idea for our new slate, too... but now with a OLED display and a switch to confortable adjust it when needed.

P.S. Maybe I should add that we thought that displaying the tc which is generated right now is the best way to do it, since you will see the TC which is corresponding to the tc stored in the material... If only the rest of the world would know that we are right, not them... ;) I think now you can imagine that this discussion comes up internally everytime somebody mentions our slate... :)

P.P.S. We decided today to stick with that idea for our new slate, too... but now with a OLED display and a switch to confortable adjust it when needed.

What is the weight with batteries of the new slate? That is my only gripe about the 301, it is pretty darn heavy for its size, especially when you are toting it in the bag.