Micron Explorer 100 radio mic. Good enough for broadcast?

simon forbes

I've heard it said that the Micron Explorer radios are indistinguishable from mics in the top flight (lectros, 2040s zaxcoms etc) but lack many of the broadcast mic features (signal sweep, bass cut etc) 

Has anyone tried them? I'm looking to get five radios and the saving on the explorers would be significant but only if the sound is up to broadcast standards.

Thanks

Simon Forbes

" Has anyone tried them? "

yes, lots of folks...

" sound is up to broadcast standards. "

which specific standards ?

you should give them a listen... how do they sound ?  ... to you??

maybe compare them to the popular Sennheiser Evolution Series...

" but only if "

that is difficult to say...

how do they suit your needs ??

I've heard it said that the Micron Explorer radios are indistinguishable from mics in the top flight (lectros, 2040s zaxcoms etc) but lack many of the broadcast mic features (signal sweep, bass cut etc) 

Has anyone tried them? I'm looking to get five radios and the saving on the explorers would be significant but only if the sound is up to broadcast standards.

Micron Explorers are well made budget system, considerably cheaper than their top of the range 700 series. They sound OK and are used widely. All systems sound different: I used to use 2040s which have a very natural sound. I am currently using Lectros that have more presence. I used Micron 100 and 500 series back in the 80s and 90s. There is going to be some difference between Explorer and 700. Listen and decide if you can live with it and match your radios with your boom(s). As you are in the UK I am assuming that you will be using ch38 (plus 39 and 40) so you don't have to worry bout frequency issues - for now. What I would say is try out 5 together and check that 5 are going to work together. Anecdotally, the 700 series is very good with large numbers of channels whereas the Explorer is good for 2 or 3 in a block: that might well be an area that suffers with the cost saving. Also, look at the physical size: Explorers are a bit long in the tooth and the size of the units indicate this. 

If I were you, I would look seriously at an Audio Ltd En2 system which is many years more advanced than the Explorer: 5 x Tx, 3 x CX2-P receivers and a PSC Six Pack rack. That way you will have frequency agility, true diversity, frequency scanning and the ability to use a couple of decent antennae for the 5 channels at a fraction of the price of a 2040 or Micron 700 system. Audio Wireless are also worth a look but are single channel receivers and not slot mountable - you would have to sort out a different ADA system. Remember that dealers such as Everything Audio, Southern Sound Kit, Soundkit (Cardiff) etc will compete on price. 

Tim

Sound on the Microns is ok. BUT apart from the disadvantages you stated, they are EXTREMELY power-hungry, and have just 16 fixed frequencies. And they aren't exactly that cheap, just cheaper than 2040/Lectro/Zax.

I'd definitely consider Audio Ltd. En2 as well. Read the "En2 - Opinions" thread and you'll know why. Oh, btw, they make a good plug-on TX now, too.

Sound on the Microns is ok. BUT apart from the disadvantages you stated, they are EXTREMELY power-hungry, and have just 16 fixed frequencies. And they aren't exactly that cheap, just cheaper than 2040/Lectro/Zax.

I'd definitely consider Audio Ltd. En2 as well. Read the "En2 - Opinions" thread and you'll know why. Oh, btw, they make a good plug-on TX now, too.

That's odd I've never found my Explorers in the least bit power hungry let alone EXTREMELY!

The 9v batteries they use last just as long in Explorers as any others I've used, and the battery compartment is the best design I've come across.

Are you talking about transmitters or receivers or both?

I used 4 micron explorers and 4 2040's on Friday for sky arts - so yes definitely good enough for broadcast. The explorers which are essentially the same as the 700 series, sound, range and immunity from interference wise( I have been reliably informed by the manufacturer). They outperform the 2040's in range and interference immunity ( all receivers being close to a 788t which is not great around channel 38). The explorers are not power hungry I didn't do one battery change in around 7 hours using newish ipower pp3's on both the explorers and the 2040's. We had to use the 2040's in a rk6 rack to get the same performance with regard to range and interference as the microns with whips. The sound on the 2040's is very good and works well with a wider range of mic's. Sanken cos 11's def sound better but I generally use dpa lavaliers (4071-4060-4061) which I find sound better in the microns - you have to listen to find out what you prefer. The restriction with microns 100 explorers is the 16 channels but you can order custom sets. So if buying in the uk I would ask for 9 non intermod frequencies in channel 38. I own 700 series(100 frequencies) and I get 9 non intermods in channel 38. I can't comment on the en2's because I haven't used them but they look good on paper (40mhz ) they are more expensive in the UK. As always test them all then make your decision, be great if you could test back to back.

Yes I've found my Explorers very good as well, the only thing slight thing I'm not so keen on is the lack of squelch so if the TX is off they're susceptible to outputting a high level of shash, not so good when used as a camera hop (which I did for years until I went Wisycom) but not a major.

Oh and also they don't like too many volts when powered externally so you have to be careful it's regulated and not direct from a feshly charged NP1 Lithium battery for example.

There's no doubt they're good enough for broadcast, the amount of stuff shot by self shooters using Sennheiser G3s shows that the standards are pretty low!

Whether they're good enough for you to be happy using them is the real question. The Explorers sound fine, no more than that, but I find the usability of them pretty poor, Lectro is my preferred choice as the interface on both RX and TX is so good, together with excellent audio quality. They are obviously more expensive though, but they'll last you a long time, the Explorers look pretty old and tired now, they'll be relics in a few years. 

That's odd I've never found my Explorers in the least bit power hungry let alone EXTREMELY!

The 9v batteries they use last just as long in Explorers as any others I've used, and the battery compartment is the best design I've come across.

Are you talking about transmitters or receivers or both?

Talking about transmitters mainly, as I don't really have comparison RX-wise.

I've had to change batteries on the Microns after less than 4 hrs - the same brand lasting more than 10 hrs in a 2020. These were alkaline, though, so it might be different with rechargeables.

6/7 Hours with rechargeable Soshine in my microns expl. Tx.

Same here, have always run the rx off an np1 so can't comment on 9v battery life with it....

A French sound recordist has made comparative audio examples of the 'key test' on their website with all the different manufacturers radio systems which is worth a listen as it'll give you some idea of audio quality. I don't have the website address to hand so a search on the forum would be needed to find it.

I find audio quality to be fairly good, the frequency response is suited to the voice which seems to have more body and depth than cheaper systems and a little more clarity in the upper frequencies, but it so subjective, I would try them for yourself. I have worked with other analogue systems, lectro and audio ltd, I think they are slightly better sounding systems but that's also reflected in the price of them, for the money I think the microns are good value, I seem to remember them being half the price of audio ltd, lectro ... Usability for me is fine, there are only simple controls on them and no squelch as previously mentioned, but they are built well and simple to use, range is good too.

I've been using Micron Explorer 100s for a couple of years now. I own three sets.

Best thing I can say is.. they do the job. Sound quality is good, as is the range which is up there among the best. We were using 6 explorer 100s in a castle with very thick walls over the summer and got through the shoot unscathed. G3 IEMs would drop out as soon as you moved into the next room, but the radio's worked fine through a few rooms (Shure distro, Shure powered shark fins). Testing with the whips it was not far off performance wise either.

What I don't like too much: 

- Transmitters are on the big side which makes hiding them hard. If you buy a new set now though you can get the small TX for only a slightly higher price. Worth it i'd say. Annoyingly there is no trade in option for the TX.

- There is no battery indicator. IPower rechargeables last about 6-7 hours in the TXs, 4-5 in the RXs if they are not powered externally. Generally a change at lunchtime is the way to go, then one towards the end of the day in each unit to be safe.

- The lack of squelch as pointed out earlier is annoying. Talent unplug's the TX to step off set and if you are caught off guard then it's lots of loud garbage you hear.

• 2 years later...

I recently got two of this system and I am now in search for Lav mics. I found two versions of Sanken Cos 11d's, with normal sensitivity and with attenuation, both build for Micron with 6 pin Lemo´s. Anyone knows what is more suitable choise for explorer 100 system?

• 4 years later...

Late to this Party but on the extreme budget drama side I've picked up second hand 700 series and explorer units for less than channel70 G2s. Frequencies are the biggest problem, but you can squeeze 4 out of CH70 and the 700s (the ones I picked up) have legal licensed frequencies on CH69.

They are pretty much the same size as sennheiser evolutions - tiny bit thinner and any and all adjustments are performed with a small screwdriver. I actually prefer this - should you need to make a level adjustment you can leave the pack in the belt to do it - that said there's a  Decent auto level, analogue limiters, highpass filter on the 700 series, more robust connections to microphone, sma antennas, and the range is great - as in not missing a step where 100 series g3s are cutting out all over the place. 

Got 3 with diversity receivers and one without but doesn't actually make a difference in the use they get with me. Unplug the TXs while production is faffing around and Li ion rechargables can last all day.

Negative is 6 Pin Lemos are expensive and fiddly to wire - but they don't break - but If you can't solder, this isn't the system for you as buying ready made leads would be pretty expensive. Sets are re-tunable and customer service (yes I had a bunch of daft questions) great. And fairly local too.  

Edit: Should say they now have digital displays and smaller txs and other things but I don't do new stuff..

Edit2: That said - all ready made non 3.5mm leads are expensive.

Yes I've picked up a couple of Microns to replace my G3's and they are a definite upgrade, a fuller sound and a good limiter. Also Tanky at the Micron mothership is a great help. Of course this is all very 1980s-90s tech but it still works well and it the field that I'm interested in, no budget small crew documentary work, it's unparalleled bang for your buck kit.