Red Epic w/ SD664 - Ch's 1 & 2 Reversed (temporarily)

TomBoisseau

I had something odd happen this weekend.

We were shooting multiple days with an Epic. I used a "quick disconnect" fan newly built by Remote Audio to send audio to the Epic. All went well the first day. The second day when I checked return audio from the Epic, channels 1 and 2 were reversed. I double checked all my connections (I was using the 10p Hirose on the 664) and confirmed that everything was correct.

We had to go, so we went ahead and recorded a couple takes. Then, at least I believe, they shut the Epic down and restarted it. Immediately the channel issue corrected itself!

Now I suppose it could have been a glitch with the 664, or perhaps I accidentally hit a front panel short cut on the 664, but I don't think there is any short cut that would do such a thing.

Has anyone here experienced this problem, and do you have any idea what the cause might be?

Tom

I don't think I have an explanation for why this would happen, nor has it ever happened to me. However, if the issue was fixed once the Epic was restarted, perhaps it was an issue with the Epic, and not your 664? That would be my intuition anyway.

Agreed. That was my conclusion as well. However, I know I was also doing a number of front panel short cuts on my 664 at this same time, and I don't always remember them correctly. So it is possible I did something silly.

I also asked the "owner/operator" of the Epic if he had ever experienced this before and he said no.

Tom

Agreed. That was my conclusion as well. However, I know I was also doing a number of front panel short cuts on my 664 at this same time, and I don't always remember them correctly. So it is possible I did something silly.

I also asked the "owner/operator" of the Epic if he had ever experienced this before and he said no.

Tom

It just seems mysterious to me that a restart on the EPIC fixed the issue. If it was something with your 664, then the Epic restarting would've done nothing to the signal that was being generated from your 664. Thus, it seems more likely to me that it would be something happening on the receiving end if restarting that device was the solution.

Also, unless this was in a recent software update, I know not of any front panel shortcuts that will flip the L and R outputs in the 664. And after skimming through the manual, I couldn't see one either. So I'd eliminate that from the list of possible causes.

It just seems mysterious to me that a restart on the EPIC fixed the issue. If it was something with your 664, then the Epic restarting would've done nothing to the signal that was being generated from your 664. Thus, it seems more likely to me that it would be something happening on the receiving end if restarting that device was the solution.

Also, unless this was in a recent software update, I know not of any front panel shortcuts that will flip the L and R outputs in the 664. And after skimming through the manual, I couldn't see one either. So I'd eliminate that from the list of possible causes.

Thanks Jose'.

I appreciate your input.

Tom

Recently I was cabled to an Epic and somehere during the day, I stopped hearing one of the two channels, and confirmed the Epic was only getting one channel from the 10 pin connection on my 442. I reversed the fan-out cables on the Epic a few times, threw tone, restarted the Epic, etc., and it sure seemed that one side of my fan-out was bad (I had just bought it used, so thought it was possible).

When I took it to LSC, all was well, its worked fine since then, and I think now it was just the Epic being Epic ?

As the labels say, discontinue use if Red-ness occurs.

There's no logical answer with a Red 's audio. Most will just plain not use it.. for anything other than a reference/scratch track. This goes for all models. I have not had the (dis) pleasure of working with the new Epic 'Dragon' yet. I wouldn't expect the audio section to be any better, historically, the audio seems to get worse with every new model.

"It just seems mysterious to me that a restart on the EPIC fixed the issue

That's why RED uses the name 'MYSTERIUM' 

Another RED moment.