MS upgrade for DPA 4017

sinewave

Hi!

I am looking for an elegant solution to upgrade my super cardioid microphone into MS setup. I already have DPA 4017 B with Rycote windshield. Here, where I live, there is no way to test before buy, so I am asking you for some recommendations. For now I've found this: http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/microphones/emesser.html

Anyone can tell me how good it is?

Are there any similar solutions? 

Thank you very much!

Well, there is that new Kortwich thing, but there are few to no user reports (is it even out yet?)

You could theoretically put any fig8 mic on there, such as the other Schoeps 8 (Colette) or one from Neumann, or whoever else. They tend to be less expensive than the Schoeps CCM8 (which is arguably the best 8), but also a lot less comfortable. Rycote make adapters to put the mics into one of their Zepps, but for this the standard size may get a bit small.

Then again, the Schoeps Colette 8 as well as the Neumann 8 are parts of modular systems and you can use them with other capsules, too

There is no DPA 8 as far as I know, so using one from another manufacturer would be the OPs only choice.

OTOH Ambient's Emesser was designed with this in my mind. They don't make other mics (except underwater). Even mics from one manufacturer but from different series may not match. So I'd always recommend trying them out first, but apparently in this case that's not possible

What are people's opinions on mixing brands of microphone in a M/S setup. I was always under the impression that keeping within one brand/series was a "best practice", though I have pretty limited experience in M/S recording.

E.

Oh you can mix and match alright, but there is no doubt that a Sennheiser pair or a Schoeps pair has a sweeter,  more coherent sound and image. I have tried both methods.

Thanks for your opinions. I think I will stick to Ambient's emesser... It is small and light enough to fit in my Rycote zeppelin. And it is shipped with all cablings, fittings, etc. My only concern are existing lyras which support DPA 4017, maybe I will need to switch to stiffer ones. And, of course, the price is acceptable for me.

• 1 month later...

An update... :)

I received the ATE 208 set today and everything in the box looks much better crafted than it may seem looking at the Ambient's website. I will need to adjust the included cable length in order to avoid contact between cable and Rycote's basket. And the included mic holder (Rycote, too) is too big for my setup, it makes contact with the upper part of basket interior. I think that I will cut off unneccecary horns from it (see the picture). Sound wise, I don't know yet, I just checked if everything works... I hope I will fix those minor contact issues, try the setup on tommorrow's gig and come back with some good MS recordings.

post-7973-0-30650800-1384273616_thumb.jp

I think that I will cut off unneccecary horns from it>

they are not unnecessary - really...

hmmm... maybe your windshield is too small, and the lesser airspace inside the worser it will be...

Yes, I think that's true. Rycote agrees, too, by the way. If the shield is too small, I have found that the mic overloads much easier. I have a theory on that, but I won't share it (see another thread). It may also be exclusively my experience, of course

Yes, I think that's true. Rycote agrees, too, by the way. If the shield is too small, I have found that the mic overloads much easier. I have a theory on that, but I won't share it (see another thread). It may also be exclusively my experience, of course

I loved DPA Windpack, it had plenty of space inside + 1 additional mic slot.

I'm curious about the noise floor.

The Tonebenders podcast a couple months ago seemed to think that the emesser is noisy. When I spoke with Ambient at NAB, they said they had noise problems in the past but that they've sorted it out now.

If it sounds good, it's priced well and would be really nice for some of my setups. Looking forward to hearing more of your opinions about it as you get to know it better.

I'm curious about the noise floor.

The Tonebenders podcast a couple months ago seemed to think that the emesser is noisy. When I spoke with Ambient at NAB, they said they had noise problems in the past but that they've sorted it out now.

If it sounds good, it's priced well and would be really nice for some of my setups. Looking forward to hearing more of your opinions about it as you get to know it better.

Sure, Crussell, I will give you as much feedback as I can. For now, I am trying to solve windshield interior space problems. The gig I had today was a little bit chaotic sound wise, we shot some scenes on a boat with it's engine touring on high revs (the guy is collecting floating logs off the river's surface). And when the engine was off, there was a very noisy gas factory exhaust nearby. I didn't had an opportunity to capture some quiet atmosphere.

• 2 years later...