Beta test of AMJ rev A antenna. Need some guinea pigs.

LarryF

The two I received were used on a UM tx that was clipped to a boot top.  This was for a home improvement show so lots of action for three days.  I can verify that the new wire is more flexible and doesn't get a kink as easily if bent too far.  I appreciate the slightly shorter length with the pivot point being not as long.  They're working well so far.

The two I received were used on a UM tx that was clipped to a boot top.  This was for a home improvement show so lots of action for three days.  I can verify that the new wire is more flexible and doesn't get a kink as easily if bent too far.  I appreciate the slightly shorter length with the pivot point being not as long.  They're working well so far.

Thanks Bernie.

LEF

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using these antennae for about two weeks now and have had no issues!  I most appreciate the reduced length of the hinged post, both in the bag on my SR and especially on talent on the transmitter.  I can't say for sure whether I'm experiencing increased range but I can say that I'm still experiencing the same excellent range as usual! Thanks Larry!

I've been using these antennae for about two weeks now and have had no issues!  I most appreciate the reduced length of the hinged post, both in the bag on my SR and especially on talent on the transmitter.  I can't say for sure whether I'm experiencing increased range but I can say that I'm still experiencing the same excellent range as usual! Thanks Larry!

Thanks for the info. I am particularly curious about the talent's interaction with the swivel antenna. I can see pros and cons.

The range should be the same.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks for the info. I am particularly curious about the talent's interaction with the swivel antenna. I can see pros and cons.

The range should be the same.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

My two main talent put the tx in their boot so the configuration of the antenna makes it easier to get it placed and then get the pant leg over it all.  Since it pivots it moves with the leg instead of rubbing against it.  A good thing.

My two main talent put the tx in their boot so the configuration of the antenna makes it easier to get it placed and then get the pant leg over it all.  Since it pivots it moves with the leg instead of rubbing against it.  A good thing.

Hi Bernie,

Interesting. It always amazes me that the equipment gets used in ways that I would never suspect; even taking into consideration that it's going to amaze me.

Thanks,

Larry F

I've found the swivel antenna great for tricky hiding in tight costumes. Instead of having the antenna poke out through light fabric requiring it to be taped down to the skin. I've been able to swivel it to a good position so it sits in the costume better. The wardrobe girls loved it, it got a wow from them...:) which is always a good thing.

Here's a pic of the new antenna (left) compared to the older model. I've not had any issues with talent and the antenna, in fact the ability to configure the position opens up many options.  I can see how the hinged post could, in some positions, potentially cause discomfort (it hasn't happened yet) but I've always figured I would just swap it out for the standard whip.

post-741-0-67256500-1383539242_thumb.jpg

Jason, keep them as spares.

Actually, I've been using the current AMJ on about a third of the 28 radio mics we've been running on my current show. No issues at all. They've been getting a lot of punishment too, and holding up very well.

The news ones look good but honestly, there has been no adverse affects with the current version.

While there are good situations for using these antennas with transmitters, I would think if the metal joint touched skin directly, greater de-tuning would occur than with a fully insulated antenna against the skin

This is one of those "it depends". On wet or sweaty skin probably so. On dry skin not so much. The larger surface area of the post is probably more important than the lack of insulation. The post usually will be held away from the skin by the transmitter thickness.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Question is... What to do with my 3 x brand new older version AMJ Antenna that are prone to failure?

Hi Jason,

If these were purchased and not the freebies where we gave them away, we will replace broken ones. No fair using Vice-Grips on them.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I've found the swivel antenna great for tricky hiding in tight costumes. Instead of having the antenna poke out through light fabric requiring it to be taped down to the skin. I've been able to swivel it to a good position so it sits in the costume better. The wardrobe girls loved it, it got a wow from them... :) which is always a good thing.

Again, interesting use case.

Thanks for the input,

Larry F

Lectro

When they first came out I bought a couple for my SRa which was permanently in the slot of an XDCam, and within a few weeks one of the antenna's centre pin came loose and the antenna broke... Cameraman had a habit of holding the camera under his arm like a football.

When they first came out I bought a couple for my SRa which was permanently in the slot of an XDCam, and within a few weeks one of the antenna's centre pin came loose and the antenna broke... Cameraman had a habit of holding the camera under his arm like a football.

Hi Jason,

Email me at larryf@lectrosonics.com with address, blocks, and tale of woe <g> and we'll take care of you.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Larry

I have been road testing the new AMJ antennas on a chef programme since you sent them to me and I am pleased they are holding up well. I am using them along side the original ones I received with my Smdb transmitters. The originals are "curling" as the chefs sit on the transmitter etc but the new ones look new still.

Thumbs up from me for the new design!

Matt

Larry and crew..

Super happy with the new version of the amj's!

They are definitely more durable and seem to improve my SRb.

I work aloy with my bag laying down so being able adjust the antenna vertical is huge.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the input. We will start shipping the AMJa jointed antenna with all SRb's starting 1 December  2013. The various transmitters will still go out with the normall AMM straight wire antenna for the foreseeable future. The AMJa will be an accessory for those transmitters.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Larry

I have been road testing the new AMJ antennas on a chef programme since you sent them to me and I am pleased they are holding up well. I am using them along side the original ones I received with my Smdb transmitters. The originals are "curling" as the chefs sit on the transmitter etc but the new ones look new still.

Thumbs up from me for the new design!

Matt

Hi Matt,

The jointed antenna may curl over time though it probably will be bent less since the joint can act to remove some of the bending forces when it is crammed into a small place. At least if it does curl, the joint can counteract the direction of the curl somewhat.

Thanks for the input,

Larry F

Lectro