Making a TA5 for Maxx

Nick Campbell

So I have them in two strands per cable- just cut one off and go with the other?

Thanks for the quick help!

Not sure I completely understand.

Take the strands from one cable and cut off around 50 to 60 percent of the strands. Then do the same for the other cable. Then take the remaining strands from both cables and twist them together - so that you have a communal bundle of strands together.

Depending on what cable you are using you may have to cut a bit more of the stands to get it to fit on the ta5.

Just be careful because when you trim the strands you will have some short pieces that aren't combined into the communal bundle - those short strands can short one of the other pins. So just make sure you trim them back or use a small piece of heat shrink to protect them.

A long time ago I used star quad cable to build duplex boom cable --- seemed like a good idea since I could get both the mic cable and the monitor return in a very slim cable, didn't worry about the common ground (or the issue that showed up after I built the cable). I did have definite crosstalk problem between the mic line and monitor. It actually produced at certain levels and frequency, the equivalent of acoustic feedback (but entirely within the cable). I would be quite concerned, even with a short cable (and if sending timecode I would be really worried), the possibility of crosstalk.

i would expect, Jeff, that the difference in level between the two signals was the problem - mic and line on the same cable.

though probably hard to track down the culprit on a duplex cable where you are sending similar signals to and from your boom op, but your description of feedback does make sense.

i would expect 2 signals of similar level - both line or both mic, to exhibit less crosstalk. and shorter runs to have less crosstalk as well.

• 6 months later...