QRX100 -> Nomad Levels

vonblake

I have two QRX100's plugged into inputs 1-4 on my Nomad. I start with the trims on the Nomad set to 0.  When I send -20dbfs tone from the QRX100's, I have to adjust the Nomad +/- up to 3 db in order to get he inputs to hit -20. Is this a normal tolerance for getting the inputs calibrated?  Is there another trim that I should be adjusting on the QRX100 or Nomad? This might not be anything to worry about, but it just seems to me that the devices would be more closely callibrated to begin with.

Thanks in advance!

-KC

Have you done input calibration on your Nomad?

Also, have you considered using AES inputs instead of analog inputs from your QRX's to your Nomad? It would avoid having to go through DAC in your QRX and then through ADC in your Nomad again, effectively rendering the cleanest audio signal possible.

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is the input calibration different than the input adjustment at the top of each setup page? I did a search in the manual, but can't seem to find anything.

I'm thinking of ordering the AES cable today, but I'm not sure I'll have it in time for my shoot on Monday.

Thanks,

KC

Yes, the input trim calibration was part of a recent software update (v6.01) that would allow you to calibrate your inputs to be more 'aligned' (with a 1-2dB margin of error). It should be available to you in the most recent software version, and you can see how to do it in page 49 of the Nomad manual:

http://www.zaxcom.com/manuals/Zaxcom_Nomad_Manual_August_2013.pdf