Some trick or really quiet motorcycle?

sinewave

Hi,

while I was watching this beautiful documentary, one thing got my attention and distracted me in following the story. Skip to 21:43 to see what I am talking about. What do you think, how did he/she (sound mixer) get such good signal to noise ratio on that particular occasion? In my limited experience, I will expect unusable or, at best, poor sound in that situation.

Sounds like a lav mic to me. You can see it pulling on the shirt and creating a fold in the fabric. Also, notice that you don't hear the scooter/motorcycle as much until it gets in front of her.

What really helped this situation is that she obviously speaks loud and clear. This helps greatly in overcoming other sounds and noises.

Mark O.

If the shot requires the talent to be yelling, like if he had dialogue amongst a bunch of motorcycles, you can use a sonotrim lav (more noise canceling than a sanken cos 11), and turn down the transmitter very low.   The talent has to yell, but they would normally in an environment like that.    You'll be able to pick up their voice and the motorcycle revving will be below it.