Preference for Zaxcom, preference for Sound Devices, Choice is good

Mirror

Coming in very late to this:

It's great to have some choice and difference in equipment.

I've always used Sound Devices mixers and recorders - since their 442; it was way ahead in size and features offered compared to the competition. I went with the 744 because it fitted with the 442 and Deva struck me as being more suited to carts and I was not crazy about its ergonomics.

I started with Audio ltd radio mics and loved their sound but they didn't have the features of the Lectro 411 Rx that I came to need in my style of job.

As soon as the Zaxcom Stereoline was released I retired my dual Lectro cam link and still use it and will continue to do so until RF spectrum sales makes it unusable or it stops working.

At the top end all kit has its merits and really comes down to what you prefer or what suits your project best or what you can afford.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Zaxcom no longer services stereoline units, does anyone know someone that does? Are parts available from the mship?

We will service the stereo line but parts for it are very limited. If you need service give us a call to see if we can help.

Glenn

Sometimes support for electronic devices may stop due to no fault of the wireless/mixer/recorder manufacturer. Don't forget, these things use lots of electronic components, and sometimes the people that make those components stop making those components. So, if your wireless/mixer/recorder uses the AA8754BB^% chip made by Matsushita, and they stop making it, and they were the only people making it, and your wireless/mixer/recorder uses that chip and that chip goes bad...well..then you are out of luck. 

For those who feel the 788 menu is slow to scroll through, you can apply "breadcrumbs" next to those menu items you use the most or as many items as you want.

Then, once in the menu, use the fast forward or rewind buttons to "skip" to the next item with a breadcrumb next to it.

To apply the breadcrumb, simply hold the play button while the menu item you want is highlighted. A dot will appear to the right of the item.

You now have a very fast way of skipping to your favourite menu items.

You can also navigate all menus with the buttons in the front of the 788 if you dislike the scroll/push method.

Hold this helps

Peter Mega

Hey, that's a handy tip! I've depended on the shortcuts I program for my keyboard. I could see using both methods.

Josh

I have had bad experiences with sennheiser service. One of my mics is a paper weight after their warranty repair did not do a good job. Unfortunately by the time I realized it the repair was unsuccessful and the warranty was over..

I tried to reason over the phone but they were firm on not correcting their mistake.

I am not happy about it but will still buy sennheiser gear and will like the company as a whole.

Never had a bad experience with zaxcom service.

Well, geography might play a role in this, too, at least for repairs that have to be done in Germany.

But anyway, I didn't say their service was good (although my own experiences are, but time can be a problem), only that they have different capabilities - and I was defending Zax with this

After the QWERTY keyboard was developed, other keyboard prototypes following different key arrangements were developed, to test wether there was one that allowed for faster typing. After all the tests were done, it was realized that it didn't matter what key arrangement the keyboard had, the users could easily adapt to any and type as fast after doing so.

Moral of the story: these are tools, with common and unique feature sets that mostly cover the same needs as far as location sound goes. You work with whichever makes you efficient and happy (and it could be any).

I personally learned the craft on Sound Devices, but I am now a proud and happy Zaxcom Nomad owner. I had to relearn the way I did things, but now I believe that I am as fast on it as I was using the 7-series recorders. Both companies deliver amazing products, and we should be happy about the fact that we have options, and that through those options, these companies develop new and ground-breaking features to remain relevant and even competitive.

After the QWERTY keyboard was developed, other keyboard prototypes following different key arrangements were developed, to test wether there was one that allowed for faster typing. After all the tests were done, it was realized that it didn't matter what key arrangement the keyboard had, the users could easily adapt to any and type as fast after doing so.

Moral of the story: these are tools, with common and unique feature sets that mostly cover the same needs as far as location sound goes. You work with whichever makes you efficient and happy (and it could be any).

I personally learned the craft on Sound Devices, but I am now a proud and happy Zaxcom Nomad owner. I had to relearn the way I did things, but now I believe that I am as fast on it as I was using the 7-series recorders. Both companies deliver amazing products, and we should be happy about the fact that we have options, and that through those options, these companies develop new and ground-breaking features to remain relevant and even competitive.

Hi José,

As I remember, the qwerty keyboard was developed specifically to slow typists down so the mechanical monstrosities of the day didn't jam the keys. As I also remember, almost any arrangement of the keys, including alphabetic (abcdefg....) is faster. The Dvorak keyboard is supposedly much faster. Not that this changes your conclusions.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Hi José,

As I remember, the qwerty keyboard was developed specifically to slow typists down so the mechanical monstrosities of the day didn't jam the keys. As I also remember, almost any arrangement of the keys, including alphabetic (abcdefg....) is faster. The Dvorak keyboard is supposedly much faster. Not that this changes your conclusions.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Haha, oh well. I guess my computer science teacher was full of it then! Either way, I still think people can adapt to different tools to perform the tasks they need to.

Thanks for the clarification though!

I was thought by a jr high school typing teacher that the keyboard was designed that way was not necessarily to slow down the typist. It was so common letters came from different sides of the typewriter as to prevent key jams.

If that is true I have no idea - its just what I've been told by a really old lady who thought Jr high students how to type.

I was thought by a jr high school typing teacher that the keyboard was designed that way was not necessarily to slow down the typist. It was so common letters came from different sides of the typewriter as to prevent key jams.

If that is true I have no idea - its just what I've been told by a really old lady who thought Jr high students how to type.

That is correct and is a different way of looking at it. The end result is it still slows the typist down. The biggest criticism of QWERTY is that the left hand does most of the typing on a QWERTY keyboard (70%) whereas most people are right handed. The available studies trying to show the superiority of one keyboard over another (Dvorak vs QWERTY) are flawed because they don't use beginning typists. Whatever, we are stuck with it.

Best,

LEF

These "comparisons" reminds me the words of Mayor from Thessaloniki who is a "cool" man and not a classic robot (like politicians): "Don't compare yourself with others".

So I am not compare and the products. Mixer A has 1,2,3. Mixer B has 4,5,6. I make a decision what is best for me. That no mean to post something who "hurt" the image of mixer A or B and especially not the people who has a vision for it (product).

Glenn Sanders, Larry Fisher, Jon Tatooles, Jean Pierre Beauviala, Jacques Sax and many other innovators; you must have a deep respect for them because they change the methods we are working, listening and recording. We are very lucky to have the oppurtunity to be in here those innovators. What I like and don't like from one manufacturer; I am sending email or from close in shows like IBC.