External antenna for Sennheiser G2

Diego Sanchez

geez guys, that would mean that i would be the first person in the world who had tried this and succeed. been using the g2 and sony uwp installed with an sma connector nearly a year now and it hasn't failed me once.

oooo also tried it with the RF multi SMA combined with a shure active antenna and jolly me  the range it self is amazingly astonishing for such a cheap system. my modded system is more the enough for me especially on use for TV drama, TVC, ENG, and studio shoots that im not even planing to upgrade my wireless system no more.

here are some pictures of my modded system:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/111009002@N04/with/11286518415/

ooo before i forget i have to thank eric toline for giving me a tip on grounding the g2 system and also some of my friends who are RF and satellite engineers back home that made this project possible

Interesting mod, congratulations Emmanuel, is there any way to have some pictures of the interior of the G2 units ?

Is being that heavily invested in "pro-sumer" gear worth all of the work to modify? Dont get me wrong, ive owned a set of g3s for 3 years. They were used as camera link. But I didn't buy them to be my final gear solution.. Only as a stop gap until i could afford what i really wanted. I love modding and being creative with my gear... I just don't know if modding this gear is really worth the effort. And by the way, props for figuring out how to do it! Sennheiser could learn a thing or 2 from you!

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this document from Ian Sands where he explains with pictures a similar mod 

http://www.iansands.co.uk/docs/Sennheiser_Tx_aerial_mod.pdf

hey guys just got back to singapore 2 days ago. nearly forgot about  this post. EFKsound, wow that looks neat, well i do know that some of the SMA connectors doesn't necessarily need to be grounded. For the SMA connector that I purchased there's a shield and coxail needed to be attach so I soldered  (like in the picture)

1. the coxial to the PCB board 

2. the shield to one of the battery compartments

ooo not to forget make sure the cable is 50 ohms and do leave heat shrinks where the soldered connections are made. now its time to enjoy your modified G2 and G3 with mr. mi "YAGI" antennas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111009002@N04/11816111376/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111009002@N04/11815612863/

i cannot agree more that it's not the end of all solution by having these modifications. but in my honest opinion it allowed me to venture more then being limited to the factory built tx and rx.

Now what im currently working on is how to hack my TX instead of shooting 30mw it shoots 100mw. My friend was telling me the concept is the same as a TX/RX remote control where there's transistor that needs to be change in order to do so and there will be increase in the voltage to compensate for the power increase ... hmmmm anyone has any leads? cause im seriously keen on operating my G2s as a guine pig again..hihihihi

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okey...

Did some basic walk tests today around my "studio". The area is quite open, and the range is similar the the original. Was hoping for more, oh well, but I'm not suprised. You need to boost that 30mW :). One thing I did notice though, was that it was more stable sort of, didn't get that stuttering effect the G3's can have when dropping out, or when it has problems.

But you can connect sharkfins nevertheless :)

I'm gonna try it in a more crowded area as well.

just so that people here know (apart from those who already know) - the Sennheiser antenna is a simple SMA male with a steel wire coated with PVC or whatever. There are MANY vendors for this kind of antenna all over. No need to spend top dollar on the Audioroot or any such. including Sennheiser.

I am not a two bit player, in fact i have thousands of $$$ invested in gear, but - in such instances i do have alternatives i will use if i have to.

Having said this, last time i had frayed antennas on my Sennheiser receivers (IEM or IFB in our case), i did send them back to the local service center and paid for it to be replaced. Next time, i figured that the service center will sell the spare antennas to me, so i got 4 or them. Last job, i replaced two of them myself - a ten min job really - and saved myself 60% of the cost.

Just saying... :)  

just so that people here know (apart from those who already know) - the Sennheiser antenna is a simple SMA male with a steel wire coated with PVC or whatever. There are MANY vendors for this kind of antenna all over. No need to spend top dollar on the Audioroot or any such. including Sennheiser.

I am not a two bit player, in fact i have thousands of $$$ invested in gear, but - in such instances i do have alternatives i will use if i have to.

Having said this, last time i had frayed antennas on my Sennheiser receivers (IEM or IFB in our case), i did send them back to the local service center and paid for it to be replaced. Next time, i figured that the service center will sell the spare antennas to me, so i got 4 or them. Last job, i replaced two of them myself - a ten min job really - and saved myself 60% of the cost.

Just saying... :)

I know.. But i had them already, Ive learned.

Recommend me some whips? :)

• 3 weeks later...