Jump to content

External antenna for Sennheiser G2


Diego Sanchez

Recommended Posts

Is this a joke?

The active electronics is the receiver.

No joke.  If you look back through the posts you'll see information stating that the evo bodpack tx/rx antenna has some kind of component in the boot which prohibits the modification we are all discussing.

It seems that Mr Flip Star has blown the lid off this case though :P

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a counter pose inside...

There is nothing fancy here. It is just a simple wire antenna tied to the PC board by a tab. Replace it with a wire of the same length and go onward. It will work exactly the same as the original. The only counter poise is the transmitter case itself.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Not got the know or the how but keen to ask the question:

g3 and g2000 sennheisers have an adaptive diversity system that uses the output lead as the second antenna - is it possible to add an sma connector to this part of the system instead of/as well as the other antenna and would it be effective?

thanks,  dan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 12/3/2015 at 8:47 AM, daniel said:

Not got the know or the how but keen to ask the question:

g3 and g2000 sennheisers have an adaptive diversity system that uses the output lead as the second antenna - is it possible to add an sma connector to this part of the system instead of/as well as the other antenna and would it be effective?

thanks,  dan.

Hi Dan, I have been experimenting with this exact thing of late (trying to wring every last bit of value out of the G3s before I get a loan for some Zaxcoms). I haven't had a chance to do more than a cursory test, but it doesn't seem any worse than its unmodified sibling at least... One interesting thing I've noticed is that the 'B' antenna seems to have a lower level input indicated on the RF meter and drops out sooner. This was true even with it still using the audio cable shield as the antenna (having removed the stock antenna).

If you're thinking of doing this yourself, be aware that the G3 case is not designed to fit most SMA bulkhead connectors, so some modification (grinding down to fit) may be required.

I'll be doing a new post sometime soon outlining my process for this along with some DIY memory-wire whip and dipole-adapter antennas.

Cheers!

G3 Diversity SMA Mod.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2016 at 3:55 AM, Dave Williams said:

Hi Dan, I have been experimenting with this exact thing of late (trying to wring every last bit of value out of the G3s before I get a loan for some Zaxcoms). I haven't had a chance to do more than a cursory test, but it doesn't seem any worse than its unmodified sibling at least... One interesting thing I've noticed is that the 'B' antenna seems to have a lower level input indicated on the RF meter and drops out sooner. This was true even with it still using the audio cable shield as the antenna (having removed the stock antenna).

If you're thinking of doing this yourself, be aware that the G3 case is not designed to fit most SMA bulkhead connectors, so some modification (grinding down to fit) may be required.

I'll be doing a new post sometime soon outlining my process for this along with some DIY memory-wire whip and dipole-adapter antennas.

Cheers!

G3 Diversity SMA Mod.JPG

Dave,

You're a better man than I. I didn't feel confident enough to start taking my G2000s apart to even assess what would be involved. What you've posted looks great and if it works even better :-). Interesting what you say about the 'B' antenna level, I wonder what's going on there. I've never been that convinced the RX ever really use the 'B' antenna (based on occasionally watching the display), which was partly why I asked if anyone had tried modifying this part of the system. I guess sennheiser set them this way deliberately for some reason. It would be interesting to attach something like a 'paddle' (or something likely to have considerably stronger signal) to the 'B' antenna and observe how the RX responds. Do post some more pics if you get the time.

Atb,

Daniel.

Ps. I read a zaxcom system is on your horizon but have you heard about the EK 6042. Looks like it will be a versatile dual RX that'll work with sennheisers analogue and digital TX so a nice way to transit from 1 to the other perhaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2016 at 5:44 AM, daniel said:

Ps. I read a zaxcom system is on your horizon but have you heard about the EK 6042. Looks like it will be a versatile dual RX that'll work with sennheisers analogue and digital TX so a nice way to transit from 1 to the other perhaps.

I had a look and that seems pretty handy to have something that will work with all Sennheiser systems, but I get the impression it will be pretty pricey. However I'm pretty sold on the Zaxcoms, especially as I already have a Nomad 12, so will be able to take full advantage of the various extra functions :) Oh and the wideband won't hurt either!

12 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

What is a good source for the connectors and antennas? Can't find them at Markertek which has just about everything.

I got a whole bunch of connectors and RF cable (RG316) fairly cheaply off ebay. Also got some nitinol super-elastic wire to make whips with. For example - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191686834380?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got those particular connectors to make my dipole adapter (details coming to DIY section soon), but the other bulkhead ones I got for the G3s were too long so I modified these other ones by cutting off the sleeve part, grinding the hex down to fit and using hot glue to hold the coax cable core which was crimped and soldered to the centre pin. Note the gap / void where I put the second SMA. I reckon that's probably where the IEM volume control would go if this receiver had been born an IEM.

G3_RF_Mod_Inputs.jpg

SMA Grinding.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On December 8, 2013 at 4:01 AM, eombilod said:

"geez guys, that would mean that i would be the first person in the world who had tried this and succeed." - lol

"my modded system is more the enough for me especially on use for TV drama, TVC, ENG, and studio shoots that im not even planing to upgrade my wireless system no more." - I'd love to see the actual schematic of how to exactly wire it Emmanuel. I honestly felt it was possibly since the first antenna I've replaced myself on my g2/g3s. I felt that if you'd replace that stupid antennas with the sma demale connector it'd work. I'm glad you've proved my thoughts correct. Also which exact product model of the sma connector did you buy in order to replace those antennas. Cheers!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did the same about a year ago and I am very happy with it. Using proper SMA whips with G3 gives me a lot more range. Now I get the first hits where previously the connection would already have dropped completely.
The receiver switches antennae seamlessly, and I get equal level on both of them.

For the first set I used connectors from RS: http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/sma-connectors/5120036/
To mod the rest of my sets I ordered some cheaper connectors from ebay (like these). I cannot make out any difference.

Do not forget to connect ground for the second antenna.

g3m1.jpg

 

Other than the hole for the second antenna, there was absolutely no change to the case. Should I ever feel like reverting to original, its just popping the SMA out and the regular one in.

Using these connectors, you would have to remove a tiny bit of material to fit the original antenna bay:
g3m3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...