Unite MUSIC and AV RECORDING in one equipement?!

Hey! new to the site with a couple interesting question (that might interest both music producers and direct sound audiovisual recorders)

As my love and effort also goes to music, it'd be ideal to use this equipment in a music context too, to be able to manage this pre-amps from a computer. (1st question: Do you know any mixer/recorder that is also an audio interface? doubt that exists but you never know..) / 2nd question: Do you know any audio interface that has 8 digital inputs?) Another choice would be to do some A/D . D/A (from mic to ZAXCOM) and then again A/D (from ZAXCOM to audio interface) thinking that might mean some quality loss..
3rd and most important question: Do you think this kind of pre-amps would be optimal for music recording? / Did you have to set up a similar configuration? Do you have any experience on this matter?

Your comments and help would be really appreciated!!
Gracias!

1) RME makes such a beast, as do some others like Behringer.

2) Metric Halo, RME, and if your willing to consider ADAT as a digital input, lots of options.  There is some theoretic quality loss from extraneous A/D D/A passes, but when kept to a minimum, are barely detectable by ear.

3) Assuming that the preamp is the biggest factor to consider for the recording chain, no... there are lots of preamps out there that are specifically suited to music recording, and more important for your application, remote controllable, or a LOT cheaper.  That being said, the preamp makes very little difference and even cheap preamps today like the 30V rail pre's from Presonus, perform very very well, technically and sonically.  There's really not enough information given to provide a really useful response, and there's so many different opinions - general question, what's your budget?  under $1K?  $1K to $20K?  More than $20K?  More than $100K?  I can easily spend your money at almost any price point you throw at me.

**your link concerns me - looks dead, or phishing** ?

I suppose the closest thing to what you're looking at would be the Roland R-88, which doubles as an audio interface. Smaller than that would be the Sound Devices mixpre-d (although not a recorder). Most professional gear that we use has AES in and out- RME and Lynx both make very good AES PCI (e) interface cards, but if you want to go to a laptop, you'll have to buy a converter to ADAT or MADI (RME or directout)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the mention of zaxcom stuff and using it for music. This is slightly related to the topic of this thread and may be useful. I was not told until the last minute when on set mixing a film basically "There is part with a song." There was a guitar / singer combo that took place during a scene. It was a do the best you can situation. I would of brought other mics in addition if I was told about it. There was a TR50 on the singer and a Rode NTG3.  It was recorded to a Nomad at 48k 24 bits. Overall, the recording came out fairly well and clean. 

Recording I did with a TRX900LA > COS-11D and TRX742 > MKH8050… after they posted this, I was curious to see if they did any post processing and went back to match my field recording files - nada, completely dry and mix of both mics.  The closeup cuts of her sitting on the beach are the actual sync shots.

Aw shucks, thanks guys.  For a large client like that, was sort of surprised they didn't do the studio / music video playback thing, but damn, they certainly get a lot of value out of the way they did it - the new age of online and viral marketing I guess.  Anyone else got some stuff to share?  2 takes.. Ana was a pro.  She didn't play guitar, her bandmate did, but everything was live with no edits or punches.

Aw shucks, thanks guys.  For a large client like that, was sort of surprised they didn't do the studio / music video playback thing, but damn, they certainly get a lot of value out of the way they did it - the new age of online and viral marketing I guess.  Anyone else got some stuff to share?  2 takes.. Ana was a pro.  She didn't play guitar, her bandmate did, but everything was live with no edits or punches.

Hey Tom,

The TRX900LA and TRX742 going to QRX100 and from QRX100 (AES or DAC output?) to your Nagra? Sennheiser MKH8050 sounds very good to me.

Hey Tom,

The TRX900LA and TRX742 going to QRX100 and from QRX100 (AES or DAC output?) to your Nagra? Sennheiser MKH8050 sounds very good to me.

Yep QRX AES output to AJA ADA4 SRC converter, to Nagra AES inputs.  I like the 8050.  In the studio, I probably would have thrown up a U87i or maybe TLM170 for her.  The 8050 was just below the camera lower frame, rear lobe pointed down into sand - made a little pit to help eliminate wind and ocean noises, which I could not detect on the recording.  I liked the presence of the voice through the 8050, but captured more high end air, splash / spit of the voice that what I would associate with the (preferable) LDC sound, probably would have done a bit of EQ myself bring a bit of that traditional mid-presnce back in.  Of course guitar sounds live, but works for what it is, a viral web video - I don't think this made it to EU broadcast, just web.

**edit, actually - just took a quick listen again, EQ not the predominant issue to my ears, but maybe a bit of volume automation to tame the boxy breath noise.  Of course outside so no wall boundaries, but can hear the phasey body / mic / tarp on the sand sound from some of her inhales.  Side effect I guess of using a hypercardioid close mic'd on voice rather than more relaxed pattern - or move mic back but risk ambient noise floor creeping back in**

As you say a little move back the mic will be risking a ambient noise floor, but would work again. You are the boss here; you know it better. According with where the video played (web) it's very good. Think, most of devices (laptop speakers etc) isn't professional so these tiny changes for voice or guitar will not so much audible. I noticed these "tiny" differences when you said. I heard from non-professional speakers.

Very good work Tom!

AJA converter only external power?

further to the OP: the typical needs of the music world and the typical needs of the professional production sound world are different, so while the "quality" is high in professional products for both worlds, the options and operations of products vary between them, and production sound mixing productions are thus designed with high quality, but different options.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AES at 32khz (as opposed to other common sample rates like 48k)

Yes, but I don't sure if all the zaxcom products works at this low rate (With limited bandwidth), or only the wireless systems and ZFR recorders (with his 16kHz  limit). I can't see nothing about on the Nomad manual.

Yes, but I don't sure if all the zaxcom products works at this low rate (With limited bandwidth), or only the wireless systems and ZFR recorders (with his 16kHz limit). I can't see nothing about on the Nomad manual.

I don't think the zfr has aes out. Are you confusing frequency responce with sample rate?

The qrx operates it's aes output at a sample rate of 32khz because of processing power limitations.